Bands you thought you didn’t like.

Arctic Monkeys

Never bothered with them after hearing “you look good on the dance floor” song. Thought it was dreadful.
Just dismissed them and took that as representative of their music.

However after reading reviews of their new album, “The Car” thought I’d give it a listen. They certainly seem to have matured. Great album.

Anyone else had any similar epiphanies?

Radiohead back in the day, used to think most of their stuff was boring weird shit, give some of their albums a few listens though and their genius comes out.

I'm with you on the Arctic Monkeys too, I think a lot of bands when new are pressured by record companies to release some commercial stuff and it's only when they get a bit older and richer I suppose they have the confidence to release what they want, lots of examples of this.

14 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Arctic Monkeys

Never bothered with them after hearing “you look good on the dance floor” song. Thought it was dreadful.
Just dismissed them and took that as representative of their music.

However after reading reviews of their new album, “The Car” thought I’d give it a listen. They certainly seem to have matured. Great album.

Anyone else had any similar epiphanies?

Their decline is tragic. Spectacular debut and diminishing returns ever since they hung out with Josh Homme. They deserve credit for ambition and for evolving but on The Car they've evolved into a Baby Bird tribute act. 

So many bands have done that Yorkshire Scott Walker thing so much better over the years - Pulp, Richard Hawley, Cinerama, Baby Bird even Alex Turner did it better on the first Last Shadow Puppets lp. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Iggy Pop

Never understood the hype. 

Then I was introduced to “Raw Power” and the hairs on my neck stood up.

Not sure he’s done anything quite as good as that since though

I don't think there's anything he's done solo that comes near the first three Stooges lps. And part of his "hype" is kudos for being an early adopter of the Punk mythos. Subsequently he's been a bit a the mercy of the variable quality of his collaborators but he has had good songs and lps throughout his career. Sometimes his bands are a bit too polished and he needs a rawness.  Fun live too. 

Edited by Declan

Not so much a band you thought you didn’t like but a genre.

Northern soul.

Dallied with it in my teenage years because some of my peers were. Found it OK but didn’t want to explore it too much as prog rock was all the rage then.

However watched the film “Soul Boy” Good film but the music was quite entrancing. 

Delved into it and whilst there is some dross in there ( as there is with all genres) there is some real gems ( and I’m not just talking Band of Gold””

Keep the faith🙂

Japan. Wasn't impressed with the early stuff but the music grew on me. Perfect in the Walkman on a longish tube journey/pushbike ride, etc. Particularly impressed by Mick Karn, an accomplished bassist with a unique style.

Early 80's, live on OGWT...

Also impressed by the drummer, using sequenced parts. This was very early on, when the tech was really in its infancy. 

...Hmmm, shamefully, The Prodigy. I went to Knebworth to see Oasis (I know, more shame) The Manics were on too, I used to like them and wasn't in the least bit interested in the Prodigy "Fire starter's crap and they're a rubbish band!", well what can I say? It was absolutely the best day ever, I ended up disliking the Manics (due to them being incredibly dull live) but The Prodigy were stunning. I saw them a few more times when I was young and wild (lost a toenail in the mosh pit at V...) totally ace band live, songs like Warriors Dance are just boom boom boom, brilliant. They did make some rubbish music too so fairs fair.

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2023 at 3:49 PM, 2bees said:

...Hmmm, shamefully, The Prodigy. I went to Knebworth to see Oasis (I know, more shame) The Manics were on too, I used to like them and wasn't in the least bit interested in the Prodigy "Fire starter's crap and they're a rubbish band!", well what can I say? It was absolutely the best day ever, I ended up disliking the Manics (due to them being incredibly dull live) but The Prodigy were stunning. I saw them a few more times when I was young and wild (lost a toenail in the mosh pit at V...) totally ace band live, songs like Warriors Dance are just boom boom boom, brilliant. They did make some rubbish music too so fairs fair.

I’ve always dismissed the Prodigy, being in the “ Firestarter is crap” camp.

But I’ll give them a go after what you’ve said.

Now I’m getting older. I was sixteen when punk hit and I’m eternally grateful that I seemed to be at the right age at the right time. Saw the Clash and the Buzzcocks on a double bill before either got famous and there was an audience of no more than one, possibly two hundred

However 45 years later I prefer something more quiet and relaxing but not exclusively ( London Grammar, Brian Eno,Al Stewart, 70 ,s soul etc) 

Its almost a sense of guilt that I no longer like all the raucous stuff. Is this just a natural part of aging? Like our parents didn’t like the stuff on TOTP?

• 10 months later...

Sinead O Connor.

Always thought she was overrated. Didn’t like her bald head and the “ Nothing compares to you” overrated video. So took an unreasonable dislike to her

But since her passing have been subjected to ( that’s  the wrong words, more introduced to) her other stuff.

Watched a video of her duetting with Terry Hall on Dana’s “ All kinds of everything”. The song was beautiful and she looked much better with hair.

Will explore more of what she’s done.