The Great Rates Rises (2023 Edition)

0bserver

1 hour ago, majkul said:

What's the point of a rate setting meeting, when you all know already how high the hike is gonna be? Hard to turn down a free lunch?

There is no free lunch. It's procedure and nothing is decided until we vote on it. 

Commissioners wail that the cost of everything has gone up, so they must pass the increase on to ratepayers. Some of us ratepayers have also seen the cost of just about everything go up as well and have no way of increasing revenue. I guess I’ll have to keep making cut backs for everyone else. Then Douglas ratepayers say we should have an all-island rate so that people like me who hardly ever visit the place (and when they do it’s just to give money to a Douglas business, which helps them pay their rates) can pay for services and amenities we never use. I might have some sympathy if rates were means-tested, but they are not. It’s not called a Rates Demand for nothing, I suppose. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, joebean said:

Then Douglas ratepayers say we should have an all-island rate so that people like me who hardly ever visit the place (and when they do it’s just to give money to a Douglas business, which helps them pay their rates) can pay for services and amenities we never use. 

Braddan Commissioners has more commercial rateable value than Douglas Council I believe. I would post link to written answer to I think Juan Watterson Tynwald written question about this in September 2022, but Tynwald website is proving difficult. Is that fair? Is that rational for making the best use of ratepayers funds? Similar disparities elsewhere. For instance Malew has more much more rateable value than Castletown and each of the Ports, as does Arbory and Rushen. Bride does rather well in the north etc..

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2023 at 11:25 AM, Chris Thomas said:

Braddan Commissioners has more commercial rateable value than Douglas Council I believe. I would post link to written answer to I think Juan Watterson Tynwald written question about this in September 2022, but Tynwald website is proving difficult. Is that fair? Is that rational for making the best use of ratepayers funds? Similar disparities elsewhere. For instance Malew has more much more rateable value than Castletown and each of the Ports, as does Arbory and Rushen. Bride does rather well in the north etc..

Ok thanks for that Chris. What am I supposed to conclude from that and the all-island rate? 

• Like 1