New minister at D f E

Moghrey Mie

6 hours ago, NoTailT said:

He likely wanted DFE for prestige?

I can't see why someone wouldn't want DHSC as it's pretty simple these days?

They don’t want unpopular ministries, having to make unpopular decisions. I would have thought being an MHK, you enter into public service, in effect you should serve where the Chief Minister wants you. Some MHKs don’t want to get involved, would rather sit on the sidelines, some asking endless pointless questions, missing open goals. Whilst some, are invisible, but are known within their constituency, and are involved within a government department. Whilst Tim Johnston has been appointed, he will have his manifesto promise like a millstone around his neck. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

Judas Johnston springs to mind…

Sadly Tim Johnston jumped in the bandwagon in his election manifesto, and at the time, I’m sure others made similar comments. What he should have said, that he had no immediate plans to accept a COMIN role, but would review this stance after 18 months. 

The poor people of Ayre and Michael’s are now f***ed as one of their MHK’s is the Chief Minister and now the other is a Minister, who won’t have any time for their electorate. My family will not vote for these clowns at the next General Election, especially Judas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Sadly Tim Johnston jumped in the bandwagon in his election manifesto, and at the time, I’m sure others made similar comments. What he should have said, that he had no immediate plans to accept a COMIN role, but would review this stance after 18 months. 

I totally agree but he didn’t, he has lied to his voters and they won’t forgive him at the next general election.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, x-in-man said:

It doesn't even make any sense.  It says:

In his election manifesto Tim Johnston stated he wouldn't be interested in such a position as he didn't believe two government ministers should come from the same constituency.

But writing his manifesto he had no idea whether Cannan would (a) be elected and (b) become a Minister again.  More importantly he didn't say that anyway, what he said was:

I repeat my clear commitment that if I am elected on September 23rd, I will not take on a ministerial position in the new administration. If asked, I may well become a departmental member to understand better the workings of Government but ultimately, my main priority is to serve you, the people of Ayre and Michael, and in doing so, to build trust and to ensure you have an approachable, accountable Member of the House of Keys working on your behalf.

Now you may think that this is a silly commitment to give, but it's pretty clear and it's not for the reason that was stated in the article.  I suppose the 'two Ministers' thing may have been dreamt up by Manx Radio (I haven't heard the full interview) but it looks more like something from Johnston.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/15/2023 at 6:59 PM, Last Ten said:

The poor people of Ayre and Michael’s are now f***ed as one of their MHK’s is the Chief Minister and now the other is a Minister, who won’t have any time for their electorate. My family will not vote for these clowns at the next General Election, especially Judas.

Ah yes the hectic busyness of managing the affairs of Ayre and Michael. Is that not what Commissioners are for? What is there in A&M beyond dog litter that is not national anyway?

As an Ayre and Michael constituent, all I can say is this is the first time I have heard him speak and yes, I am disappointed and no, he won’t be getting my vote next time round. Reversing the principle you were elected on is not a negotiable matter. 
Having said that, I can understand the position the equally disappointing Cannan was facing; a number of Ministerial appointments to fill from a very small pool of half-decent candidates. Politics on the Island has simply not moved forward in the last 20 years, at a time when issues become more complex; more imagination is needed and more quality is required to secure our future success. However, we persist with a system which attracts opportunistic, one trick ponies, egotists and social climbers, many of whom have very thin records of ever actually achieving anything and are prepared to come to the electorate with a few pages if bullshit and “commitments” that they don’t often have the decency to actually commit to. It’s a poor system of so-called democracy destined to produce poor results. 

Edited by joebean
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3