School Teachers... Your Memories...

Last Ten

Certainly did! He f*cked off and left us to become an MHK or something like that, totally ruined our maths education that guy did! He was pretty cool like you say he did crazy things that made you not do stuff again. After he left we had some woman who used to sit on her desk with her legs open swinging them showing everyone her knickers.

Anyone else have a Math teacher at St. Ninian's called Mr Shimmin. He was quite strict but good natured. However, if you ever chewed gum in class he'd make you hold it in your hand for the rest of the lesson.

I think he's a politician now (or was).

More teachers from SNHS ...

Mr Moore - Fab teacher actually made RE lesson's bearable.

Mr Cole - Was always a bit scared of him (very loud voice)

Mr Mills - Top teacher, great sense of humour - made Chemistry interesting!!

Dr. Mc Nally - Mad American but excellent teacher

Mr Cottier (Headteacher at that time) NO COMMENT!!!

I had such a great respect for Mr Moore, he always took the time to encourage theological/philosophical debate, regardless of where the debate took us. And i will always appreciate him sharing his emotions and what went on in his mind during the birth of his daughter, a story which was relevant to the lesson at the time, but was something so deeply personal many teachers would not have dared to share.

Mr mills was a great teacher and very funny, but he had a nickname for me which annoyed the hell outta me!

Dr. McNally, wow, how she used to shout at me! we often got into blazing shouting matches across her classroom and i was in more trouble due to being in her class in my GCSE year than i was in for all my other classes combined. Little did she know that i had a massive crush on her!!

Only ever had Mr Cole for 1 lesson, he was filling in for an absent teacher, he did the lesson on the events leading up to world war 1, it was first time i had heard about the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, but he presented the material with such passion, and with a great method of recapping and nut-shelling what we had just heard that it has stuck with me so well i can remember the entire lesson even though it was nearly 20 years ago, and i couldn't tell you what i did last monday!

And the award for Thread Necromancy 2011 goes to......

Dont start giving out awards for thread necromancy, i don't want that damn martial arts one that references me in it to surface for a 4th or is it 5th time! my student take the piss for weeks whenever it happens!

Also at Balla from the late 80's-early 90's era....

Mr Mckay - RE teacher with a pronounced double chin

Mr Kane - Number 2 in the horrible bastard stakes to the late Jeff Vaukins....smoked his pipe all round the school and had an explosive temper which would often result in him committing what would be classed as assault these days.

Miss Schofield - Geography teacher - Spent most of her classes trying to get her to say 'fowestry' for obvious reasons !!

Mr Pryke - Wild eyed English teacher...pretty decent bloke

Mr Matthews - Another decent bloke and one of the founder members of the after school drinking club at the woody !!

The only teacher worthy of a mention was Mr McSheffery (although more correctly Dr McSheffery.)

For those who did not have the honor of meeeting him, he was a huge bear of a man with a brain to equal the best computer and a heart of gold.

He was a world chess grandmaster and (for some time) world draughts champion.

He was head of Maths at Balla (and head of that crazy new subject 'Computers') he insisted that during his time there that if he was to teach the top set (to challange them) that he should also teach the bottom set (as they needed his help the most.)

Every time I used to try and sneak out for a quick smoke by asking if I could use the toilet, he would ask me if i was going for a ciggie, every time I would dutifully answer of course not. At this point he would ask me to jump on the spot and when he heard the matches in my pocket he would tell me to leave them on his desk. It got to a point where he would just tell me to pop my matches on his desk (and he would always return them) if I asked for a loo break.

He was the chair of the IOM branch of Mensa........but the new of the invention of the cigerette light seemed to have escaped him!

In truth looking back, he knew there was a lighter in my pocket. It takes a special kind of person to knowing let an oink think that they have got one over on them.

In the words of Hagrid........A Great Man (RIP)

How about 'Gunger din' the art teacher?

Possibly the first black person I had ever seen close up.

We used to spend many a lunchtime exploring under the stage in the hall closest to H block.

I remember seeing Mark Bennett (Benny the punk) getting slapped all round the gym by Robbie Teare. Scary but funny at the same time. Marshall and Phillips were complete twats, but always found Jakey Hogg's lessons strangely interesting. Best teachers for me were Mr McSheffrey, but if you got moved up, you got his wife who didn't have the same teaching skills unfortunately, and Ray Corlett at Park Road, what a great guy he was.

Mrs Gillings was strangely erotic. Well, not really strangely, she just had large breasts. :D

• 3 months later...

I was in Balla in the early 80s. I like to share a few memories before old age gets me. This thread has brought a few back!

Mr Phillips was the head. Mr Marshall was deputy and also taught history. There was another deputy head who might had been called Mr Cretney?

Mr Cooil was the PE teacher and was far from cool tempered, constantly throwing people in the pool and went off for a year to travel. Many speculated that he was suspended from teaching. His replacement for a year was really good. He taught me to swim better, something Cooil was incapable of.

Mr Corrin was a typical sports teacher and probably put loads of kids off sport, especially Rugby. Mr McGregor, I liked, I understood that he did some teaching in South Africa. Mr Teare was nice. I heard he passed away but not surprised he looked old when he taught me!

Mr Ball the woodwork teacher also taught maths and taught me maths. Never really been good at maths and no surprise as the woodwork teacher taught me! I used to see him in several summers in the late 80s playing in a band in some hotel in Douglas Promenade.

There has been no mention of Mr Speers who taught metalwork and also had a shop in Douglas. Also no mention of Mr Kissack who taught woodwork and his daughter who became a RE teacher in the school.

Mrs Sissons the cookery teacher. This was a lady who nowadays would not be allowed anywhere near a school. I was aware that other teachers were scared of her. She must have put a whole generation off cooking.

Mr Godden was the Japanese art teacher who could be stern. I met him after he retired and was very nice. Mrs Christian taught me art, she was very nice in the class room. No mention of Mrs Cove who taught arts and crafts.

I think it was Mrs Clegg the older english teacher who put on a lot of make up. Mrs Watson the head of French was good, there was an elderly french teacher whose name I cannot recall, who should had been put out to grass a long time ago.

I actually liked Mr Vaukins the history teacher, Then again it was his first year at school when he taught us. He was a sporty type, a fellow pupil recalled seeing some pictures of him in a pub during some function with lots of trophys and I can understand why some may find him boorish with a sportsman's humour. I only found out recently he passed away in 2007.

Mr McCay was the RE teacher who made all 1st year pupils sing that song with the tune from Mull of Kintyre. I noticed how evangelical the RE teachers were, they used to hold sing songs in the summer by the beach near Port Jack chippy with church groups and invited you to join in. I bet these days you have to be an atheist to be a RE teacher!

There was a music teacher called Mr Porter who had nice sense of humour, he may had left the school in the early 80s. I used to see him a lot in the bookies in Douglas. Actually managed to learn some music with him.

No mention of Miss Devreaux the Geography teacher. She always accused me of skiving school as she saw me at town once instead of school. No explanation what she was doing out of school at that time. My excuse was I was ill and leaving the doctor to go to Maleys chemist at Strand St. If I looked cheerful, it was because I was not in school.

Nobody seems yo have mentioned the science teachers, were they so anonymous!

Given the number of years ago I left school I would presume rather a few of the teachers are no longer with us.

Edited by prism10

Don't know Miss Bees, she was said to be around Farmhill a few years ago. She was a really scary woman. I was taught domestic sciece (as it then was) by Mrs Gardener, Scottish lady, still a bit scary, but she was OK really and reminded us of the Flash ad ('Cleans floors without scratching' in a Glaswegian accent, for those that remember it). That was back in the early 70s though.

I can't remember many of our teachers; Mrs Musgrove our form mistress and English teacher; an RE teacher who used to bounce up and down when we didn't agree that God was real (her brother had the chemists in Granville Street) and Gareth Jones the PE teacher who was a push over on the 'can't do PE/swimming/athletics/cross country today sir, just can't' then blush gag. We should have been terminally anaemic!

Is that horrible woman sissons dead yet? No love lost there. Mr Miller the science teacher was the best teacher in the world, ever.

I reckon she was in her 50s when she taught me, so she would be in her 80s if she is still alive. I wonder if she ever in a quiet moment realised how unsuited she was to teaching. It would be safe to say that not one of her pupil will say, she was a good teacher, I liked her unless they are related to her.

Same goes for Mr Cooil the sports teacher, who only became a teacher it seems so he could throw kids into the pool with or without their clothes on. I wonder now if he realises just what a poor teacher he was, imagine him telling his friends, I was a bad teacher, totally incapable of teaching kids how to swim and all I will be remembered for would be as a bully!

He went on to teach Maths & Computers at Castle Rushen. Must have been ok at the latter because even I got an o'level in it.

Used to pick kids up by their ears and the scruff of their necks or ears, luckily Maths classrooms don't have swimming pools.

Is that horrible woman sissons dead yet? No love lost there. Mr Miller the science teacher was the best teacher in the world, ever.

She is still about although she has lost the plot now. had dealings with her through work and she still thought she taught the islands best chiefs how to cook. She is a lonely old spinster.