The Great Snow of 2023

0bserver

Remember when there was a couple of inches that fell mid morning a few years ago that caused havoc with the schools closing at lunch time.

That was utter chaos so I am glad they made the decision early doors to avoid putting us in that situation again.

The satellite pictures don’t look great later on and into tomorrow but I guess we will have to wait and see if that changes much.

Edited by immortalpuppet
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

Can’t understand why mountain road is closed? It’s completely clear on webcams, meanwhile sun is out in Douglas 

Yes, I know - and that's why it's not you making the decision - because you can't understand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Holte End said:

I don't believe it is the DESC decision to close the schools, Dan Davies does not work in  DESC, he CEO of Home Affairs and he has said on Manx radio " We decided to close the Schools". So it looks to me like the emergency services must have made the decision.

“we” is government. It’s a cross departmental decision what opens and closes, and when.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Lessons learned from the pandemic maybe? A case of guarenteed premature interruption in service to avoid a potential disruption in service.

Pretty much I’d say. Let’s just do nothing. Because government has the luxury of doing nothing in the face of it alternatively having to do something that might be a bit inconvenient. It saves money to doing nothing. Douglas is like a ghost town all over nothing. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, SuperHans said:

Pretty much I’d say. Let’s just do nothing. Because government has the luxury of doing nothing in the face of it alternatively having to do something that might be a bit inconvenient. It saves money to doing nothing. Douglas is like a ghost town all over nothing. 

Do you have car or house insurance?

Why do you pay it?

Have you ever made a claim?

Some people spend a fortune on insurance to cover their vehicles, their lives, their homes. Some never make a claim, but, if the worst happens they know they are covered. 

That's what today is like. 😘

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Stop it. 

The DESC makes the decision based on information from the meteorological experts. They base their decision on the safety of the children.

A day off is never given lightly. The national curriculum is prescriptive to the hour and work missed on one day must be caught up on the next. 

The weather may be ok right now but if this snow comes in as forecast then you would have thousands of pupils and staff stranded in schools with no way of getting home. It has happened in the past and it’s a bloody nightmare scenario. 

Try and see past the end of your nose. 

This. I'm having a very rare day off, and loving it tbh, if still trying to justify it!!

Reading Salaman Rushdie's latest,when a potential new client phoned up. Ruined the spell he was weaving. Very, very, selfish behaviour!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I think our topography and equipment available to combat icy roads means you aren't comparing like to like, but as already said, I am in full self-justification mode.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Why do you pay it?

Some people spend a fortune on insurance to cover their vehicles, their lives, their homes. Some never make a claim, but, if the worst happens they know they are covered. 

No it isn’t. I claim on my car insurance when something happens not when nothing happens. Our whole system of government has just given up. Let’s just throw a sickie today. It’s easier than dealing with something that actually happens. 

• Haha 1

The thing is, today's snow break costs me £210 in lost income.

There will be many more people worse off.

What is the cost of this to non government workers?

Can the brains in Government create a Red/Amber/Green system for this meteorogical phenomenon?

Or is some over excited civil servant executive creaming his pants at hitting the 'Everbridge' button? 

16 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Why do you pay it?

Well it’s not I’m afraid.

By that logic schools would be closed every day just in case of a natural disaster occurring that would jeopardize pupil safety.

• Like 1