John Wright

13 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I always thought that if those divers hadn't gone down so fast they would have lost their eardrums.

That actually happened to me once diving.  Blocked sinuses threw out my ear equalisation at about 30m.  Feeling something explode inside your head was interesting and unpleasant. 

Pros and cons though.  Meant I didn't have to listen to any nagging for a while. 

Edited by The Phantom

2 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

You realise that picture isn't of the explosion, lot less dramatic than that

That's Devon - EVRYTHING is more dramatic down that part of the country.

Jezz, you should see the explosions in Cornwall.  Split the world in half it did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A long time ago I was living not too far away from (but definitely not adjacent to) where Princess Anne was living with some geezer. An unfortunate person driving nearby her place ran out of petrol, so left his car by the roadside. When he returned, gallon can of petrol in hand, the bomb squad had blown up his car. I wonder what his insurance claim said.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

A long time ago I was living not too far away from (but definitely not adjacent to) where Princess Anne was living with some geezer. An unfortunate person driving nearby her place ran out of petrol, so left his car by the roadside. When he returned, gallon can of petrol in hand, the bomb squad had blown up his car. I wonder what his insurance claim said.

Could have been worse, someone could have towed it away and sold it at auction! 🤣

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Do the bomb experts use explosives for controlled explosions? I suppose they are not as dramatic in real life ..

Yes.  Although only a small directed amount. Resultant explosion size is really then dependent on whether the UXB was live or not.  Usually with stuff that has washed up or been buried for years, the explosives will have degraded and it will be a bit of a damp squib.  Contrary to unexploded ordinance in a warzone, which will usually be live and fresh = big bang.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Yes.  Although only a small directed amount. Resultant explosion size is really then dependent on whether the UXB was live or not.  Usually with stuff that has washed up or been buried for years, the explosives will have degraded and it will be a bit of a damp squib.  Contrary to unexploded ordinance in a warzone, which will usually be live and fresh = big bang.

Nobody ever expects a noteworthy bang in Rsmsey. 

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, adonisdavid said:

My name is Adonis David and I am an Insurance agent.I have seen your query now .Unfortunately, the insurance company would not cover the damages caused by the bomb squad in this instance. The insurance claim would likely cover the cost of the petrol, but not the car itself.

Well, that is a real disappointed. Car blown up and everything. But perhaps I should forward this reference to Gladys or Roxanne - maybe they would be interested in contacting an Adonis. It's got to be better than anything else slingeing around on Manx Forums.