Homelessness on the island-What are they DOING about it?

Moghrey Mie

The principal issue here is that deep down we are too comfortable as a nation. Most of us despite the current economic squeeze are doing ok. For most, the biggest issue is whether to have chicken or steak for tea - or whether we go to Benidorm or a Cruise to the Med.

Unfortunately, our distance from the reality of the less fortunate is multiplied by 10 for most politicians, who in the main are so out of touch with anything outside their Tynwald bubble that I lost faith in every single one of them some time back. Chris Thomas is, in my opinion, the epitome of the wittering fool who if he is really as intelligent and intellectually brilliant as he tries to portray, conceals it spectacularly well.

Between him and Moorehouse…I rest my case.

22 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

The principal issue here is that deep down we are too comfortable as a nation. Most of us despite the current economic squeeze are doing ok. For most, the biggest issue is whether to have chicken or steak for tea - or whether we go to Benidorm or a Cruise to the Med.

Unfortunately, our distance from the reality of the less fortunate is multiplied by 10 for most politicians, who in the main are so out of touch with anything outside their Tynwald bubble that I lost faith in every single one of them some time back. Chris Thomas is, in my opinion, the epitome of the wittering fool who if he is really as intelligent and intellectually brilliant as he tries to portray, conceals it spectacularly well.

Between him and Moorehouse…I rest my case.

Empty vessels make the most noise perhaps?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, english zloty said:

Yes for Griah however Kymerreck (Sp?) was a different thing but both funded in part by the taxpayer.

You are right to mention various housing charities which work with Government agencies closely.

Graih closed its emergency night shelter last autumn, having already decided for a few years that it needed to pull back from its involvement. For instance it did not express an interest in providing emergency housing and housing first support with Government in October 2020. Wonderfully Broadway Baptist Church still provides day time drop in support. Graih - The homelessness charity

Housing Matters continues to give support, advice and guidance for those in housing crisis.

Manx Housing Trust is the longest running body and it provides a crucial transition for many into public housing.

Edited by Chris Thomas
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chris Thomas said:

You are right to mention various housing charities which work with Government agencies closely.

Graih closed its emergency night shelter last autumn, having already decided for a few years that it needed to pull back from its involvement. For instance it did not express an interest in providing emergency housing and housing first support with Government in October 2020. Wonderfully Broadway Baptist Church still provides day time drop in support. Graih - The homelessness charity

Housing Matters continues to give support, advice and guidance for those in housing crisis.

Manx Housing Trust is the longest running body and than provides a crucial transition for many into public housing.

And so the years go by and people come out of prison with nowhere to live.

10 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

And so the years go by and people come out of prison with nowhere to live.

That isn't true. There is a facility in Tromode and other services are provided. Probation and others will be working to deal with the current situation, and nobody denies the current arrangements need significant enhancement, for those leaving prison and for others who end up with no fixed abode and need additional services.

Edited by Chris Thomas

On 3/10/2023 at 9:37 AM, Moghrey Mie said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/bed-and-breakfast-accommodation-used-to-house-islands-homeless/

Well done to the Manx Radio interviewer for trying to get an answer out of Chris Thomas.

It will all be wonderful in the future.

There was nothing vague about my answer - just nothing new to add to what I have outlined previously.

Emergency shelter is provided in bed and breakfasts to some, through adult social care and others. It was decided not to replace the Graih facility. A strategic partnership will be announced.

This was summarised at the end of February in Tynwald by the Chief Minister as follows:

"When the Housing and Communities Board published its Action Plan in March 2022, it set out to design a pathway for individuals requiring emergency overnight shelter. Work by the Board to undertake a strategic review of homelessness took place last summer and its findings informed the Board that the causes and subsequent needs of those facing homelessness were wide-ranging in complexity, and unlikely to be solved by single interventions such as an emergency shelter. However, following the unexpected closure of Graih, the Island’s only homeless shelter, in September of last year, the Board’s attention turned to exploring alternative provision. Whilst one proposal was received from a local third sector organisation, it could not be concluded that the service proposal would meet the actual service user needs and therefore was pursued no further. I must advise that for anyone presenting in need of an overnight emergency shelter, an existing pathway in Adult Social Care is available to support an individual’s access to local B&Bs. Similarly, those seeking daytime shelter are able to access a drop-in centre gratefully operated by the Broadway Baptist Church. Looking forward, the Housing and Communities Board continues to work on homelessness and is taking an evidence-based and needs-informed approach to pathway design. In the coming weeks, the Board will announce a strategic partnership with a number of third sector organisations who will be tasked with developing a strategy to address homelessness and to consider appropriate pathways services and mechanisms."

Hey @Chris Thomaswhile you're here did you note my point?

On 3/10/2023 at 10:18 AM, TheTeapot said:

If someone is homeless and jobless, to receive a JSA payment the person must attend Markwell House 5 days a week before 10am. Changing that punitive measure to something less unhelpful would be a decent start.

I know benefits aren't part of your remit DoI, but did you even know your government goes out of its way to make things more difficult for people who need help?

On 3/10/2023 at 10:05 AM, jackwhite said:

There seems to be a belief that there isn't any or much homelessness on the Isle of Man. Having done some work with Graih it's definitely not the case. A lot of people sleeping in cars, sofa surfing and such like.

Even then and for the most vulnerable, it's extremely difficult to find them anywhere.

I know of such accommodation such as these b&bs that was bought by someone recently and they've emptied it out those on bail and such like. Otherwise they would struggle to rent and run it. 

Can see why a buyer would do this but obviously won't help the situation.

That said I also know of a property owner who tried to discuss letting his building to IOMG as a halfway house. He was met with apathy and constant roadblocks and gave up in the end, albeit leaving the offer open should they decide to come back to him.

Thanks for your work with Graih. That organisation, and other charities, have been instrumental in recognising homelessness and then turning around the approach to supporting people with no fixed abode. Various property options have been offered and explored. The need for smaller arrangements rather than a hostel is key.

Just now, Chris Thomas said:

Thanks for your work with Graih. That organisation, and other charities, have been instrumental in recognising homelessness and then turning around the approach to supporting people with no fixed abode. Various property options have been offered and explored. The need for smaller arrangements rather than a hostel is key.

So why did High Bailiff Jayne Hughes make comments about there being nowhere suitable to send somebody?

So that is the plan for people coming out of prison.

What are your plans on the poor people who return from off island to find their property sold?

Pleased note, just saying the officers followed the rules in not an answer when in this case it is blatantly obvious the rules are wrong.

On 3/10/2023 at 10:32 AM, Roxanne said:

Can someone tell me why it closed? It was doing such good work.

"The decision has been taken with deep regret following a review of resourcing levels and an assessment regarding the long-term sustainability of services", in Graih's own words.  Taxpayer funds had co-funded the night shelter and Graih had hoped to continue its operation until end-March 2023 but was forced to cease operations at end September 2022. 

Graih - The homelessness charity

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

So why did High Bailiff Jayne Hughes make comments about there being nowhere suitable to send somebody?

The Manx Independent reported:

"Caley's probation officer said that he had since been assessed for a place at Tromode House, the probation accommodation, but it could not provide the amount of support Caley would need. His probation officer then tried to get him a place at Viva Heights, an adult care home on the Island, providing support and assistance to people with a diagnosis of mental illness. However she said that Caley would also have to be assessed for a place there, and that funding had to be in place, which could take around a week, or even longer, as it was very expensive. Mrs Hughes asked if Caley had been living in the community before he was arrested. His probation officer said that he had, but he had not been able to look after himself properly, so there would be concerns if he had no support." 

12 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Hey @Chris Thomaswhile you're here did you note my point?

I know benefits aren't part of your remit DoI, but did you even know your government goes out of its way to make things more difficult for people who need help?

Thanks for feedback. Sanctions are only a small part of our social security system, especially compared to across; and I want the system to be fair and supportive. 

On 3/10/2023 at 11:06 PM, A fool and his money..... said:

I can't work out whether Chris Thomas is just completely out of his depth or whether he's just the worst possible kind of self-serving, self-promoting politician.

"rolling out a mattress in the basement of a church was not ideal, so we'll replace it with absolutely nothing for a few years while we have some meetings about meetings, Oh and if you're not happy about that then he's a list of other departments you can blame."

What a bloody idiot!

Please don't use "...." if you are neither quoting anything I have ever said and are in fact making things up.

Emergency shelter is still provided.

Government will neither be commissioning nor running an emergency shelter like Graih used to do.

There are no meetings, never mind meetings about meetings.

DHA is responsible for probation. DHSC and DHA have various statutory duties and powers which relate to people's housing.

Edited by Chris Thomas