Homelessness on the island-What are they DOING about it?

Moghrey Mie

5 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Please don't use "...." if you are neither quoting anything I have ever said and are in fact making things up.

Emergency shelter is still provided.

Government will neither be commissioning nor running an emergency shelter like Graih used to do.

There are no meetings, never mind meetings about meetings.

DHA is responsible for probation. DHSC and DHA have various statutory duties and powers which relate to people's housing.

But I don't think we have legislation saying that people must be housed do we?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

But I don't think we have legislation saying that people must be housed do we?

You are right, and I believe we need homelessness defined and then responsibility allocated. I outlined an approach in February Tynwald as follows:

" I think personally there is a perfectly adequate definition (of homelessness in) in the social security capital budgeting emergency loans arrangements which were brought in inJuly 2022. So for instance, in that piece of secondary legislation in July 2022:

(1D) A person is homeless if he has no accommodation available for his occupation, in the Island or elsewhere, which he – (a) is entitled to occupy by virtue of an interest in it or by virtue of an order of a court; (b) has an express or implied licence to occupy; or (c) occupies as a residence by virtue of any enactment or rule of law giving him the right to remain in occupation or restricting the right of another person to recover possession.

(1E) A person is also homeless if he has accommodation but – (a) he cannot secure entry to it; or (b) it consists of a moveable structure, vehicle or vessel designed or adapted for human habitation and there is no place where he is entitled or permitted both to place it and to reside in it.

(1F) A person shall not be treated as having accommodation unless it is accommodation which it would be reasonable for him to continue to occupy.

So that definition that was already worked up for Mrs Maltby by legislative drafters will form the basis of drafting instructions for the whole of the forthcoming Housing and Communities Bill, as far as I am concerned, at this stage."

The DoI might need to be responsible, or it could be a Housing Association or similar. No local authority seems to want to take this responsibility.

Edited by Chris Thomas

34 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

You are right, and I believe we need homelessness defined and then responsibility allocated. I outlined an approach in February Tynwald as follows:

" I think personally there is a perfectly adequate definition (of homelessness in) in the social security capital budgeting emergency loans arrangements which were brought in inJuly 2022. So for instance, in that piece of secondary legislation in July 2022:

(1D) A person is homeless if he has no accommodation available for his occupation, in the Island or elsewhere, which he – (a) is entitled to occupy by virtue of an interest in it or by virtue of an order of a court; (b) has an express or implied licence to occupy; or (c) occupies as a residence by virtue of any enactment or rule of law giving him the right to remain in occupation or restricting the right of another person to recover possession.

(1E) A person is also homeless if he has accommodation but – (a) he cannot secure entry to it; or (b) it consists of a moveable structure, vehicle or vessel designed or adapted for human habitation and there is no place where he is entitled or permitted both to place it and to reside in it.

(1F) A person shall not be treated as having accommodation unless it is accommodation which it would be reasonable for him to continue to occupy.

So that definition that was already worked up for Mrs Maltby by legislative drafters will form the basis of drafting instructions for the whole of the forthcoming Housing and Communities Bill, as far as I am concerned, at this stage."

The DoI might need to be responsible, or it could be a Housing Association or similar. No local authority seems to want to take this responsibility.

1996 in UK

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/52/part/VII

And 2018

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/homelessness-code-of-guidance-for-local-authorities/overview-of-the-homelessness-legislation

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Chris Thomas said:

Thanks for your work with Graih. That organisation, and other charities, have been instrumental in recognising homelessness and then turning around the approach to supporting people with no fixed abode. Various property options have been offered and explored. The need for smaller arrangements rather than a hostel is key.

What do you mean by "smaller arrangements"?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Similar!

I trust that the homeless are not being housed in any of the many undeclared HMO’s around Douglas, as these don’t have any regs, particularly fire regs at all.

but the current system does not seem to have anyone policing it ,I haven't seen an environmental officer  or housing inspector  in Douglas for years  too busy nature watching or worrying about our lack of carbon footprint in St Johns ,

and I cant believe all of the council and government properties were conveniently air brushed out of the landlords legislation , how is anyone expected to take this government seriously regarding housing issues 

I'm still waiting for Chris Thomas to admit that the latest housing crisis is mostly caused by a government fueled property boom. There are new homes going up all over the Island as fast as they can build them, mostly sold to overseas buyers, investors, landlords and second home buyers. Yet we have a homelessness problem. It doesn't take a genius Chris...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Just 27 years after the UK defined homelessness and brought in legislation.

The Isle of Man is still thinking about it.

That's because the Island doesn't have a homeless problem, in a similar vein to it not having a significant drugs problem. Or unemployment, or poverty. Nothing like any of those problems exist here, ever have or ever will. Anybody from Tynwald will tell you that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I'm still waiting for Chris Thomas to admit that the latest housing crisis is mostly caused by a government fueled property boom. There are new homes going up all over the Island as fast as they can build them, mostly sold to overseas buyers, investors, landlords and second home buyers. Yet we have a homelessness problem. It doesn't take a genius Chris...

IOMG have just introduced higher land registration fees for  properties over main residence so maybe help a bit but capital gains taxes would be bigger earners 

21 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

But the people who are homeless are not looking to buy. They want somewhere decent to live.