Crogga

Dr Beeching

3 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

They are either investors or in the brainwashed brigade. 

We all know that we, the Manx people, will see no benefits from the Crogga. All the wealth will be sucked up and hidden within all the dodgy trust funds and investment hawks along Athol Street. 

Just look at the North Sea gas and oil in the 1980s. It the same lies then as it is now in terms of the wealth going to the government (not)

"We, the Manx People.. ",  you're not my spokesperson, nor are you representative.

Miserable Manx crab....

Start a poll of the Manx public whether they support Crogga or not and let's see eh?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, b4mbi said:

"We, the Manx People.. ",  you're not my spokesperson, nor are you representative.

Miserable Manx crab....

Start a poll of the Manx public whether they support Crogga or not and let's see eh?

Sadly the IOM seems to be too full of enviro wankers the deluded followers of Daphne at the moment. Middle class Tarquins who get their world view from Twitter. A lot of them work for government too. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 6/1/2023 at 9:36 AM, The Phantom said:

Probably this. 

Shale gas and fracking tends to go in and out of fashion (especially in the States) depending on the price of gas, as it's very labour intensive and expensive to do.  However I guess that drilling at sea appears to be a fairly viable proposition from a cost point of view.  I think the plan is also to tie it into the existing processing facilities in the Irish Sea, so this would make it even more viable, as Crogga wouldn't have to put in place the whole infrastructure. 

It's still going to require a lot of investment. to get to that point.

2 hours ago, Maugholdmafia said:

They are either investors or in the brainwashed brigade. 

We all know that we, the Manx people, will see no benefits from the Crogga. All the wealth will be sucked up and hidden within all the dodgy trust funds and investment hawks along Athol Street. 

Just look at the North Sea gas and oil in the 1980s. It the same lies then as it is now in terms of the wealth going to the government (not)

So places like Shetland, Aberdeen, Montrose, Tyneside, Great Yarmouth and many other UK east coast towns and cities never benefited from those years of Oil and latterly gas development? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 6/1/2023 at 12:11 AM, offshoremanxman said:

Can’t see anything from government there. You’re just talking through your arse. 

You are right , I took the info when looking to invest personally which I couldn’t unfortunately afford and you can no longer register to get the info. Let me see if I can dig it out and attach.

On 6/1/2023 at 12:11 AM, offshoremanxman said:

Can’t see anything from government there. You’re just talking through your arse. 

You are right , the info was available when you registered to see if you wanted to invest , which I wanted to do personally but could not afford in the end . I will see if I still have the data to share if I can find it . The benefit to the IOM is huge . 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ian rush said:

Source? Short cut to market contrary to established industry practice recommended by hired expert and investors? Where do we sign up? ‘Best way’ for the company sounds like they havent got the cash to do it properly.

I ask again. Show me a project in a responsible jurisdiction where no seismic survey before drilling is allowed. 

all the data required to drill in a specific location has been obtained from BP plus the 2D seismic work Crogga did . So the seismic work for where they want to drill has been done .

some of the history todate .

Crogga has to determine the gas flow rate . If good then they will do a full 3 D seismic of the the whole field to determine other areas to drill . 

Everyone seems to have their knickers in a twist , drilling in manx territorial waters when it was under the UK territory has been done numerous times before .

There has been one gas discovery made in 1982 by BP Petroleum Development Limited, in the same area which Crogga is now looking to exploit. However, it was in UK waters at the time, so the island wouldn’t have benefited commercially from it anyway. 

BP later plugged and abandoned the well. That licence expired in 1985 and the company relinquished the area.

After negotiations with the UK gov, the Isle of Man acquired the rights to territorial waters up to 12 miles from the island’s coast. This included all hydrocarbon, coal and mineral rights. 

This is a key moment as it means that the Crogga site moved from being in the UK to Manx waters. 

BP applied for Block 112/19 off the Point of Ayre, as part of the first Isle of Man offshore licencing round. The block was awarded to another comapny who subsequently drilled a dry hole in the Solway Basin along with two other dry holes in the Peel basin. BP also applied for and was awarded an Out of Round licence for block 112/25 and the adjacent sections of blocks 112/30, 113/16 and 113/21.

BP completed its studies of the area and decided against drilling an appraisal well.

BP relinquished the licence

In a 1997 presentation to the Isle of Man Government, BP stated that the discovery and prospects were summarised as: ‘Not economically attractive’, ‘discovered volume small’, ‘risk on reservoir delivery high’ and ‘cost of standalone development too high’.

Everything went quite quiet for some time but it is at this time that Crogga said members of its management team were involved in surveying and desktop work relating to Block 112/25.

The gov announces that it has awarded Crogga a licence following a bidding process held between September and December 2017.

• Thanks 2

IMG_5992.PNG.ae98541ae3b0a0bb7026c9f9d8c9d7e1.PNG

I found this old news paper newspaper cutting photo which I kept and it shows the close relationship between where BP previously drilled and where Crogga intend to drill .

- red dot BP

- white dot Crogga 

Based  on the info they have from the 2D seismic work they have already done themselves together with the data they have obtained from BP from their previous drill and seismic work done.

The only blocker to finding out whether the IOM can develop this Gas Field is the IOM government. As they are dragging their feet on issuing variation in the licence which I think Crogga applied for back in Oct/Nov last year and I understand based on the good faith shown by the ministers at the time ( not so much from the DOI ) Crogga have pushed forward with raising the money on condition that they get the variation , booking the rig due to the limited time frame within which they have to deliver, and in the meantime despite numerous requests from Crogga to the DOI to meet they have refused to meet and delayed , delayed and delayed.

if this is all true it’s another sad testament of our Government failings and they will say Crogga did not deliver within the time frame …….

in the meantime they continue to spend tax payers money like its going out of fashion 

I struggle to see what the government has to loose in this .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ian rush said:

The seismic survey they want to skip is 3d. There’s a big difference in cost and data yield. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/318960536_Pros_and_cons_of_2D_vs_3D_seismic_mineral_exploration_surveys

They are not looking to skip anything as you put it. There is indeed a big difference in the data between the two. But as stated Crogga have the BP data from the discovery well for this specific area which they drilled and subsequently plugged , together with the former head of BP geological exploration as their CEO who oversaw the discovery well, and I also understand, former geologists who worked on the project who have a detailed knowledge and data of the specific area they wish to drill to test the flow rate. If the flow rate is commercial then they proceed with the 3D seismic of the whole field to determine where the other well heads will be located ( the whole project will be subsea once drilled - you will not see it ) from the information provide I understand it makes practical and economic sense to do it this way and obviously will have been discussed with all stakeholders and not contentious.

I understand the issue highlight earlier is that the Government does not have the regs in place  ( they were probably banking on Crogga not raising the funds and hoping it goes away ) . They could adopt The NSTA regs if they wanted to as in my opinion it would be crazy for the IOM to create there own regs for a one off drill  which will not happen again. They rubber stamp almost all the UK regs anyway so why not these.

So the government have issued a licence but do not have the regs in place by which the operator can drill and I understand are not being forthcoming or collaborative to work through this.

This could potentially be worth an estimated £6 Billion plus to the Isle of Man over a 18/ 19 year period. 

If Crogga do the test well the chances of this working out are better than a toss of a coin . 

You would think they would want to give some real focus to this with the stability this could potentially bring to the Island in a crazy and unstable world.

It’s almost like they do not want this to happen …………..

Why , I have absolutely no idea . But if this is not resolved due to Government complacency or personal beliefs / agendas then questions need to be answered as the manx public have a right to be angry about it.

Recent events have shown that the government does not believe it is accountable .

Edited by Mann O Mann
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Mann O Mann said:

They are not looking to skip anything as you put it. There is indeed a big difference in the data between the two. But as stated Crogga have the BP data from the discovery well for this specific area which they drilled and subsequently plugged , together with the former head of BP geological exploration as their CEO who oversaw the discovery well, and I also understand, former geologists who worked on the project who have a detailed knowledge and data of the specific area they wish to drill to test the flow rate. If the flow rate is commercial then they proceed with the 3D seismic of the whole field to determine where the other well heads will be located ( the whole project will be subsea once drilled - you will not see it ) from the information provide I understand it makes practical and economic sense to do it this way and obviously will have been discussed with all stakeholders and not contentious.

I understand the issue highlight earlier is that the Government does not have the regs in place  ( they were probably banking on Crogga not raising the funds and hoping it goes away ) . They could adopt The NSTA regs if they wanted to as in my opinion it would be crazy for the IOM to create there own regs for a one off drill  which will not happen again. They rubber stamp almost all the UK regs anyway so why not these.

So the government have issued a licence but do not have the regs in place by which the operator can drill and I understand are not being forthcoming or collaborative to work through this.

This could potentially be worth an estimated £6 Billion plus to the Isle of Man over a 18/ 19 year period. 

If Crogga do the test well the chances of this working out are better than a toss of a coin . 

You would think they would want to give some real focus to this with the stability this could potentially bring to the Island in a crazy and unstable world.

It’s almost like they do not want this to happen …………..

Why , I have absolutely no idea . But if this is not resolved due to Government complacency or personal beliefs / agendas then questions need to be answered as the manx public have a right to be angry about it.

Recent events have shown that the government does not believe it is accountable .

I don’t think you got back to us on whether the highly respected CEO of Crogga you refer to is this chap

https://www.corpwatch.org/article/norway-former-statoil-executive-pay-fine-over-iran-deal

4 minutes ago, Thomas Dalby said:

I don’t think you got back to us on whether the highly respected CEO of Crogga you refer to is this chap

https://www.corpwatch.org/article/norway-former-statoil-executive-pay-fine-over-iran-deal

I found this later bio for him from 2012:

image.thumb.png.ced22713a3ff76a1adbc1a09ff4e07e3.png

Presumably his involvement with BP predates that with Statoil, so over 20 years ago. None of which seems to justify the strange belief that there's no need for further investigation, they should just start drilling anyway.  Apparently faith is more important that geology.

18 hours ago, Mann O Mann said:

struggle to see what the government has to loose in this

Nothing. So long as they don't start investing our money into it. It's got to be a private enterprise. 

Yes we should encourage it and support it. But that has to be impartial and not involve financial investment of public money.