Crogga

Dr Beeching

34 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I think, in the face of considerable opposition, he'll soon be able to add worst DOI minister in history to his CV.

I'm not sure if he's reached Tim Baker standards as yet, he hasn't thus far tried to justify red zebra crossings....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I think, in the face of considerable opposition, he'll soon be able to add worst DOI minister in history to his CV.

Every DOI Minister will be the worse Minister ever. It’s not specific to Thomas, but the Groundhog Day of incompetence just needs to stop. I’m sure Thomas will be gone soon and replaced by someone else who will then try and fail to make IOM governments biggest basket case department function like it’s run by normal humans instead of arrogant dysfunctional muppets. 

• Like 1

I suspect that we should be scrutinising the CVs of the upper echelons of the civil servants who make up the DoI in addition to - or even rather than - CT's. The civil servants are the reason minister after minister fail in this role and it's high time they were put under the microscope. Perhaps even an electron microscope. 

As much as I'd like to think the civil servants are all really clever, Machiavellian self-interested jerks only in it for what they can get out of it, common sense makes me stop and consider that they live here too. They and their families also pay taxes, rates, and stealth-taxes, they use our roads, our ports, our healthcare system, our schools, and everything else the rest of us who live here uses. So surely they can't be purposefully screwing everything up? 

So that must leave incompetence. Maybe even Machiavellian incompetence.  Let's have their CVs up for public scrutiny so we can get rid of the incompetents and promote those who actually have some brains and qualifications. The ones who currently probably get bullied and passed over.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I suspect that we should be scrutinising the CVs of the upper echelons of the civil servants who make up the DoI in addition to - or even rather than - CT's. The civil servants are the reason minister after minister fail in this role and it's high time they were put under the microscope. Perhaps even an electron microscope. 

As much as I'd like to think the civil servants are all really clever, Machiavellian self-interested jerks only in it for what they can get out of it, common sense makes me stop and consider that they live here too. They and their families also pay taxes, rates, and stealth-taxes, they use our roads, our ports, our healthcare system, our schools, and everything else the rest of us who live here uses. So surely they can't be purposefully screwing everything up? 

So that must leave incompetence. Maybe even Machiavellian incompetence.  Let's have their CVs up for public scrutiny so we can get rid of the incompetents and promote those who actually have some brains and qualifications. The ones who currently probably get bullied and passed over.

But could you be sure that their CV's accurately reflect their abilities?? There are people working in Government that can only have got the job by dressing up their CV. On past performance the Government HR machine is incapable of picking up even flagrant "misrememberings" of qualifications and what has been done / achieved.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Ever met Jeff Robinson? Director of Highways.

You don't need to analyse his CV, two minutes in his company is enough. What a fucking dickhead.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Mistercee said:

But could you be sure that their CV's accurately reflect their abilities?? There are people working in Government that can only have got the job by dressing up their CV. On past performance the Government HR machine is incapable of picking up even flagrant "misrememberings" of qualifications and what has been done / achieved.  

You've got a point. But if we (the Manx public) had more access to the CV's of all those nameless, faceless, unelected civil servants who seem to be responsible for running the island, there would be a much smaller chance they'd get away with "dressing up" and "misremembering". 

I don't know what the solution is, nor do I know what, if any, legalities would come into play as regards employment law and the public's right to know exactly who we're employing and why. 

What I do know is that I love this island and it breaks my heart to see the creeping corruption and mismanagement. The rot seems to reside in the civil service who, for whatever reason, aren't being held to account. It's very frustrating and as I said, heartbreaking. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, english zloty said:

[Thomas] Only promoted the person who came up with the idea

But there's two things you've go to remember.  The first is that Ministers don't and can't promote people on their own.  They're usually part of a panel of three or four people and it's possible have even a CEO imposed on them against their will.  Certainly the 'winner' may not be their desired candidate.

Secondly the whole system is designed to make sure that the 'right' in-house candidate succeeds when the final candidates go to interview.  So outstanding outside candidates or even insiders who don't have the correct mates won't even get that far.  And if there's no preferred insiders, an outside candidate who will be seen to make the noises will be presented (possible alongside obvious no-hopers) and the most the panel can do is to reject the lot.

Nobody goes through early life with an ambition to work in the lower echelons of the civil service. It just so happens that under performers have managed to end up running the place. Blame all MHK's who've served at least 2 terms as this shitfest has happened on their watch.  

• Like 3

If our MHKs / Ministers are not holding the decision makers within the civil service to account on behalf of the manx people who is ?

I heard CT on manx radio last week say that he would “observe”discussions between his department and Crogga !!!!

I wonder if “ discussions “ means he has finally agreed to meet Crogga or does this mean he will carry on reading the ping pong of emails and letters passing between both parties  that he is Cc’d on .

As he has clearly stated meetings can lead to misunderstanding  and better to bury your head in the sand till it all goes away , give me strength ….

If now is not a time for political leadership to cut through the bureaucratic malaise I don’t know when is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1