Guardian Bans Gambling Advertising

La Colombe

4 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Well if they do then they only affect the weak willed who need to take responsibility for their actions rather than blame seeing some bloke on the TV or newspaper to have a gamble

Advertising is a trillion and a half dollar per year industry because it works on pretty much everyone.

I don't think gambling should be advertised but then I don't think it's a good thing.  

Why would we want to encourage people to do it?

People can be free to do something but I wouldn't want them to be encouraged to do something, especially if it could lead to repetitive behaviour or serious addiction.

Advertising makes use of tried and tested techniques to win something psychologically. All the more distasteful when it is just to make a company rake in more money.  With it being gambling, it definitely should get be banned.

I would do the same with adverts for any products intended for children as well. 

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

If it was up to some people on here we'd all be happy living in mud huts eating herring and potatoes. 

Self responsibility is a big thing, don't want to gamble and lose your money then don't do it. Adverts or no adverts makes no difference

I think you'll find its Spuds and Herr'n

The gambling industry only advertisers to attract new gamblers out of which they then count on a small number of newbies becoming addicts. This is no news being made into a big deal it won't make any difference unfortunately. 

It's the scum within the industry that are now actively pushing into new territories like West Africa where regulations are more or less none existent, selling a dream of riches to individuals looking to climb out of poverty, but hey they don't give a shit as long as the operators and consultants get their wedge. 

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
Posted (edited)

I understand where you're coming from, but advertising does have a significant impact, especially on vulnerable individuals. It's not just about blaming others; it's about recognizing the influence that constant exposure to gambling ads can have on people, particularly those struggling with addiction. That's why it's essential to promote responsible gambling and provide support for those who need it. Speaking of which, have you tried https://themulligans.org/? I've been into it lately and they offer a variety of games for players of all levels.

Edited by Ronanscotts
  • Haha 1