Armed police dealing with incident around Railway Station, North Quay roads closed

ADELE

The level of the response was interesting. A report of someone with a knife, so the IoM SWAT team with balaclavas and rapid-fire assault rifles went to sort out the problem.

Someone with a knife has to get within arm's length of a police person to be a danger, in which case a pistol is sufficient (and no balaclava).

In the Hollywood version, a young mother with a babe in her arms is being held by a maniac with a knife to her throat. The Hollywood hero uses whatever is available - Sig, Glock, AK47 - and shoots the maniac in the shoulder. Doesn't happen in real life.

Can you imagine a Los Angeles SWAT team heading out (with balaclavas) because of a report of someone with a knife?

My feeling is that the police involved are being childish. They are taking this as a game of cowboys and Indians.

Whether or not they can not a target at 200 yards is irrelevant - their mental attitude is suspect.

This is real-life policing in the UK:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/metropolitan-police-london-hackney-iopc-tower-hamlets-b2433281.html

And as far as the balaclavas and anonymity is concerned, if a young mother with babe in arms had been saved by a police officer, and he had been in a pub that evening, people would have been buying him a drink. I might even have offered to buy him a half of mild.

• Like 1

When did it all change?

Fifty years ago, whilst not even a teenager, myself and my friends used to buy penknife’s from a display in the newsagents window?

From a piece of card each penknife held by an elastic band.  Not unlike the Big D bag of peanut ps card which had peanut packets attached to a picture of a bikini clad woman

Bought said penknife’s, kept them in our pockets, never attacked anyone or had any intention of attacking anyone with them

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

The level of the response was interesting. A report of someone with a knife, so the IoM SWAT team with balaclavas and rapid-fire assault rifles went to sort out the problem.

Someone with a knife has to get within arm's length of a police person to be a danger, in which case a pistol is sufficient (and no balaclava).

In the Hollywood version, a young mother with a babe in her arms is being held by a maniac with a knife to her throat. The Hollywood hero uses whatever is available - Sig, Glock, AK47 - and shoots the maniac in the shoulder. Doesn't happen in real life.

Can you imagine a Los Angeles SWAT team heading out (with balaclavas) because of a report of someone with a knife?

My feeling is that the police involved are being childish. They are taking this as a game of cowboys and Indians.

Whether or not they can not a target at 200 yards is irrelevant - their mental attitude is suspect.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/metropolitan-police-london-hackney-iopc-tower-hamlets-b2433281.html

And as far as the balaclavas and anonymity is concerned, if a young mother with babe in arms had been saved by a police officer, and he had been in a pub that evening, people would have been buying him a drink. I might even have offered to buy him a half of mild.

Get up police hq and drop your details off and they can give you a buzz next time there's someone with a weapon out in the public

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

In your expert opinion, should the police have turned up armed with knives themselves? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

Get up police hq and drop your details off and they can give you a buzz next time there's someone with a weapon out in the public

Give over. Over the top response as usual. Bullied school kids who now have their fingers over a trigger. And this is the norm. wankers. 

• Haha 1