Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

2 hours ago, woolley said:

IWho has time for messing around shopping every single day? 

It seems you have some interesting views about how people shop . It’s a known fact that people generally shop more often and buy less it’s an issue the grocery trade has been grappling with . Also there are a lot of people who shop in multiple locations rather than one . I appreciate that may not apply to you but  it’s the case and you can already see some posters on here are saying that . 

By the way you also talk a lot about Club card . You might be interested to know that not everyone that shops in Tesco has a club card for any number of reasons -I  think you will find it’s about 90% . Therefore 1 in 10 shoppers don’t get the benefits you are talking about . I am sorry to disappoint but as I have said not everyone shops like you do . 

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

Same in Ramsey.

They have closed the one that is going to be the express.

For what I assume will be a couple of months after TT, everyone in Ramsey who wants to shop in Ramsey shoprite/tesco will have to use the new express store.

Thos people are in for a shock

I’m not sure they have to be in for a shock.

Subject to having private transport they can nip over the mountain to the Tesco in Victoria Road and take advantage of the expandedrange and non express prices there. 

It’s twenty minutes or so. No need to travel through Douglas which would add about the same to your journey. Presumably parking will be sufficient ( have you tried to get a park in St Paul’s Square, where Tesco Express is expected to be recently, since the barriers fell into disuse?)

8 minutes ago, IOM said:

It seems you have some interesting views about how people shop . It’s a known fact that people generally shop more often and buy less it’s an issue the grocery trade has been grappling with . Also there are a lot of people who shop in multiple locations rather than one . I appreciate that may not apply to you but  it’s the case and you can already see some posters on here are saying that . 

By the way you also talk a lot about Club card . You might be interested to know that not everyone that shops in Tesco has a club card for any number of reasons -I  think you will find it’s about 90% . Therefore 1 in 10 shoppers don’t get the benefits you are talking about . I am sorry to disappoint but as I have said not everyone shops like you do . 

I wouldn’t set foot into Tesco’s without my Clubcard. You would be mad to.

I don’t like having to use the thing but I wouldn’t contemplate paying say 50% or more for some items or missing out on multi buy savings because I didn’t have a piece of plastic on me or something on my phone.

And I wouldn’t go round the store just looking for stuff where you get no advantage from your Clubcard. Because say you may get one type of orange juice that has a non Clubcard price but next to it there may be another indistinguishable type of orange juice on which you do receive a clubcard discount.

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I wouldn’t set foot into Tesco’s without my Clubcard. You would be mad to.

I don’t like having to use the thing but I wouldn’t contemplate paying say 50% or more for some items or missing out on multi buy savings because I didn’t have a piece of plastic on me or something on my phone.

And I wouldn’t go round the store just looking for stuff where you get no advantage from your Clubcard. Because say you may get one type of orange juice that has a non Clubcard price but next to it there may be another indistinguishable type of orange juice on which you do receive a clubcard discount.

Of course you don’t but some people do for any number of reasons . Also do you know who is the fastest growing retailer at the moment? The answer is Aldi who don’t have any loyalty card .  They are growing partly because they are opening new stores but also customers love a very simple offer without cards and offers and multibuys . That way customers can make their own decisions rather than having the choice made for them by the store . 

Lidl and M&S have retained their crowns as the UK's fastest-growing supermarkets over the last 12 weeks. Lidl's sales grew 13.2%, while M&S jumped 11.6%, according to the last data from NIQ. The news comes as the NIQ found total till sales at UK supermarkets saw continued growth of 6.6% in January.6 Feb 2024

44 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Subject to having private transport they can nip over the mountain to the Tesco in Victoria Road

It's not a question of hopping in your car though, is it?

You'll need a flask and sandwiches to get to Douglas!!!

1 hour ago, IOM said:

More often, yes, but not every day.

Yes, we shop in multiple locations: IOM: Tesco and Co-op. UK: Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury + Aldi. Spain: Carrefour and the other Aldi.

You'd be foolish to go into any supermarket that has a loyalty card without one. The price differences are massive. Some people seem to think they are cocking a snook at the store by not having one, but they're not. They're just giving the store more money than they need to.

Not everyone, but I suggest most people do a main shop no more than once a week, they use a store loyalty card and they take advantage of price matches and Clubcard offers. They don't do silly things like buying an item at 5% more than it is in the UK when they can actually pay less money for a bigger pack of the same thing on offer at the same as the UK price. I know that SOME will, but there is no accounting for the behaviour of people.

1 hour ago, mollag said:

Will my Clubman card still work in Victoria Road ?  🤔[asking for an MHK friend] 

Funnily enough, a couple of days before it closed, a shopper produced their Shoprite loyalty card at the checkout.  Thought it was odd as there has been no advantage to be had from using one for years.  Unless it was retained for staff to get discounts or other benefits. 

• Thanks 1

I think shopping has become as much about convenience as anything. I used to shop for some items at Tesco and others at Shoprite for the best price. Then I tried shopping at each singly for the convenience. I always spent more when shopping at Tesco, but found myself buying more because of the greater choice. After my accident, I then found it easier to get around Shoprite, their disabled bays were handier and the whole thing was less stressful. Even when in recent times, their prices were getting a bit over the top on many items, I could still justify shopping there for the ease and convenience. Shoprite had some very friendly and chatty staff too, which added to the experience. 

12 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I Shoprite had some very friendly and chatty staff too, which added to the experience. 

and they work for tescos now so all should be good for you.

15 hours ago, woolley said:

More often, yes, but not every day.

Yes, we shop in multiple locations: IOM: Tesco and Co-op. UK: Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury + Aldi. Spain: Carrefour and the other Aldi.

You'd be foolish to go into any supermarket that has a loyalty card without one. The price differences are massive. Some people seem to think they are cocking a snook at the store by not having one, but they're not. They're just giving the store more money than they need to.

Not everyone, but I suggest most people do a main shop no more than once a week, they use a store loyalty card and they take advantage of price matches and Clubcard offers. They don't do silly things like buying an item at 5% more than it is in the UK when they can actually pay less money for a bigger pack of the same thing on offer at the same as the UK price. I know that SOME will, but there is no accounting for the behaviour of people.

Also the clubcard plus @£7.99  a month gives a 10% discount upto £20 on upto two shops a month.

So if someone spend over £80 a month in Tesco it's worth it ..

Just need to plan ahead and consolidate the shopping into two large ones of around £200 each for maximum benefit. 

I know large families who end up spending  much more than this and so have two clubcard plus subscriptions..  so that's  4 × £200 shops covered    and a £80 saving for a £15.98 cost 

Clubcard Plus doesn't have a minimum term and you can stop whenever you want (I freeze my payments when I'm away from the island for longer periods ) 

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1