Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

18 minutes ago, Kopek said:

often wondered how the Strand centre shop could have paid! Maybe it didn't?

it didn't pay to waste your time going in there and asking him to order you something that's for sure.

17 minutes ago, WTF said:

it didn't pay to waste your time going in there and asking him to order you something that's for sure.

My wife bought me a remote controlled helicopter  from there for Christmas possibly ten years or so ago. , maybe earlier.

I am not much good at that sort of thing so flew it for a few seconds and it crashed into the ceiling leaving the rotor blade and the rest of the thing useless. Put it in the bin.

I’ve asked her for aftershave, socks or vouchers for Christmas thereafter

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kopek said:

TBF., there was so much stock in that shop that I'm sure 95% of customers could find something to suit their needs?

not the same thing , i know of a few people that had Rc cars from him, crashed them , needed spare parts , and he never got round to getting them the spare parts , he claimed to have ordered them but they never showed up, quite a few people with toys they couldn't play with that were left up to themselves to source parts off the internet.

14 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Meanwhile (to get back on topic) Tesco are keen, via numerous Google ads, to invite us to their new store:

image.png.1628e8cc50efc881a8a5246c34c8250d.png

Which according to the map is in Whitehaven.

It may as well be as they've had to import thirty UK employees in to staff it.

The Lake Road and Victoria Road stores are termed as SuperStores no doubt to prepare us for all the others being Express Stores even Onchan which is just up the road l.   Shame on them the people who don’t drive , mostly pensioners, are being victimised.   

19 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

The Lake Road and Victoria Road stores are termed as SuperStores no doubt to prepare us for all the others being Express Stores even Onchan which is just up the road l.   Shame on them the people who don’t drive , mostly pensioners, are being victimised.   

I thought that 5 of the Shoprite stores were to become superstores, and 4 express?

At least that’s what they announced at the start.

I make that 

Lake Road, as is, Vic Road, Onchan, Ramsey, Peel and Port Erin as Superstores, and Michael Street, St Paul’s Square, Winerite and Castletown as Express. Have I left any out?

35 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Who says Onchan will be an Express ?

The press announcement in December

,”Tesco says it will create more than 100 jobs following its Shoprite buyout.

Tesco is converting all nine Shoprite sites into five superstores and four Express stores.'

So with their Lake road store that will mean Douglas /Onchan will have  3 Superstores.

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

I think as others have said Onchan is intended to be a superstore not an Express . However I agree the prices in those stores branded as Express will be significantly higher than superstores as evidenced by Castletown . And you still can’t get away from the fact that shoppers at Lake Road  and online are also victims having had a 5% price hike on a vast number of products without having anything to show for it ! 

30 minutes ago, kevster said:

Actual new jobs, or just rebranding ex-shoprite employees?

New jobs. 

19 minutes ago, IOM said:

I think as others have said Onchan is intended to be a superstore not an Express . However I agree the prices in those stores branded as Express will be significantly higher than superstores as evidenced by Castletown . And you still can’t get away from the fact that shoppers at Lake Road  and online are also victims having had a 5% price hike on a vast number of products without having anything to show for it ! 

Thing is they’ll be cheaper and better quality and choice than Shoprite, whether they’re 5% more at Superstores, as you claim, or more at Express.

As I’ve said, we won’t be able to work out the exact pricing differential between IoM and English pricing until the full conversion has taken place and they’re all on, and integrated into the Tesco IT front and back end systems.