Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 hour ago, IOM said:

Ok I went to the Victoria Road store today it was very busy a guess a combination of Easter shopping , people going to see it because new and some who just like Tesco ! I thought overall it’s a nice store well out wide aisles . Good area for fresh produce and meat am sure the clothing will be popular also . No Andreas cooked meats which is a shame though they did have the sausages .  Thought the household range was limited for a large store . Was very surprised no seats behind the checkouts for elderly people to sit at this is a big miss and I gave them that feedback!  Anyway make of my comments what you like but those are my thoughts . 

i'm gonna regret this , but i concur .

it was like going to a newly opened theme park.  what i would be interested in is are there any new food lines up there that they didn't have room for at lake road , also disappointing that there is no longer a hot food deli  ,i rather hoped that would be a feature.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

it was like going to a newly opened theme park.  what i would be interested in is are there any new food lines up there that they didn't have room for at lake road , also disappointing that there is no longer a hot food deli  ,i rather hoped that would be a feature.

Nor a butchers.

• Like 1

Just now, Gladys said:

Tesco stopped the butcher's counter and hot deli a while back in all their stores

ASDA also, can't get Kippers anymore :( .

14 minutes ago, WTF said:

Tesco's got rid of the last of their hot food counters by Feb 2023. 

They said that demand had fallen  dramatically over the last few years.

I believe that the handling of hot food in a supermarket situation was attracting a lot of health and safety regulations too 

Edited by emesde
Spelling

1 hour ago, emesde said:

Tesco's got rid of the last of their hot food counters by Feb 2023. 

They said that demand had fallen  dramatically over the last few years.

I believe that the handling of hot food in a supermarket situation was attracting a lot of health and safety regulations too 

I think there is complexity around Vat rates being different for cooked takeaway food compared to the rest of the supermarket 

In the cafes the purchases go through different tills 

3 minutes ago, newaccount said:

I think there is complexity around Vat rates being different for cooked takeaway food compared to the rest of the supermarket 

There’s a mix of items on sale with, or without VAT. Tesco tills have no issue identifying which is which. Cake or biscuit, food or household, and so on. It’s all in the bar code/scanning..

9 minutes ago, newaccount said:

in the cafe they won’t need tills that are as complicated. Do they scan? Or the person working the till enter a code onto a screen? You can’t scan a slice of cake or a cup of tea. It’ll all go through the same back of house EPOS system.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, newaccount said:

You mean like 20% on alcohol, biscuits , chocolate , sweets, etc etc wrx