Fury Ngannou

HeliX

I don't watch much boxing these days, but was expecting this to be an absolute squash as it usually is when an MMA all-rounder goes up against a boxing single-discipline expert... and supposedly the best heavyweight in the world at that. But from my point of view, Ngannou won this one. Presumably the upcoming Usyk fight meant Fury would never be allowed to lose on points, but what a performance from a man in his boxing debut (!) against the "undefeated" Tyson Fury.

I didn't watch this because I thought it was a joke fight, but figured I'd better see what all the noise was about, so I've just watched it. It wasn't very good. Fury was complacent and unfocused, Ngannou more serious. The knockdown was a surprise, and Ngannou was certainly the flashier, but Furys inbuilt ringcraft meant he won rounds. I can see why it was given to Fury on points, he was the boxer. Looked 6 rounds to 4 to me, with the KD making the 4th a 10-8, so the judge who gave it to Fury by a point got it right.

I can totally see why people are a bit miffed though. Fury was poor. 

49 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I didn't watch this because I thought it was a joke fight, but figured I'd better see what all the noise was about, so I've just watched it. It wasn't very good. Fury was complacent and unfocused, Ngannou more serious. The knockdown was a surprise, and Ngannou was certainly the flashier, but Furys inbuilt ringcraft meant he won rounds. I can see why it was given to Fury on points, he was the boxer. Looked 6 rounds to 4 to me, with the KD making the 4th a 10-8, so the judge who gave it to Fury by a point got it right.

I can totally see why people are a bit miffed though. Fury was poor. 

There was an elbow from Fury that should've knocked a point off, so a draw at best. I thought Ngannou did a much better job of ring control, better job of backing Fury down, and clearly did more damage.

11 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I've heard from a few different places that Fury is looking at places to buy over here. 

.... as opposed to just buying judges? 

Thought it was a disgrace he won on Saturday. Honestly thought Ngannou won by a few. Can't even remember Fury landing anything of real note. 

Someone watching with us commented Fury wouldn't be allowed to lose on points due to the upcoming Riyadh season over there, with his fight being one of the highlights. That's entirely plausible. 

I did wonder if it's because he's never fought anyone as tall and built as Ngannou though. Couldn't be heavy and lean on him as he did with Wilder. I know Wilder is bigger but Ngannou much thicker frame and heavier. 

There were a number of people in boxing too who thought that Ngannou had won and none, on the night that I heard anyway, who thought Fury had. 

• Like 1