Castle Rushen School

The Phantom

8 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

What was wrong with the design we paid handsomely for in 2019? 

And if it isn't any good and has to be redone, why the bloody hell did we pay tens of thousands for it in the first place?

..... and furthermore prepared the ground in order to build it !

13 hours ago, Declan said:

`I meant CRHS - I thought it opened before 1961. In fact I'm pretty certain.

It was pretty grotty in the 80's - but wasn't everything. It certainly didn't seem only 20 years old.

They added a new block / library etc then but we had many lessons in mobile classrooms. I think they've added more to it in the 90's.

The mobile classrooms were replaced in the mid to late 90's when a new extension was built and used for languages.  I don't recall there being much more development during that time. 

I think since then some of the quads have been developed and the layout at the front of the school was changed to put in the area for the buses to turn.  There was an all surface pitch added and based on what I have seen in pictures there has been general decoration and a refresh of the library.  

I haven't been in the school for almost 20 years (where did that time go!) so really don't know what it is like inside now.

• 5 months later...

This one is going to give the Liverpool Ferry Terminal a run for its money. According to Dr Death, so far, the new Castle Rushen High School is estimated to cost £62 millions. From the NPM - 

The new Castle Rushen High School and sports complex is expected by the treasury minister to cost around £62 million.

Just over £3 million was allocated for the project in this year's Budget for the design and planning phase.

A 'masterplan' for the new site was unveiled in January, with the aim to have it completed by 2030.

Dr Alex Allinson has been responding to questions on this afternoon's Mannin Line.

I originally recall about 30m when they were supposed to build it. But procrastination, long grass, pension pots, past the fairy bridge and here we are, another bollox by our esteemed government. 

12 minutes ago, 2112 said:

This one is going to give the Liverpool Ferry Terminal a run for its money. According to Dr Death, so far, the new Castle Rushen High School is estimated to cost £62 millions. From the NPM - 

The new Castle Rushen High School and sports complex is expected by the treasury minister to cost around £62 million.

Just over £3 million was allocated for the project in this year's Budget for the design and planning phase.

A 'masterplan' for the new site was unveiled in January, with the aim to have it completed by 2030.

Dr Alex Allinson has been responding to questions on this afternoon's Mannin Line.

So we can expect it by 2040 at a cost of at least £120million then.

• Thanks 1

As well as a new school, Castletown is getting a new building housing the Peggy ………., whatever happens, and no matter how much money is thrown at Castletown ……….. does anyone think Jason Moorehouse MHK will be happy?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 2112 said:

As well as a new school, Castletown is getting a new building housing the Peggy ………., whatever happens, and no matter how much money is thrown at Castletown ……….. does anyone think Jason Moorehouse MHK will be happy?

I think he will be red in the face

845044-1.jpg

Edited by Happier diner
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

So we can expect it by 2040 at a cost of at least £120million then.

I don't think anything under £80M will be realistic going by past performance.

School building costs vary substantially by square metre, by city, in the UK: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1330345/primary-secondary-education-building-construction-costs-uk-by-city/ and I highly suspect ours will be much closer to the higher end + the usual Isle of Man screw up/milking government costs. Square metre comparisons don't work on the Isle of Man - it's usually the 'cost plus' model that is followed here = initial estimate + forgot this + forgot that + cocked that up + had to redo that + revisit initial requirements + inflation price increases + fixed 15% construction profit. 

They seem to be still planning for a population of 100,000, which it seems most residents don't want anyway not least for a wide variety of other 'way of life' and existing infrastructure capacity reasons - plus more recently the birth rate has collapsed to around half of what it was. That only confirms to me a further government disconnect from reality.

I'd put off any decisions until the 2026 census provides far more 'sensible' data to be able plan on. There's a much bigger picture going on in the background here. Linked to that data, a modular approach (along with a management plan as to what years attend which schools) could reduce costs significantly and save us building a lot of under utilised infrastructure at top dollar.

Government need to be far more realistic on this, they've already increased taxes (the full affect and impact on business of which will only be known next year). The last thing we need is another ferry terminal equivalent, and an ill-thought-out under-utilised utility. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2