RingGo

emesde

1 hour ago, emesde said:

Another great decision from a DOI minister. Nice one Tim.

Hackers steal customer data from Europe’s largest parking app operator

Owner of RingGo and ParkMobile says data including parts of credit card numbers taken in cyber-attack

I don't think it was Tim  lets see what Thomas has to say about it , amazing where all this ,   after the  the event insight    has come from , why can't we have a simple ANPR numberplate recognition   and pay with a card , or at the help desk inside the airport   Local solutions for local problems ,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Why would anyone say anything about it?

It’s an insignificant data breach and they literally happen every hour of every day.  Anyone who has had data exposed here (and the odds of them being Manx are minuscule) will already have that data out there should anyone want it.

If it last anything it is simply a reminder to not use physical card details online and regularly check that you haven’t been included in one of the many breaches that happen all the time.  There are loads of ways you can do this.

NORDVPN will alert you.

https://nordvpn.com/features/dark-web-monitor/#:~:text=This means that you don,as you have it enabled.&text=Dark Web Monitor will immediately,to your NordVPN email address.

Norton do a free checker.

https://uk.norton.com/breach-detection#:~:text=How to check if my,that you didn't make.

and there are loads more. 

Data is out there anyway and it’s your responsibility to make it as useless to people as it can be by being savvy.

I honestly can’t see how this small breach is a concern to people on island, so if anyone can enlighten me please feel free.

23 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

More shite from fantasy Dave. It is absolutely the responsibility of companies handling your data to keep it safe, to suggest that it's your responsibility is about as true as anything else Dave says, ie. complete bullshit.

You miss the point as usual.

It is their responsibility but you would have to be an idiot to just blindly key physical card details into websites, not have two factor authentication, use the same password on multiple sites etc.

There are simple things people can do to minimise any issue when their data is inevitably put out there.

So to summarise there is no risk from this minor leak that makes it worthy of mention locally either as a data threat or a way for people with little understanding to have a pop at the government.  Also, even though it’s a car drivers responsibility not to knock you over on a zebra crossing, to assume they won’t do so and take no precautions yourself would make you an idiot.

If my post is shit, I assume you have cleared your address through both the tools above and it has come back clear?

Edited by CrazyDave

20 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

More shite from fantasy Dave. It is absolutely the responsibility of companies handling your data to keep it safe, to suggest that it's your responsibility is about as true as anything else Dave says, ie. complete bullshit.

You somehow sound very similar to another poster on this forum… 🤔

21 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

You miss the point as usual.

It is their responsibility but you would have to be an idiot to just blindly key physical card details into websites, not have two factor authentication, use the same password on multiple sites etc.

There are simple things people can do to minimise any issue when their data is inevitably put out there.

So to summarise there is no risk from this minor leak that makes it worthy of mention locally either as a data threat or a way for people with little understanding to have a pop at the government.  Also, even though it’s a car drivers responsibility not to knock you over on a zebra crossing, to assume they won’t do so and take no precautions yourself would make you an idiot.

If my post is shit, I assume you have cleared your address through both the tools above and it has come back clear?

Bit defensive aren't ya? The leaking of personal data by a company we are now forced to use if we want to park at the airport is as newsworthy as anything else that's been reported in the last few days.

I don't see why you would want a cover up 

The leaking of personal data is not inevitable, it is almost always caused by incompetence on the part of the company handling the data, as is no doubt the case here.

It doesn't matter how angry you get about it, that's the truth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

When I'm riding a motorbike it is other road users responsibility to drive to the law and not crash into me.

But I'm also going to do my damnedest not to give them the opportunity...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HeliX said:

When I'm riding a motorbike it is other road users responsibility to drive to the law and not crash into me.

But I'm also going to do my damnedest not to give them the opportunity...

I completely agree, it absolutely does not absolve other road users of their responsibility not to crash into you though.

It's fine to be careful with your data, it just doesn't mean the company doesn't have a responsibility to look after it.

I think it’s a valid subject for discussion given how generally unpopular RingGo is and how poorly rated it is as a product online on most of the review sites (which clearly didn’t put off the DOI from signing a contract). If it’s also insecure then I think that’s a big issue when it’s the only way to pay at the airport outside of faffing around with cash at the Helpdesk. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mouthpiece said:

I think it’s a valid subject for discussion given how generally unpopular RingGo is and how poorly rated it is as a product online on most of the review sites (which clearly didn’t put off the DOI from signing a contract). If it’s also insecure then I think that’s a big issue when it’s the only way to pay at the airport outside of faffing around with cash at the Helpdesk. 

They don't take cash at the Helpdesk.