Isle of Man Budget 2024

Maugholdmafia

8 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Yes a 2% increase is a 10% increase in the tax you pay on income plus the NI increase and they ARE planning on a £98mill drawdown of your reserves next year

A 10% increase in the tax you pay on income over the threshold, yes. Not flat on income.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Josem said:

Especially since the minimum wage is £10.75.

Yep if you're working a 37.5 hour week on minimum wage you're just under the higher tax bracket, it's pretty much only under 18s who aren't affected.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Yes I know.  You said the standard rate had gone up.  It’s unchanged.

The higher rate has gone up from 20 to 22 percent which has no impact on quite a lot of people who are lower earners.

Are you really that stupid?

You are making a fool of yourself again this afternoon.

Look at this link below which shows what has really happened from a news outlet not funded by the Kremlin.

https://manx.news/civil-servants-pay-makes-up-41-of-govs-total-expenditure/

Listen/ Watch the video of Dr A  - a shocking defence of CS expansion and confirmation that IOMG HR are taking on another 50+ people as per the report recommendations.

15 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Yes I know.  You said the standard rate had gone up.  It’s unchanged.

The higher rate has gone up from 20 to 22 percent which has no impact on quite a lot of people who are lower earners.

20%, now 22% is the standard rate. 10% is the low rate to offset the 11% NI that employees also pay, aimed at lower earners. 

• Thanks 1

I’m actually pleased. 

Extra £1000 on state pension.

Decent increase on DLA and mobility.

Great for poorer families with more than one child with the restoration of child benefit for 2nd and subsequent children.. 

NI is a missed opportunity, but at least there is to be a review. Above  UEL needs to be at least 2%, not 1%.

NHS/Manx Care was underfunded for health spending, for years. I don’t agree with the Michael’s reforms, a quasi trust/market place, which do increase bureaucracy, and managers. But, to get the service properly funded, and eliminate waiting lists, and catch up from the years of underfunding, and the effect of Covid on service delivery, is a worthwhile goal. It will then allow debate how we fund going forward.

Extra funding for education and the special funding for Castle Rushen school is to be welcomed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

To be fair, when he fingered me, up the "Pipe" a few years ago, he did use lube.

Just no hug afterward which I thought was a bit cold.

My Doc didn't see the funny side, when I exclaimed at a similar inspection, "you could have bought me dinner first".

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m actually pleased. 

Extra £1000 on state pension.

Decent increase on DLA and mobility.

Great for poorer families with more than one child with the restoration of child benefit for 2nd and subsequent children.. 

NI is a missed opportunity, but at least there is to be a review. Above  UEL needs to be at least 2%, not 1%.

NHS/Manx Care was underfunded for health spending, for years. I don’t agree with the Michael’s reforms, a quasi trust/market place, which do increase bureaucracy, and managers. But, to get the service properly funded, and eliminate waiting lists, and catch up from the years of underfunding, and the effect of Covid on service delivery, is a worthwhile goal. It will then allow debate how we fund going forward.

Extra funding for education and the special funding for Castle Rushen school is to be welcomed.

I imagine you may easily be able to afford the extra tax. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

My Doc didn't see the funny side, when I exclaimed at a similar inspection, "you could have bought me dinner first".

Nice of him to put his hands on your shoulders for reassurance though.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

I imagine you may easily be able to afford the extra tax. 

I only work part time. I’m under VAT threshold. I receive state pension and DLA/mobility.

i no longer pay NI as I’m above state pension age. 

Of course I’ll resent paying more tax, and it will hurt.

Im trying to look at what is being done to assist the weaker members of society. I think it’s pretty good.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I don't know where all these so called 'leaks' are coming from, such as 2p on income tax. Can't see that myself, the repercussions for business on the island would be massive.

do you see it now Albert ?

8 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Look at this link below which shows what has really happened from a news outlet not funded by the Kremlin.

https://manx.news/civil-servants-pay-makes-up-41-of-govs-total-expenditure/

But the headline isn't true is it?  It's not the pay of civil servants that makes up 41% of government expenditure - it's of all public servants: doctors, nurses, teachers, bus drivers and all the rest.  By doing this stupid headline-grabbing that can be easily be disproved, people like Turner actually let them off the hook for the real bloat and continued expansion.  But then they don't really want reform to improve the way the Island is governed, they just want back on the gravy train themselves.

• Like 2