Reduced General Election Term Time to 3 Years.

Last Ten

On the subject of DoI’s performance over the last couple of years, I agree that there has been some improvement. Those responsible deserve some credit. The problem is the level of complete ineptitude shown at managerial level for the preceding 5-6 years, which will take a lot of living down reputationally and financially. I am not sure that the culture, leadership and competence issues that led to the appointment and tolerance of senior DoI management has been addressed to the extent that it could not happen again. We live in hope. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, joebean said:

On the subject of DoI’s performance over the last couple of years, I agree that there has been some improvement. Those responsible deserve some credit. The problem is the level of complete ineptitude shown at managerial level for the preceding 5-6 years, which will take a lot of living down reputationally and financially. I am not sure that the culture, leadership and competence issues that led to the appointment and tolerance of senior DoI management has been addressed to the extent that it could not happen again. We live in hope. 

A sensible post based on actual facts and the obvious improvements since the last election.

@A fool and his money.....won’t like that one little bit, and will no doubt be along to tell you how wrong you (and anyone else with eyes in their head) are, before the day is out 😂

I'd probably support a shorter time between elections (or even half the seats up for reelection every 2.5 years so in Rushen Dr Wotsit would be up now and Watterson in September 2026, then Dr Wotsit's successor in spring 2029). 

But really, does it matter how often the elections are because we don't vote for or against the government or for or against a set of policies. We could vote them all out and only the faces would change. The same sort of people would replace them, and guided by the senior CS, they'll peruse the same sort of policies.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Declan said:

I'd probably support a shorter time between elections (or even half the seats up for reelection every 2.5 years so in Rushen Dr Wotsit would be up now and Watterson in September 2026, then Dr Wotsit's successor in spring 2029). 

But really, does it matter how often the elections are because we don't vote for or against the government or for or against a set of policies. We could vote them all out and only the faces would change. The same sort of people would replace them, and guided by the senior CS, they'll peruse the same sort of policies.

As said earlier in the thread, the problem is they need time to effect change.  

I'd back some sort of probation period though! It's acceptable for most other jobs, so why not Govt?

On 3/1/2024 at 11:35 PM, Last Ten said:

Listening and looking at all the threads of late with regards to the issues with our Chief Minister, MHK’s and MLC’s is it not time we looked at a shorter General Election period from the current five year term to a more sustainable maybe three year period?

Strongly concur. More frequent reminders that politicians are our representatives, not our rules, would be good.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

As said earlier in the thread, the problem is they need time to effect change.  

I'd back some sort of probation period though! It's acceptable for most other jobs, so why not Govt?

So with the split term thing they would all have five years just they would be renewed in two tranches. 

How would probation work? Who would decide an MHK had failed to meet the grade? Maybe the electorate voted for someone who promised not to be a cookie-cutter MHK and the criteria for passing probation was matching the incumbants or CS's definition of a good MHK?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Josem said:

Strongly concur. More frequent reminders that politicians are our representatives, not our rules, would be good.

Wouldn’t more regular elections get very expensive for you/your backers?

• Haha 1

Interesting that a DOI member finds roadworks that might inconvenience people funny. I’ve reached the conclusion that most MHKs are in it for the money as nothing really ever changes. Mind you I don’t suppose the UK is any different. Perhaps they might have a better class of incompetent windbags. Who knows. But I doubt it. I think ours take the biscuit.

20 hours ago, Anyone said:

Interesting that a DOI member finds roadworks that might inconvenience people funny. I’ve reached the conclusion that most MHKs are in it for the money as nothing really ever changes. Mind you I don’t suppose the UK is any different. Perhaps they might have a better class of incompetent windbags. Who knows. But I doubt it. I think ours take the biscuit.

Only a perverse, humourless and moronic idiot would think that. Congratulations, you’re it. Pass the plain chocolate digestive.

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Only a perverse, humourless and moronic idiot would think that. Congratulations, you’re it. Pass the plain chocolate digestive.

Thank you. I’ll not state the obvious. 

On 3/6/2024 at 12:45 AM, Stu Peters said:

Honestly....  what an unprofessional comment from one of our Islands so called leaders (which seems to be in the same style as many of his others). 

Despite my name being Ballaugh Babe I now live in Crosby, and am actually embarrassed that he's my MHK.  Mind you, I can't even think of the other one's name.....

On 3/9/2024 at 11:12 AM, Ballaugh Babe said:

Honestly....  what an unprofessional comment from one of our Islands so called leaders (which seems to be in the same style as many of his others). 

Despite my name being Ballaugh Babe I now live in Crosby, and am actually embarrassed that he's my MHK.  Mind you, I can't even think of the other one's name.....

The other one does attend public meetings in the consituency

On 3/9/2024 at 11:12 AM, Ballaugh Babe said:

He’s not nor ever will be a leader