Developers are 'buying their way' out of building affordable housing

HelmutX

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Well no-one knows the policing industry like you do.

I know nothing about policing, other than having a few mates who are coppers.

They don’t talk about work though, and it has pretty much no interest to me.

You seem a bit insecure?  Are you ok?

• Haha 1

Just now, A fool and his money..... said:

Yes, we'd gathered that.

Making yourself look a bit silly now fella.

You have been shown to be spouting crap and are just clutching at straws to try and be clever without actually adding any substance to your allegations, or argument, or whatever it is.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

I have nothing against rental

All flats should be rental only. Multiple leasehold buildings do not work longer term and are especially difficult when the building reaches realistic end of life long before the leases are up. Which will typically be the case with nearly all buildings.

3 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

So say the development on Port Erin prom of those yuppy apartments

On the Isle of Man - young urban professionals? 

Edited by genericUserName

5 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

My experience of government tenders is that there is nothing wrong with the system.

I have won some and lost some.

Oh there’s a lot wrong with government tenders but brown envelopes is not one of them 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

I think you have just identified the issue, trust.  Personally, I do not think there are the shenanigans that many allege going on now.  But it is for our politicians and senior CS to acknowledge and deal with that lack of trust, no matter if it is unfounded in fact, and plainly and openly deal with it.

It is no good MHKs saying everything is fine.  What they need to do is say there should be confidence in the government because X,Y and Z, and also admit when things go wrong.  Things do go wrong, but it is the inability to admit it quickly and then explain exactly what steps are put in place to prevent another debacle.   

Also, it is absolutely unacceptable for any elected member to say how difficult it is to change, without giving clear reasons why, and what they think can be done.

Confidence in government is at an all time low, in my experience. Don't blame the people, blame the inability of government to give clear and decisive leadership and openness. 

I once physically witnessed a literal 'Brown Envelope' being handed over to a now deceased MHK with the words "Thanks for sorting that for us".

Obviously I cannot mention the names of the party's involved, but it concerned 'Noise' problems.

However that was 30 -35 years ago.

Gladys, totally agree with you and your belief that this sort of 'shenanigans' shouldn't be possible now, BUT...I think one poster suggested that there are legal transactions that can and do take place to achieve the same end.

Legal, but not very moral or caring.

7 hours ago, genericUserName said:

All flats should be rental only. Multiple leasehold buildings do not work longer term and are especially difficult when the building reaches realistic end of life long before the leases are up. Which will typically be the case with nearly all buildings.

On the Isle of Man - young urban professionals? 

Urban in, relating to, or characteristic of a town or city.

We have a city now don't you know, as DBC are only too keen to tell anyone.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Another example. Government are required to get three quotes for any work over a certain amount. What they often do is ask whichever company they want to do the work to quote using three different manufacturers products. I've been on the receiving end of that one myself.

Another trick is to put a bare bones spec out to tender. When you ask specific technical questions they don't answer, ensuring that whoever they want to do the job is the only one that can tender accurately.

Here's one

Fraud?