State of the Roads

Passing Time

1 hour ago, The Bastard said:

We can quibble about facts. One bus an hour meets the definition of "occasional" in the sense of "infrequent". If it was one bus every couple of minutes, like on Lord Street, then it'd be a different animal.

Regardless, talking PSM up into a metropolis worthy of major infrastructure investment isn't going to happen. 

You seem to be as good at starting pointless arguments and winding people up as another poster who has suddenly gone very quiet. 

31 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

So how long would you allow a street to fall to bits before you act? Just to make sure I'm understanding what you're trying to say. "An acceptable amount of time to ignore an obvious problem is..."?

The street isn't "falling to bits" though. It's got some potholes, it's not disappearing into the harbour. They've patched the potholes. When money is available, and there are less pressing problems in high-traffic areas, maybe they'll consider resurfacing it. 

4 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

You seem to be as good at starting pointless arguments and winding people up as another poster who has suddenly gone very quiet. 

Paranoid nonsense. I have no other accounts and have never posted on behalf of anyone or any organisation. If I'm winding people up, it's because I have a different opinion that doesn't align with the miserable glass-half-empty-and-it's-on-fire-and-broken depressive attitude. 

24 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Even if repairs are to be "temporary" they can still be executed to a professional standard. Not the farmyard standard we see here.

It's a few potholes filled with Tarmac. It doesn't need to be done to a Rolls-Royce standard , and as I said, to do a huge job on it will probably involve road closures which needs time and planning. In the meantime, a bit of Tarmac in the holes isn't a bad thing, is it ?

41 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

The people of PSM pay VED rates etc to maintain and upkeep their village KM is a village as is Sulby they have no problem with the road through their villages, it doesn't matter where they are this road has been an embarrassment for the last 15 years and as usual contractors that carried out the IRIS work, done what they had to, got the money and fucked off and left a mess and now the taxpayer has to pick up the tab to get it fixed. 

Roads always need fixing. They're built to a budget, break down over time and get fixed on a budget. VED money isn't distributed according to who pays the rates, it all goes into a central pot with all other taxes. The money paid in VAT and VED in PSM doesn't just stay in PSM - thankfully so, since it would never cover a major project, which would need to be subsidised by the rest of the island. In these constrained times, budgets are low, so it doesn't surprise me that road repairs are down the list. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

He's on a ban. 😄. It doesn't seem like it though does it?

I note that he's been putting laughing emojis on any post that was criticising the workmanship in this instance though.

This would be the same CrazyDave who said he'd driven down the street last week and couldn't see anything wrong with it.

This would be the same CrazyDave who said that DOI workmanship had improved immeasurably.

Methinks CrazyDave is a DOI nosher :whatever:

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

He's on a ban. 😄. It doesn't seem like it though does it?

It just looks like one bonkers argumentative poster has picked up from another bonkers argumentative poster. 

22 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

It just looks like one bonkers argumentative poster has picked up from another bonkers argumentative poster. 

There are probably algorithms that can analyse text and tell you it's the same person. In this case though, one is not needed..

1 hour ago, Kevlar said:

Though as one has made about 1,400 comments in nearly 18 years and the other about 2,300 comments in 7 months, it would fairer to say an occasionally argumentative poster has replaced an invariably argumentative one.

Sniggering at the irony in being accused of sock puppetry by Kevlar's account, with its magnificent history of 16 total posts :)

I post as myself, not as any other account. I'm argumentative, but I'm usually right. There's usually so many potholes in the arguments on here that you could drive a bus through them.   

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Sniggering at the irony in being accused of sock puppetry by Kevlar's account, with its magnificent history of 16 total posts :)

I post as myself, not as any other account. I'm argumentative, but I'm usually right. There's usually so many potholes in the arguments on here that you could drive a bus through them.   

The road is fecked and it needs replacing. Simple. Been like that for some considerable time. There's really no excuse.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

The road is fecked and it needs replacing. Simple. Been like that for some considerable time. There's really no excuse.

Yes. But is the highest priority in the Isle of Man? To the extent of any others?

Maybe...maybe not. 

However I have to agree with @The Bastard on this point that it probably isn't. It will be a major civil undertaking.

What I don't agree with him though is that throwing a bit of tar in the holes is the answer. It's not. There is an in-between and that is proper patching which might get a few more years out of the road. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Bastard said:

That's the hysteria that I was referring to. 

Temporarily patching some potholes with Tarmac doesn't need Rolls-Royce workmanship. It literally needs the hole clearing out, some sealant adding and some Tarmac adding in. Job done, temporary patch in place.

If you want to close the road for a couple of weeks and dig it all out down to base layer and fill it, then that needs project planning and engagement with transport, businesses and the public who'll be affected. No doubt that'll be on the cards at some point. 

If you're going to do a half arsed job just send the normal two blokes in a van or the spraying chippings machine.

If you're sending 4 blokes and the wagon with hot tar than there's no excuse not to cut it out properly so it at least has a chance of lasting until they resurface the road.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Yes. But is the highest priority in the Isle of Man? To the extent of any others?

Maybe...maybe not. 

However I have to agree with @The Bastard on this point that it probably isn't. It will be a major civil undertaking.

What I don't agree with him though is that throwing a bit of tar in the holes is the answer. It's not. There is an in-between and that is proper patching which might get a few more years out of the road. 

I don't think there's another high street in any town or village on the Island where it's as bad as in PSM.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Bastard said:

What is sock puppetry? I was merely expressing an opinion based on observations I have made.

• Haha 4