Nobody mentioning the Queens visit next week?

kevster

3 hours ago, Harry Lamb said:

Did they bring a car over specially for this visit - no reg plate, royal badge ?

Nah, luckily they found a one-off burgundy bubble top Roller with Royal livery at Honest Mikes Motors. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Nah, luckily they found a one-off burgundy bubble top Roller with Royal livery at Honest Mikes Motors. 

and only 472 genuine miles on the clock

I was there, outside the HSBC Bank, got some real good HI-RES Video.

Lovely wife wanted to go, not really originally interested myself, I said oh, ok then.

Parked up in M&s, did the necessary shopping and walked up to the corner.....really glad I did.

It was simply a nice Royal occasion for the Island, someone had decided we were actually important enough as a nation to do the right thing in a Royal assent sort of way.

We were very close when the Lady herself was shaking hands with people, my lady did just that.

She was really nice, next to us a young lady had a little pooch called 'Bear' who got a Royal couple of strokes with a question about his name.

Human, quite normal and quite petite, despite being described as being 5" 8.

Cannot for the life of me understand those who have a real, almost physical abhorrence of the Royal Family? 

Edited by Sentience
Clarification.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/18/2024 at 11:19 AM, The Phantom said:

Additional business for Hotels at least. 

@Derek Flint for this one I think.  I'd imagine that would only be if they need to arrest people?  Not necessarily if they are just there to look intimidating and search for imaginary bombs. 

The answer is "it depends". It was a constitutional issue that was swinging about for a long time. UK police officers are Crown Servants where Manx officers are Crown Servants in right of the Isle. Technically a UK officer doesn't need swearing in as a result, but we eventually just started doing so to remove any doubt.

It would only matter in respect of the exercise of certain powers. 

You are right about EID detection. The Army can function in that role of course

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

You are right about EID detection. 

It's generally at the end of Ramadan. 😁

I couldn't be bothered going into the gun stuff, suffice to say they wouldn't be registered here and it would be something like when a target shooting team travel for a competition?

Edited by The Phantom
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

It's generally at the end of Ramadan. 😁

I couldn't be bothered going into the gun stuff, suffice to say they wouldn't be registered here and it would be something like when a target shooting team travel for a competition?

They don't need to be registered. They are 'equipment' lawfully held so are not subject to the same licensing requirements. A firearm is for the application of lawful force in the hands of the police

On 3/18/2024 at 9:22 AM, The Phantom said:

All ready a bunch of UK Armed Police hanging about this morning. 

This seems very strange. Previously, even when we had Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip on island we relied on our local resource, some extra search capacity  and the Royalty Protection team. 

The threat and risk picture continually changes, but for a midweek visit to Douglas the importation of mutual aid does seem unusual.

• Like 1

I quite like the Royal Family, without them Britain would be even less significant than it already is. 

It's hard to reconcile the current lot with the brutal Soprano like gangsters who terrorised the country back in the day. Although we are still paying protection money into the coffers at a more alarming rate than ever. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

This seems very strange. Previously, even when we had Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip on island we relied on our local resource, some extra search capacity  and the Royalty Protection team. 

The threat and risk picture continually changes, but for a midweek visit to Douglas the importation of mutual aid does seem unusual.

You only have to read some of the local social media posts to realise that we have quite a few homegrown unhinged idiots.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Derek 3 Police Vans parked in the Palace Car Park 2 days before the Visit on of which was labelled Tactical complete with steel mesh visor to the windscreen

4 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

Derek 3 Police Vans parked in the Palace Car Park 2 days before the Visit on of which was labelled Tactical complete with steel mesh visor to the windscreen

I wonder if they just borrowed some protected carriers? Or possibly its been a mutual aid search team. The 'drains and ditches' work that goes on behind the scenes is intensive and can't really be absorbed within local resources.

5 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I wonder if they just borrowed some protected carriers? Or possibly its been a mutual aid search team. The 'drains and ditches' work that goes on behind the scenes is intensive and can't really be absorbed within local resources.

I would think from across all UK reg and saw them walking back to the hotel late afternoon all in blue overalls, so manhole duty I think 

• Like 1