Report on Constitutional Affairs-Anyone for change?

Moghrey Mie

5. The situation in Ukraine has not had constitutional implications for the Isle of Man. That said, the Ukraine crisis was an opportunity for the Island to exercise its rights of self-determination in international affairs by choosing to support sanctions, to accept refugees and to contribute to humanitarian relief.

They really had the brains trust on this one. Presumably, Palestine didn't provide a similar opportunity for the Manx Govt.

Edited by Declan
the brains trust rather than the brain's trust - I think.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Declan said:

They really had the brain's trust on this one. Presumably, Palestine didn't provide a simillar opportunity for the Manx Govt.

Don't be so sure, Michelle is ranting again about it....

Screenshot_20240402-230020_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
Correction
  • Like 1

Another situation we cannot effect, and should stay out of commenting. We have more urgent problems this taxpayers employee could be putting her immense intellect to FFS !

I should clarify, I am not blind to the humanitarian disaster all conflict causes, I am just a realist.

Edited by asitis
  • Like 8

37 minutes ago, asitis said:

Another situation we cannot effect, and should stay out of commenting. We have more urgent problems this taxpayers employee could be putting her immense intellect to FFS !

Agree - however, with some of our attention seeking and Millie-Tant MHKs, are wanting to pretend their views and opinions count. Attention seeking.

Jersey and Guernsey have had motions, and also got rid of their Chief Ministers. The IOM could pass a motion ………… of shit, but our politicos haven’t the organisational skills to oust the Chief Minister. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, asitis said:

I should clarify, I am not blind to the humanitarian disaster all conflict causes, I am just a realist.

100% this.

One of the benefits of being a Crown Dependency is that all the international facing politics is dealt with by Whitehall. 

That should leave the island unfettered, almost neutral and able to get on with the business of making money and a sustainable future for its residents.

There is nothing wrong with having a personal view. Just don't take up political bandwidth with it. Like the IOM contribution to climate change, it will make not  a jot of difference.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

100% this.

One of the benefits of being a Crown Dependency is that all the international facing politics is dealt with by Whitehall. 

That should leave the island unfettered, almost neutral and able to get on with the business of making money and a sustainable future for its residents.

There is nothing wrong with having a personal view. Just don't take up political bandwidth with it. Like the IOM contribution to climate change, it will make not  a jot of difference.

Try telling some of our politicos that. To them they see their purpose, to stride on the world stage, issuing edicts and lecturing the rest of us. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

100% this.

Pathetic. 

The Isle of Man contracted out our International Relations to the English Government and their arms dealer funders. Worldwide the Isle of Man is tarnished (or otherwise) by the UK Govt's actions. Manx people can't vote for an alternative UK government, or contact our local MP.  

The only way that democratic deficit can be squared is if we can lobby our government, and our government can act to distance itself from the UK's policy. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

100% this.

But I suppose the aims of the island don't always align with those of UK. We seem to have lost Protocol 3 without a fight and are not being considered separately in trade deals. Jersey seems to be more pro-active than the Isle of Man.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Declan said:

Pathetic. 

The Isle of Man contracted out our International Relations to the English Government and their arms dealer funders. Worldwide the Isle of Man is tarnished (or otherwise) by the UK Govt's actions. Manx people can't vote for an alternative UK government, or contact our local MP.  

The only way that democratic deficit can be squared is if we can lobby our government, and our government can act to distance itself from the UK's policy. 

Interesting juxtaposition of blame for the Island's woes.

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

But I suppose the aims of the island don't always align with those of UK. We seem to have lost Protocol 3 without a fight and are not being considered separately in trade deals. Jersey seems to be more pro-active than the Isle of Man.

The Island abrogated from P3 when the UK entered the common market

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Interesting juxtaposition of blame for the Island's woes  

Weird post. I’m talking about Islanders lack of democratic influence on international events. No comment made on internal affairs. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The Island abrogated from P3 when the UK entered the common market

Weird post. P3 was in place until the English left the EU.

• Like 4

There are the usual suspects who apparently have aligned themselves for a debate on the Israel Gaza conflict. If they concentrated as much to domestic matters, as hard as they are on demanding a ceasefire, then perhaps the island wouldn’t be in the mess it is in. If there is a debate on a motion, what will it achieve? Does anyone seriously think at the IOMs voice will encourage a ceasefire, with wording appealing to all sides? 

Maybe after this vote, they could do something over the Chief Minister, and maybe vote him out of office? I doubt any of our politicos have the bottle, and certainly there are no really credible alternatives. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1