Hospitality Call to Arms!

Max Power

On 4/20/2024 at 1:43 PM, Max Power said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that it was an international policing award, rather than an award for promoting a conjugal nightlife environment?  

On 4/20/2024 at 9:46 PM, Derek Flint said:

If more effort was put in to the development of a conjugal environment things would be better.

WTF is one of those? Are the pair of you advocating transferring the nocturnal activities from the tranquility of Marine Drive down onto the mean city streets to liven things up a bit? Or do you mean convivial?

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I think the LVA made a very good point, that someone working full time earning minimum wage will be paying the top rate of income tax. Bloody madness!

A little sensationalist, I would say, considering that our "top rate" is 22%. It's a standard rate really, because we don't have a top rate as it would be understood in onshore jurisdictions. Still a grand a year income tax less than you would pay as a single person in the UK considering our higher free allowance and 10% band, although that advantage will be eaten into by the newly reduced NI across.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It just goes to show which end of the income scale are disproportionately sharing the burden of the government's financial problems.

'Twas ever thus. There are far more poor than rich to spread the burden over.

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

A little sensationalist, I would say, considering that our "top rate" is 22%. It's a standard rate really, because we don't have a top rate as it would be understood in onshore jurisdictions. Still a grand a year income tax less than you would pay as a single person in the UK considering our higher free allowance and 10% band, although that advantage will be eaten into by the newly reduced NI across.

This is all true, but people are used to paying less and the gap between here in the UK is being eroded pretty quickly.

If they wanted to raise more tax revenue they should have increased the personal allowance, increased the amount payable at “standard” rate, and then put the higher rate up to 25 percent for those on an income of about 50k and up.

Edited by Anthony Ingham
  • Like 3

The tax to pay isn't as bad as It sounds. A 40 hour week at minimum wage (£11.45per hour )will give an annual salary of £23,816 and the tax payable will be, 24.41 p week (£1,269.52 pa).  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say I 'don't like them'. 

It seems like she is the most vocal of all these complaints and I'd warrant its ridiculous location for 11 months of the year, will no doubt be hitting her bottom line significantly.  I've definitely seen her complaining about road closures and/or weather before.  Plus she evidently has no idea how the VAT agreement works. 

You are clearly , for reasons best known to yourself , motivated by malice .

If you visited the cafe you would realise that you are wrong .

Did you see her positive post in relation to the road closing for the tyre testing ?  

You evidently are a "know nothing little shit " who I'll warrant  has achieved nothing in your sad  life and cannot  bear to see others succeed .

Hope this helps:flowers:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, paswt said:

You are clearly , for reasons best known to yourself , motivated by malice .

If you visited the cafe you would realise that you are wrong .

Did you see her positive post in relation to the road closing for the tyre testing ?  

You evidently are a "know nothing little shit " who I'll warrant  has achieved nothing in your sad  life and cannot  bear to see others succeed .

Hope this helps:flowers:

Disagree.

The time we went it was poor.  Won’t go again 

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I think the LVA made a very good point, that someone working full time earning minimum wage will be paying the top rate of income tax. Bloody madness! 

It just goes to show which end of the income scale are disproportionately sharing the burden of the government's financial problems. It also demonstrates just how inequitable our society has become.

It's only an emergency tax code. They get all the tax back. Everyone pays on the same basis. 

Just now, Happier diner said:

It's only an emergency tax code. They get all the tax back. Everyone pays on the same basis. 

I think you might be getting confused between the multiple job issue, and the what you earn issue.

Someone on minimum wage and full time these days will likely pay top rate tax and not get it back.

Just now, Anthony Ingham said:

I think you might be getting confused between the multiple job issue, and the what you earn issue.

Someone on minimum wage and full time these days will likely pay top rate tax and not get it back.

Yes but they only pay it on a tiny proportion of their earnings. It was ever thus. The tax system is not perfect, but can you suggest a fairer way of doing it? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, woolley said:

I may have agreed with you, were the "standard" rate as you call it, not chosen to be the only one to shoulder the burden of government's financial woes.

Minimal it may be, but minimum wage earners who (by the government's own figures and definition) don't yet earn a living wage should not be facing tax increases while tax cappers are enjoying the same preferential rate that they were before.

That is just fundamentally wrong.