Child Safety in Schools

Tree Man 88

1 minute ago, Tree Man 88 said:

I had a minor issue and in the flavour of the day I hit the kid back, he lost a couple of teeth and that was that. I was an IOM junior sportsman in various sports so in rugby particularly my prowess for tackling hard meant I didn't get too much stick.

Despite this it has to be accepted that some children are that physically strong and aren't violent. Do we allow they to be bullied physically or turn them violent? 

A culture of physical aggression and violence just isn't intelligent or what should be developed. I get it, but it just has to stop. Blows to the head especially can cause long term damage. 

Tynwald evidences your last point.

15 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Oddly enough (or maybe not) the renowned scally scumbag and I, actually got on ok quite well after that incident, as did the rest of the renowned scally scumbags.  Still to this day actually when I bump into them when they're doing scaffolding, I'll stop and have a chat, find out when they were last in jail. 

The bullies are general damaged people who have been bullied themselves. My children have been victims of bullying and I hold no resentment to the bullies. If you look into their background and history they have been part of some very dysfunctional family situations (usually their father is in England or worse) and they are majorly traumatised. They need proper help before they can function in a mainstream school or society in general, but are dropped into our state school system where they cause lots of issues.

After school detentions, suspensions. For some students that would be enough, for some it doesn't touch the sides. It depends on how damaged they are their personal circumstances. There needs to be centre for each region of the IOM. Some schools are using other government buildings in their area for this, but sometimes they only have staff to cover 1 facility, when two is required.

2 hours ago, Tree Man 88 said:

The bullies are general damaged people who have been bullied themselves. My children have been victims of bullying and I hold no resentment to the bullies. If you look into their background and history they have been part of some very dysfunctional family situations (usually their father is in England or worse) and they are majorly traumatised. They need proper help before they can function in a mainstream school or society in general, but are dropped into our state school system where they cause lots of issues.

i have to ask, where is worse than England ?

2 hours ago, Tree Man 88 said:

After school detentions, suspensions. For some students that would be enough, for some it doesn't touch the sides. It depends on how damaged they are their personal circumstances. There needs to be centre for each region of the IOM. Some schools are using other government buildings in their area for this, but sometimes they only have staff to cover 1 facility, when two is required.

I meant in response to your complaints to the school. 

On 4/24/2024 at 7:42 AM, TheTeapot said:

People remain in complete denial about the impact of closing the schools during the pandemic. What they did there was confirm to the kids that they did not matter, that their education did not matter. People who have paid attention to those involved in disaster management might express surprise that the problem is not worse.*

* See also the recent reporting around alcohol deaths.

Ask any teacher . The ones I've spoken too all say the same about certain school years after the pandemic . The lockdowns had a bad effect on certain years . That along with CAHMS etc being totally underfunded and waiting lists as long as 3 or 4 years . No wonder these children are behaving the way they are . It isn't the schools fault or the teachers  . Their hands are tied

• Like 4