Teachers

No wonder people don’t want to work in the education industry with some of these comments!

Support workers are similar to nurses and can be the kindest people who would do anything to help a child progress or help them when they are really struggling with a subject or with their general wellbeing.

They are on below average pay and have lower job security. We should be praising them, not degrading them! Strong conceptual intelligence is pointless if you are an egotistical twat who is an anorak in on a particular subject, but doesn’t understand human beings!

And we wonder why Britain is in a mess!

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Bill1977 said:

No wonder people don’t want to work in the education industry with some of these comments!

Support workers are similar to nurses and can be the kindest people who would do anything to help a child progress or help them when they are really struggling with a subject or with their general wellbeing.

They are on below average pay and have lower job security. We should be praising them, not degrading them! Strong conceptual intelligence is pointless if you are an egotistical twat who is an anorak in on a particular subject, but doesn’t understand human beings!

And we wonder why Britain is in a mess!

No one is degrading them. Why don't you read what is actually written rather than what you want to read.

All that has been said is that they should not be used to substitute for teachers as they are not qualified to teach.

For the record, I believe that they do a valuable job. 

I haven't degraded then and reading other posts, neither has anyone else. 

Edited by Happier diner

On 5/4/2024 at 8:51 PM, Happier diner said:

In my mind, and this is being harsh, cover supervisor, non teaching assistant, etc. Etc. Call them what you want. They are normally individuals that were not quite clever enough to make it (and yes there are exceptions and some go on to be teachers) and it will be sad day when we get dumbed down so much that our kids' education is trusted to a second rate standard of education.

Actually, this is what you wrote.

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Actually, this is what you wrote.

Are you telling me this is not true? 

You chose to selectively not highligh the caveat. Maybe a bit blunt but not offensive or degrading. 

You need a degree to even start to train as a teacher. You don't need a degree to be an NTA or classroom supervisor. Some people do not have the ability to attain degree qualification. It's just facts. 

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Are you telling me this is not true? 

You chose to selectively not highligh the caveat. Maybe a bit blunt but not offensive or degrading. 

You need a degree to even start to train as a teacher. You don't need a degree to be an NTA or classroom supervisor. Some people do not have the ability to attain degree qualification. It's just facts. 

Some people, despite being highly intelligent, choose not to take a degree. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Some people, despite being highly intelligent, choose not to take a degree. 

A degree alone is not an assurance that the individual has any aptitude for a job or profession: several MHKs have degrees.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

A degree alone is not an assurance that the individual has any aptitude for a job or profession: several MHKs have degrees.

Agreed. But it's a minimum standard for a teacher and is only the start of their training. May it always be so IMO. Same for

Lawyers

Doctors

Dentists

Vets

Nurses

Civil engineers etc etc. 

Edited by Happier diner

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Happier diner said:
1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

Which caveat was that?

There are exceptions

You’re serious?   I’ve included the “caveat” in the quote - I didn’t delete it or leave it behind - but you’re unhappy because I didn’t highlight it?

Okay - I think the bits that I highlighted demonstrate that you were being offensive and insulting to  Classroom Supervisors.   On the other hand, you think you were being “a bit blunt”.   It’s a subjective call and a matter of emphasis and interpretation as much as anything - so we’ll have to agree to disagree.   I’ll leave you to continue your “debate”.

Edited by Jarndyce
Typo

Many teachers did their PGCE 20 years ago so how relevant is it now? Their experience of teaching and a subject is more important. In my walks of life what worked pre-COVID is vastly out of date. What needs to happen is that all these D of E and senior management roles need to go so that those with the experience are on the shopfloor. It would save each high school about 200k a year if half of the senior management, who are glorified administrators, were dispensed of and replaced with more teachers and support staff who actually work with the kids.

• Like 1