IOM planning. Positive stories

4 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Not often I disagree with you mate but the Villiers was a dark mess of a building which over imposed on Victoria Street- think of the row of dank barely windowed shops where Conister / Lloyds now are - even the front of it was bleak - it’s an easy go to for “everything used to be great” but I’ve yet to see a photo of the Victorian lump of brick on the promenade that makes me want the Villiers back.

No I agree what replaced it was better than what was there but still a total mess of a design. In my opinion of course. The Villiers site had to go it’s just what replaced it wasn’t what should have replaced it. Like I said earlier . Keith Lords building on Walpole Avenue is a example of what can be created from the eyesore that was there previously 

7 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

No I agree what replaced it was better than what was there but still a total mess of a design. In my opinion of course. The Villiers site had to go it’s just what replaced it wasn’t what should have replaced it. Like I said earlier . Keith Lords building on Walpole Avenue is a example of what can be created from the eyesore that was there previously 

Which is his building on Walpole Ave? Royalty House? 

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

I actually quite like the aluminium and glass building on the Villiers site, especially the curved end which looks like the bow of a ship. It's far from the worst building around.

Is the one on Walpole Avenue the big art deco style one at the south end? If so, I agree it's a nice idea and a nice design but ruined by the execution if you ask me. It's very obviously a fake and a poor imitation of the building it's trying to look like - although it is a nice idea and could be a lot worse.

I think the best buildings are of their time. I'm delighted they saved the facade of the old Bushys building, likewise they're renovating the old nurses home, a beautiful building. I think new buildings should look new though and of the time they were built. The new Villiers building is a prime example - we'll probably never have another one like it, things have moved on, but it's of its time.

Personally I think building a new building to look like an old one is nonsense - no other generation did it - and it generally ends in poor result (a cardboard box with a few fibreglass mouldings stuck on). We should lean into the crafts and technologies we have today and leave the old stuff for renovation projects (of which I concede, there should be many more).

Fibreglass chimney stacks etc. are just ridiculous.

27 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So we will ignore neo-classical and gothic architecture?  

Point taken with the neo-classical, although they were copies of Roman stuff weren't they? From many centuries before. Also I think it was part of fashion at the time, a revival sort of thing, fashion is often cyclical.

They weren't done to fit in with what was already there. I don't think fibreglass chimney stacks which adorned Dandara estates until very recently were fashionable or functional or a good replica of the real thing. They were just a nonsensical planning requirement.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Point taken with the neo-classical, although they were copies of Roman stuff weren't they? From many centuries before. Also I think it was part of fashion at the time, a revival sort of thing, fashion is often cyclical.

They weren't done to fit in with what was already there. I don't think fibreglass chimney stacks which adorned Dandara estates until very recently were fashionable or functional or a good replica of the real thing. They were just a nonsensical planning requirement.

Greek and Roman influence I think.  Making a statement and reference to great early imperial civilisations at a time when empire was good. 

Often heard reference to fibre glass chimney stacks and looked put for them, but haven't actually spotted any. 

PS agree with your gist though, buildings should be of their time not 'mock',  and should enhance and be proportionate to their environment.  I also have no issue with old design features being incorporated, again not pretending to be of another era, but using what is aesthetically pleasing.  

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Greek and Roman influence I think.  Making a statement and reference to great early imperial civilisations at a time when empire was good. 

Often heard reference to fibre glass chimney stacks and looked put for them, but haven't actually spotted any. 

PS agree with your gist though, buildings should be of their time not 'mock',  and should enhance and be proportionate to their environment.  I also have no issue with old design features being incorporated, again not pretending to be of another era, but using what is aesthetically pleasing.  

Dohle Building on South Quay & Falcon Cliff Court Apartments on Victoria Road - plastic turrets / battlements on the roof- terrible design worse build.

3 hours ago, Omobono said:

Architect was the late Ian Brown , who also drew up the design plans for the Fort Anne , he had some empathy with Manx architecture   and he left  some very fitting  buildings and structures including the new snottty  bridge at kewaigue which fits in remarkably well 

I'm a big fan of the Stone Roses. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Since planning are generally a bit crap, and get a lot of criticism, what is your favourite bit of architecture to have made it through the system in the last 25 or so years?

I would go for the icap offices opposite The Stanley in Ramsey.  A new build that is modern, yet in keeping with the area.

I can’t find a photo at the moment, but will keep trying.

Just because that one replicated what was there before doesn’t mean I think all new buildings need to.  Sometimes radically different is good as well.

Can we keep it positive?

My choice hasn't been built yet, but I'm going to say the new development on the Villiers site. 

It's modern and different. It's not all pseduo-Victoriana and the fact that it boils the piss of the Victorian society shows the people behind the scheme are doing something right. 

My other choice would be Tesco Lake Road. Big modern development (at the time) which went in the face of the island's NIMBY element. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Not often I disagree with you mate but the Villiers was a dark mess of a building which over imposed on Victoria Street- think of the row of dank barely windowed shops where Conister / Lloyds now are - even the front of it was bleak - it’s an easy go to for “everything used to be great” but I’ve yet to see a photo of the Victorian lump of brick on the promenade that makes me want the Villiers back.

Loch Promenade was built as a single project, beautifully designed homogenetically, with an asymmetrical balance about it. One building goes it should all have gone.  I suppose the rot set in with the church replacement, at a time when the church had too much money. Then a particularly ugly dormer (built at a time when such things did not require planning permission. The knocking down of the snooker hall/Freemasons set the trend. The Villiers block could and should have been saved but money talks. Interesting that the then owner is now being dragged through an unpleasant bankruptcy and even his granddaughter, a local advocate, does not appear to be able to help him. The al'man would be spinning in his grave.

What is left of Loch Promenade is great but is only a token of what it could have been. Like that part of the sea wall behind WH Smith, just an artifact. Incidentally, there was more of that sea wall at the Villiers that was listed to be saved but an Irish lad driving a digger knocked it down, by mistake of course. I doubt he had to buy any drinks that weekend.

LochPromenade01.jpg.340b22e431ed871f648c1c00bb4d3ddd.jpg

Edited by Barlow

20 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Dohle Building on South Quay & Falcon Cliff Court Apartments on Victoria Road - plastic turrets / battlements on the roof- terrible design worse build.

Really? Didn't know that.