Open University Fees For Iom Residents Set To Soar

Galen

I haven't read through the thread but I can give you history on this. I was an O.U. student thirty years ago. Met Lonan3 through it too. The Education Dept used to give some funding and support to O.U. Manx students. Bryan Harding, a civil servant with the Dept of Education was the paid administrator and a part-time lecturer for the O.U. on the Island. It was his recommendation to remove funding and support to the students he was supposed to represent. Some of us packed it in after that while Bryan went on to promotion within Government.

IOM Government has little or no interest in supporting Manx based students. I got this from the horses mouth many years ago. It doesn't fit the economic model of bringing in new residents and taxpayers.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

But there are no loans, or what you would call proper loans for IOM students going to do a normal 3 year degree either.

They get a once a year £2.5k "loan" which covers their fees each year but other than that ---NOTHING!

How do they feed themselves? How do they pay for halls/ accommodation? It is either they pay themselves unlikely, or their parents stump up. 

Well that's exactly what I was getting at.  Are you saying the only financial support a Manx degree student gets from the govt is a £2,500 pa repayable loan, and that's to cover tuition fees and all other living expenses?

I hope I'm misunderstanding this... 

16 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Well that's exactly what I was getting at.  Are you saying the only financial support a Manx degree student gets from the govt is a £2,500 pa repayable loan, and that's to cover tuition fees and all other living expenses?

It's as complicated as you would expect it to be.  The current guide is here:

https://www.gov.im/media/1373347/guide-for-new-students-2021-22.pdf

41 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

basically you’re misunderstanding, and @Boris Johnson is wrong.

Subject to means testing,  annual fees up to £9250 are paid, subject to a student contribution of £2500 which is loaned. So a Manx student is  £5750 better off than an English student who has to borrow the whole lot. This is bricks & mortar universities, not the OU. Although with much teaching still on line you must wonder exactly what the difference is.

As far as maintenance is concerned, it’s means tested. Always was.

I got fees paid in full and a means tested maintenance grant for my first degree, and fees paid an a half grant half interest free loan for maintenance for my post grad. That was 1974-1978.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

IOM Government has little or no interest in supporting Manx based students. I got this from the horses mouth many years ago. It doesn't fit the economic model of bringing in new residents and taxpayers.   

Funnily enough I was told the exact same thing by someone I know in the DESC. I had thought they were just being cynical, but maybe there is some truth in it?

20 hours ago, John Wright said:

basically you’re misunderstanding, and @Boris Johnson is wrong.

Subject to means testing,  annual fees up to £9250 are paid, subject to a student contribution of £2500 which is loaned. So a Manx student is  £5750 better off than an English student who has to borrow the whole lot. This is bricks & mortar universities, not the OU. Although with much teaching still on line you must wonder exactly what the difference is.

As far as maintenance is concerned, it’s means tested. Always was.

I got fees paid in full and a means tested maintenance grant for my first degree, and fees paid an a half grant half interest free loan for maintenance for my post grad. That was 1974-1978.

Seems generous enough if you go the conventional route then. So much for lifelong learning 😀