Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

After all, if it’s good enough for Starmer and his front bench, it’s good enough for MR and Stu.

There has to be irony... tongue in cheek... a snigger... something in there but I just can't see it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

And there was me thinking that the purpose of investigating a complaint was to establish whether it was actually a legitimate complaint or not (ie, establishing whether any act or omission complained about had any basis in fact as some form of breach of any actual rules or regulations). 

Yes, and no.

Unfortunately many organisations set out to deny being wrong.

Im not suggesting cave in. Of course you investigate, but that can be hard in public facing, service industries, such as broadcasting, where it can be subjective,

Theres fairly clear institutional discrimination at MR. It’s apparent from their response to the Comms Commission.

The fact MR received a complaint about racism and insensitivity should have set off alarm bells.

All I’m saying is that they’d be able to portray themselves in a good light. It would help defuse.

Everyone is overlooking there are two routes here, the Comms Commission, regulatory, broadcast codes and MR internal, which is looking at softer more fuzzy things. 

Im surprised they haven’t  had inclusive language training before. If they have Stu shows no sign of it. If they have you’d expect them to be shouting it from the rooftops.

A lot of complaint handling is about avoiding reputational damage. That’s true for restaurants, hotels, transport, especially when there are now review apps such as Trust Pilot, Google, Tripadvisor. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The fact MR received a complaint about racism and insensitivity should have set off alarm bells.

insensitivity ??  are we all supposed to pretend to give a fuck about things we don't give a fuck about ??   this sums up the attention seeking snowflakes quite well.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

insensitivity ??  are we all supposed to pretend to give a fuck about things we don't give a fuck about ??   this sums up the attention seeking snowflakes quite well 

If you don't give a fuck about things you give a fuck about why are you giving a fuck about them?  

Seems like a perfect example of snowflake behaviour to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

If you don't give a fuck about things you give a fuck about why are you giving a fuck about them?  

Who gives a fuck?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Yes, and no.

Im not suggesting cave in. Of course you investigate, but that can be hard in public facing, service industries, such as broadcasting, where it can be subjective,

Theres fairly clear institutional discrimination at MR. It’s apparent from their response to the Comms Commission.

All I’m saying is that they’d be able to portray themselves in a good light. It would help defuse.

Everyone is overlooking there are two routes here, the Comms Commission, regulatory, broadcast codes and MR internal, which is looking at softer more fuzzy things. 

Im surprised they haven’t  had inclusive language training before. If they have Stu shows no sign of it. If they have you’d expect them to be shouting it from the rooftops.

A lot of complaint handling is about avoiding reputational damage. That’s true for restaurants, hotels, transport, especially when there are now review apps such as Trust Pilot, Google, Tripadvisor. 

No one is overlooking the two routes, it is just that the CC route is public. We don't know what training is, or is planned to be, given.  I cannot see how the MR response demonstrates institutional discrimination. 

I suppose there is an argument that the whole thing would have been defused if MR just capitulated and sacked Stu Peters.  But their grounds for doing so would be shakey given the CC decision. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I am wondering how many people actually give a fuck and how many want to be seen to be giving a fuck out of the fear of being seen to not give a fuck. And for the record, i don't give a fuck.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yes, and no.

I agree that some form of training would be advisable although I still don't think Stu committed any real breach of sensitivity. He was trying to encourage debate, but that becomes impossible when dealing with people who are terminally offended and looking for a platform to display it. Who knows, one day I may be offended by something, if I'm lucky. 

• Like 1

How many taxpayers on the Island? 50000? So everone is forking out 20 quid a year to fund manx radio. That's the scandal here, not the views of a climate change skeptic, edgy WuFlu usingTrumper who thinks disabled kids shouldn't be in public. You can at least just turn him off. You can't refuse to pay for it.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Howard Quayle is on all week 11:30am providing his favourite tunes and that a la Desert Island Discs sort of thing

Oh, I can just hear @Uhtred shouting at the radio from here.

Any guesses what songs he'd play?

'Till The Cows Come Home'

'What Kind Of Fool Am I?'

'Somewhere Across The Sea'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1