Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

17 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Some major multinationals deliberately make it hard to raise a complaint.  If you don't follow an obscure process and use a specific set of wording it is treated as feedback and they do nothing with it.

Their intention is never to have complaints to investigate. 

Try complaining to the bastard BBC

It is like wading though golden treacle, waste deep

11 hours ago, John Wright said:

I'm not suggesting cave in. Of course you investigate, but that can be hard in public facing, service industries, such as broadcasting, where it can be subjective,

There's fairly clear institutional discrimination at MR. It’s apparent from their response to the Comms Commission.

The fact MR received a complaint about racism and insensitivity should have set off alarm bells.

All I’m saying is that they’d be able to portray themselves in a good light. It would help defuse.

Everyone is overlooking there are two routes here, the Comms Commission, regulatory, broadcast codes and MR internal, which is looking at softer more fuzzy things. 

I'm surprised they haven’t  had inclusive language training before. If they have Stu shows no sign of it. If they have you’d expect them to be shouting it from the rooftops.

A lot of complaint handling is about avoiding reputational damage.

In a perfect world organisations would be prepared for every eventuality with processes, SOP's etc etc to deal with them.

But we don't live in a perfect world.

Mediation is fine but it has to be a two way street. So in this case I'm absolutely convinced that it simply wasn't an option. Because mediation would not have produced the outcome that those ringing in desired. So there would be no option to defuse anything.

Listening to the call it was very obvious that the first caller was reading from a pre-prepared script. Which is unusual in itself. Now this show is on the IOM where people ring in for discussion, a bit of banter, get their point across etc. That doesn't really and shouldn't require any real background training except experience coupled with a sense of fair play. MR is not LBC with it's very clever, trained up presenters. Frankly imho a regime like that simply wouldn't port across to the IOM without putting everybody off. 

Anyway this call was very different from the norm. So to take issue with MR about being unprepared to deal with the situation is unrealistic. Unless in a backstop one-size-fits-all when the wheels come off kind of way.  It's like fire-proofing a building. You can do an absolutely outstanding job of safeguarding but proofing against malicious intent is pretty much impossible. I view the calls that generated this sorry state of affairs as purely malicious intent with desired collaterals if they could engineer it.

What leads me to this conclusion is the outcome.  Here is Mr Maguire's BLM Speech:

I want to take this moment to sincerely thank the residents of this island for being louder than I ever could have been if I had to stand alone. Thank you for sharing in my feelings of outrage and recognising the desperate need for action.

Sadly, the response I received when I called into a radio show recently reflects the thoughts, feelings and opinions of many. It was not my intention to make this person the face of racism on the Isle of Man, I simply believe that they were inadequately equipped to have the conversation about race, and more specifically about the Black Lives Matter Movement. As stated on the call, the Black Lives Matter movernent isn't preaching that only Black Lives Matter, but that we must recognise the Black community along with others is not treated equally and we must work to build a future on the Isle Of Man that uplifts everyone in all communities to the same level. 

Significantly, the call shared on the show highlighted an important issue: lack of education. Silencing or 'cancelling' people that voice these opinions won't help. However, provided they're willing to learn, education will. The lack of engagement with people of colour in the community, to gauge an insight into how we might be feeling at this time, not to mention why the Black Lives Matter movement is irnportant and is relevant to the Isle of Man, is concerning. For a voice on such a prominent platforrn to come on air and discuss the subjects you did without prior understanding and in the manner that you did, is concerning. The situation that we find ourselves in which some of us choose to even recognize that racism exists, is concerning. 

I was the first caller of colour to engage with you and instead of being welcomed with a compassionate response, I was met with laughter, questioning as to whether I was actually Black and was told that the system in place doesn't negatively affect Black people any more than those who can't swim. I was speaking my truth only to be patronised and then dismissed by sorneone who didn't want to hear it. This is an example of the issues we face, when it comes to sharing our experience of racism. 

It is already incredibly difficult to discuss your own trauma. It becomes increasingly hard to speak about your issues when people attempt to justify others discrimination and invalidate you, your feelings and your own experiences. So although I was met with dismissal when I was laughed at on the show even when trying to have a meaningful conversation about what I've been through, it didn't surprise me, it didn't surprise me because this is what people are doing to our experiences all across the world right now. How do we begin to tackle a problern, when people don't even want to discuss, let alone acknowledge that the problem exists just because it doesn't affect them? Please do not see the term "white privilege" as an attack as it is not. It is merely the fact that some are able to learn about racism rather than live through it themselves.

That being said, the public reaction to my call is the first tirne I have felt supported by the wider community. I can't tell you how it has touched me to receive this verbal support, but its now time to channel this outrage into positive action to create real and lasting change - through education, awareness and creating spaces where people can share their experiences without dismissal and without judgement and without shame. With this in mind I, along with many other people of colour within the Isle of Man community, have created the organisation POC I0M. A platform that aims to highlight the voices of ethnic rninority groups on the island, with the mission to encourage people from all walks of life to engage in healthy conversation regarding the experiences and issues that affect this diverse and valued community. We aspire to work together to make the island a more inclusive space for all. Now is a time for us, (including myself) to reflect and move forward. 

I would also like to extend, through POC 10M, an invitation to Manx Radio to be open and honest about the ways in which they intend on including other people's voices on their platforrn, not just as a reaction to being called out publicly, but in the long-term to ensure reform of out-dated attitudes and to create a lasting effort to ensure that the "Nation's Station" is reflective of all the voices in our shared and diverse comrnunity that it represents, rather than just a few. 

The very fact that you chose to be here today speaks volurnes about your dedication to this positive change. Today, together, we have made the first step to u ward a more inclusive island. But this can't stop here. We need to keep working towards making our island the welcoming, conscious, and caring place we know that it can be. This isn't just for George Floyd in the US.. or Belly Mujinga in the UK, but for each and every member of our cornmunity regardless of their background, creed or colour who has faced any sort of discrimination. We are building on the foundations of those who came before us to ensure that their sacrifices will not be in vain. 
I am not special, and do not wish to be treated so. I am not perfect, and do not wish to be treated so. But I am human, and I do wish to be equally treated so and will fight for that right for each and everyone of us. 

Thank you for standing with us today, thank you all for listening and thank you all for your willingness to continue to listen as we take on this journey, hand in hand together, for a better world for all. 

Here is the same speech with the references to Mr Peters and MR removed:

I want to take this moment to sincerely thank the residents of this island for being louder than I ever could have been if I had to stand alone. Thank you for sharing in my feelings of outrage and recognising the desperate need for action.

The very fact that you chose to be here today speaks volurnes about your dedication to this positive change. Today, together, we have made the first step to u ward a more inclusive island. But this can't stop here. We need to keep working towards making our island the welcoming, conscious, and caring place we know that it can be. This isn't just for George Floyd in the US.. or Belly Mujinga in the UK, but for each and every member of our cornmunity regardless of their background, creed or colour who has faced any sort of discrimination. We are building on the foundations of those who came before us to ensure that their sacrifices will not be in vain. 

I am not special, and do not wish to be treated so. I am not perfect, and do not wish to be treated so. But I am human, and I do wish to be equally treated so and will fight for that right for each and everyone of us. 

Thank you for standing with us today, thank you all for listening and thank you all for your willingness to continue to listen as we take on this journey, hand in hand together, for a better world for all.

Quite a difference as I'm sure you will agree...

interesting set of typos "rn" for "m" in several places - typical of OCR errors (I'm an 'expert' here) or possibly re-typing by a non-english speaker from a misread ?handwritten original

Edited by Frances

in that what was placed on this forum was almost certainly derived by OCR from a printed document - the 'rn' error is typical of typewritten docs or typeset documents - you may well find the original has a small break in the 'm' character.

Edited by Frances

17 minutes ago, Frances said:

in that what was placed on this forum was almost certainly derived by OCR from a printed document - the 'rn' error is typical of typewritten docs or typeset documents - you may well find the original has a small break in the 'm' character.

Put simply I already had the means to do image to txt and cba to find a non-image version of the speech.

Being a freebie surprise surprise it's not perfect...

13 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yes, and no.

Unfortunately many organisations set out to deny being wrong.

Im not suggesting cave in. Of course you investigate, but that can be hard in public facing, service industries, such as broadcasting, where it can be subjective,

Theres fairly clear institutional discrimination at MR. It’s apparent from their response to the Comms Commission.

The fact MR received a complaint about racism and insensitivity should have set off alarm bells.

All I’m saying is that they’d be able to portray themselves in a good light. It would help defuse.

Everyone is overlooking there are two routes here, the Comms Commission, regulatory, broadcast codes and MR internal, which is looking at softer more fuzzy things. 

Im surprised they haven’t  had inclusive language training before. If they have Stu shows no sign of it. If they have you’d expect them to be shouting it from the rooftops.

A lot of complaint handling is about avoiding reputational damage. That’s true for restaurants, hotels, transport, especially when there are now review apps such as Trust Pilot, Google, Tripadvisor. 

Inclusive language training? Jesus wept.

Radio station programme slots are hosted by real people.  The appeal in different shows is different people.

Not a load of robots pandering to overly sensitive people.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Inclusive language training? Jesus wept.

Radio station programme slots are hosted by real people.  The appeal in different shows is different people.

Not a load of robots pandering to overly sensitive people.

Quite.

Take the Mr Peters and MR element, engineered by those who called in on cue, out of the "speech" and they simply don't have a shot...