Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Just now, TheTeapot said:

Right. It's a minefield.

My final contribution to this thread. Really.

Gender refers to the attitudes, feelings and behaviors that a culture associates with a persons biological sex. In other words, gender is a social construct and a social identity. 

Sex describes the biological sex ie chromosomal sex XX or XY. 

but don’t be fooled, there’s XYY XXY plus all sorts of mutations and then hormonal exposure in the womb can mask biological sex and give genetically male or female persons the outward attributes of the opposite sex.

Dont forget hermaphrodites or chimeras.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

If Mr Peters wishes to avail himself of legal advice I can point him in the way of several very good and expensive advocates.

It's not Mr Peters asking the question....

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

My final contribution to this thread. Really.

Gender refers to the attitudes, feelings and behaviors that a culture associates with a persons biological sex. In other words, gender is a social construct and a social identity. 

Sex describes the biological sex ie chromosomal sex XX or XY. 

but don’t be fooled, there’s XYY XXY plus all sorts of mutations and then hormonal exposure in the womb can mask biological sex and give genetically male or female persons the outward attributes of the opposite sex.

Dont forget hermaphrodites or chimeras.

So if you identify as a gender, psychological, which conflicts with your sex, biological, why is sex change wrong, because you are re-aligning your sex to fit your gender?  Or are we re-aligning gender to fit your sex?  This is terribly complicated and actually doesn't help, either the non-trans or the trans population.

It just seems that elephant traps are being set, so no one dare discuss these issues for fear of inadvertently stepping on one.

I like Eddie Izzard's summary "I am a lesbian in a man's body."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It just seems that elephant traps are being set, so no one dare discuss these issues for fear of inadvertently stepping on one.

To fully understand and be conversant  with the correct terminology you need to speak to people who identify as trans.

There are several trans YouTubers who do a pretty good job of explaining it.

You won't get clarity here because the people who would engage in a rational discussion wouldn't post or interact here because of the prevailing attitudes displayed by numerous posters.

The only people you are likely to get here are those who are militant enough to stand up to some of the rubbish that gets posted.

• Thanks 3

I could be completely wrong, but the impression I had was that reassignment is used more commonly than realignment, probably (partially) because "gender assignment" is such a common phrase.  

Edited by VinnieK

6 hours ago, John Wright said:

And whilst I’m posting, ( possibly for the last time in this topic because the entrenched positions are just too far apart and the reactions are knee jerk ) it’s worth pointing out the repeated insensitivity, in 2020, of the use of the term “sex change”.

It seems that everything is insensitive these days for a number of reasons ranging from people being soft as shit to people who just cannot wait to take offence because they have literally nothing better to do.

Far too much of it these days which simply means no one can say anything.

Anyway, born with a pecker you're a male.  Born with a badger etc - female.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1