Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

55 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

It’s the safest course of action. 

But that is where you are wrong.  These issues have to be discussed, carefully and intelligently,  or the only voices to be heard will be the extremists. That has been the big fear, that the middle roaders will just give up and shut up.  I don't mind being wrong, I hope I am still receptive enough to see another point of view and change my mind.  But if that other point of view is screaming at me, I too will just shut down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It seems that everything is insensitive these days for a number of reasons ranging from people being soft as shit to people who just cannot wait to take offence because they have literally nothing better to do.

Far too much of it these days which simply means no one can say anything.

Anyway, born with a pecker you're a male.  Born with a badger etc - female.  

100% correct. It really is that simple. Everyone seems to have an excuse for their failings though.

54 minutes ago, Gladys said:

But that is where you are wrong.  These issues have to be discussed, carefully and intelligently,  or the only voices to be heard will be the extremists. That has been the big fear, that the middle roaders will just give up and shut up.  I don't mind being wrong, I hope I am still receptive enough to see another point of view and change my mind.  But if that other point of view is screaming at me, I too will just shut down. 

The 'extremists' dont want to discuss or hear other views though they want their opinion coming out of your mouth and if it doesnt then they try to go after your job if your in the public eye or just call you names. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

The 'extremists' dont want to discuss or hear other views though they want their opinion coming out of your mouth and if it doesnt then they try to go after your job if your in the public eye or just call you names. 

But the daft thing is, these things needs to be discussed and not in a "safe" echo chamber where your preconceptions are just confirmed. That applies to both sides. 

I really don't know where we go from here.  I certainly don't support BLM/POC, but I do think there is a conversation to be had.  And to get to that conversation, there has to be some "middle of the road" voices allowed to speak. As I have said it may be uncomfortable for all.  But for God's sake, let it happen.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

And whilst I’m posting, ( possibly for the last time in this topic because the entrenched positions are just too far apart and the reactions are knee jerk ) it’s worth pointing out the repeated insensitivity, in 2020, of the use of the term “sex change”.

6 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

What's wrong with the term sex change?

Nothing. It's exactly what it is. All to do with the fashion for a reluctance to confront reality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

100% correct. It really is that simple. Everyone seems to have an excuse for their failings though.

Quite so.

And I'm no different in that my biggest failing is my constant striving for perfection in everything I do. I blame my shy and retiring nature for that.

Crap avatar btw.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

I just find it easier to keep quiet these days. Head down get on with life

2 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

It’s the safest course of action. 

That's how all of this nonsense gained credence in the first place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It seems that everything is insensitive these days for a number of reasons ranging from people being soft as shit to people who just cannot wait to take offence because they have literally nothing better to do.

Far too much of it these days which simply means no one can say anything.

And if you're the former, keep out of the ladies toilets ffs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, John Wright said:

And whilst I’m posting, ( possibly for the last time in this topic because the entrenched positions are just too far apart and the reactions are knee jerk )... 

Are you surprised that the push-back has been so vociferous and reactionary? Some people see an emerging tyranny in its infancy, an oppressive, almost theological minefield being forced on them, inquisition-like, to which there can be no alternative; one is either with it or subjected to offensive and presumptive labelism and in the case of those in the public-eye, career-ending contrition; becoming a lost sock in the laundromat of oblivion. Little wonder this divisive situation has brought about "knee-jerk" reactions on both sides of the spectrum. What did you expect, fawning conformity, a graceful acceptance of the baying mob?

As Gladys said, there's a discussion to be had but that'll never happen when one side is continually shouted down and all efforts are made to silence and shame any reasonable opposition to the zeitgeist. Hence the unrest... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It wasn't long ago that people would've made similar comments about whom you should be attracted to based on your genitalia.

1 hour ago, quilp said:

As Gladys said, there's a discussion to be had but that'll never happen when one side is continually shouted down and all efforts are made to silence and shame any reasonable opposition to the zeitgeist. Hence the unrest... 

I'm not picking on you particularly, just that this happens to be the most recent example in this thread of the "I can't say anything contrary to [whatever]!" comments.

This entire thread is full of people doing just that. And they're not the ones being shouted down. It is very clearly not the case that you can't express an opinion.

RE: Cancel culture, this video is good, even if I don't see the need for his tone throughout.

31 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I'm not picking on you particularly, just that this happens to be the most recent example in this thread of the "I can't say anything contrary to [whatever]!" comments.

This entire thread is full of people doing just that. And they're not the ones being shouted down. It is very clearly not the case that you can't express an opinion.

RE: Cancel culture, this video is good, even if I don't see the need for his tone throughout.

This entire thread is full of people posting under pseudonyms because they're afraid of the consequences of posting under their real names. That's the point here. I have friends who have excellent points to make but won't post on Facebook for fear of the mob turning on them. I'm not prepared to take that chance, especially against the anarchists who hide behind anonymity and have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Grumble said:

This entire thread is full of people posting under pseudonyms because they're afraid of the consequences of posting under their real names. That's the point here. I have friends who have excellent points to make but won't post on Facebook for fear of the mob turning on them. I'm not prepared to take that chance, especially against the anarchists who hide behind anonymity and have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I think that’s a sensible post. This is one of the few subjects where people probably wouldn’t post what they’ve posted on here on Facebook through fear of some sad millennial tosspot (or more likely tosspots) stirring up crap and threatening to send links to posts to their employer to try to get them sacked or just generally to create problems for people. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

IMO that is exactly what Stu was trying to do. Look where that got him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1