Greenlight Stick The Legal Boot In

Doric

Greenlight television own the rights to brordcast the tt. that footage is then sold to men and motors, bbc NI, bbc grandstand, duke video and other tv stations around the world. as greenlight own the rights to the tt i dont think they would be in the wrong about gettin a little upset when someone else turns up films and also brordcasts the event.

the fact is they didnt get that upset. they rang up the nice chap at whatever the website is. explained the situation. and didnt actually ask the person to stop filming. he was infact invited in for a chat and a cuppa to see what greenlight could do for him... not once was any legal action ever mentioned.

so where its come from who knows..

as for the worlds fastest bikes two film shoot...

i was at the bungalow that day. i remember the nice man in his little kit car turning up and wittering on about some bikes going rather quickly but i dont recall the police turning up "in force". as they didnt.

not a bad dvd though.

as you were

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Greenlight have broadcasting rights not filming rights. It's ok for anyone to film the TT, what they do with the footage is another thing.

The internet is a recognised form of broadcast.

So that's it then. The Internets and the laws of broadcasting and what people are actually allowed to actually do with their computers and webs and stuff.

Sorted.

What the heck are we arguing about :blink::o:unsure::(

The guy in the interview said the website in question was advised not to do it again next year - didn't actually mention this year - kinda strange...

Are pictures actually affected by that, or purely video footage? And what about the promenade entertainment bits?

what infringements -? - I havn't seen any good argument that they own the exclusive right to broadcast film shot on public roads - that reply is merely accepting their argument that they have such a right.

They are not Public road while the TT is on they are closed roads, all insurances are paid for by the race committee of the ACU/IOMCC. the monies to pay for the many insurances needed are raised by selling rights to filming, catering and the likes of T shirt shops. If the TT was run on public roads then the Police would be involved on the Track but they are not. Put it this way if someone was to film you in you own garden having it off with your partner without you knowing, then broadcasting it on ManxForums would you be happy.

Also the ACU have introduced a new coarse licence this year to pay for improved safety measures, its cost all the riders an extra £25 each on top of their entry fees.

Also the ACU have introduced a new coarse licence this year to pay for improved safety measures,

All those fat smelly bikers have to be licenced to be rude?

Also the ACU have introduced a new coarse licence this year to pay for improved safety measures,

All those fat smelly bikers have to be licenced to be rude?

I see your still posting shit, get a life Ans for fucks sake

They are not Public road while the TT is on they are closed roads,

This is a fresh take on reality ! By what logic does the temprary closure of public roads pass ownership on to some private body ?

Of course the TT is run on public roads.

I can appreciate the need to recoup expenses - after all each road fatality is estimated to cost the Island some £500,000 (I'm assuming TT costs are the same as those quoted by Gov in its speed campaign) but I too cannot see how public roads visible suddenly become closed to all broadcast photography. The analogy with broadcasting events taking place in private gardens is just a very poor analogy - if it was taking place in the front garden visible to all then I see no mechanism other than insulting public decency to stop it being broadcast, if it were in a private yard needing a 500mm telephoto to see then yes privacy legislation should apply.

They are not Public road while the TT is on they are closed roads,

This is a fresh take on reality ! By what logic does the temprary closure of public roads pass ownership on to some private body ?

Of course the TT is run on public roads.

Wrong the TT is not held on public roads, the Public are not allowed on the roads during roads closed. all expences for the operation of the TT during roads closed are paid by IOMCC. An offence by a member of the public on closed roads has to be reported and recorded by a marshall/official to the police before any legal action can be taken and that happened yesterday when a local yob placed beer cans on the track

Do Greenlight have to get signed 'property releases' such that they can sell footage which includes clearly identifiable private properties? Do they have to obtain signed 'model releases' for all people who appear in any of their footage?

If no to either of the above then I can't really see how they can complain about anyone else filming or photographing similar footage. They might try to complain but I very much doubt that their complaints would stand legal scrutiny.

Material which is used for editorial rather than advertising or marketing purposes doesn't normally need property or model release. Nor does it require permission from anybody. Unless photography and filming is specifically banned (or use of footage is restricted) as a condition of entry. And there is no such condition for the TT which is held in public.

They would probably need 'model' and 'property' releases if any of the footage was used to advertise, for example, a dvd.

If no to either of the above then I can't really see how they can complain about anyone else filming or photographing similar footage. They might try to complain but I very much doubt that their complaints would stand legal scrutiny.

The event is held on public roads and there is nothing in the road closure orders to prevent people filming or broadcasting events held on those roads.

I wonder if it is something to do with the use of the name "TT" ? Could be they have the exclusive rights to broadcast an event with that name ?

Archived