Have You Been Canvassed?

Slim

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Douglas West update:

Corkish: note through door, no manifesto.

Cannell: nothing, nada, rien.

Arden-Corris: posted manifesto.

Shimmin: posted manifesto.

I've realised that a posted manifesto is all I want. I don't like being doorstepped and I won't invite them in because my house is always untidy. That and the fact I don't want to talk to any of them.

Thought about going to the hustings up the road tonight but realised it'll be Amateur Tynwald with a few annoying audience members who'll go on about traffic or dog poo or something.

Rushen

No visitors.

Manifesto from - Gawne, The Abominable Gill, Rimmington, "Call Me Tony", and The Baby Accountant. (only Gawne's has impressed)

No Manifesto from - Tinkler, and Crellin. Although both sent fairly impressive initial letters.

I've got to pick three from that lot!

I've had a couple of manifestos and missed a call. They all say the same old stuff dont they? Housing, Pensions, Immigration, hospital, MEA, the police. Cant someone think of something new?

How about these:

Gordon Brown's options for an exit strategy on Iraq

After Keynes, is moneterism still the way forward ?

Nuclear energy the only truly "green" option

See how many votes that gets you in a Manx election

I've had a couple of manifestos and missed a call. They all say the same old stuff dont they? Housing, Pensions, Immigration, hospital, MEA, the police. Cant someone think of something new?

I'm with "Cheeky" its obviously sad that every candidate has sought to try to provide solutions to things that are wrong with the IOM and are costing us millions as taxpayers.

How unimaginative.

Maybe they should have given their views on astro-physics, or the problems associated with globalisation. Or maybe they should just have highlighted ficticious problems that are not costing us millions but would show that they are thinking outside of the box.

I never had any doorstop canvessing but I did have a very interesting conversation with Nigel Malpass in the shop this week.

I hope he does well, he's a nice bloke but also has his head screwed on and has some very positive vibes about him.

Rushen

Manifestos from all candidates.

One visit from Juan Watterson - which, given that he does not drive and this is a big constituency, was impressive.

All basically saying the same things.

Five candidates have political track records; Gawne, Gill and Rimington as MHKs; Crellin as a Port Erin commissioner; and Tinkler as a Rushen commissioner. Two have no political history, Watterson, and Wright, the latter standing for Peter Karran's Liberal Vannin party. Suspect that the Karran factor is negative in this neck of the woods.

Not an easy call - my third vote is wide open!

I'm in the same position.

One way out in front.

One almost certain of my second vote.

Two very unlikely to get my support.

One would need to hold a gun to my head.

That leaves two fighting for third vote. Do I vote for the sitting member who's done nothing much wrong without setting the world on fire? Or a new guy, who's otherwise impressive manifesto contains a couple of things I strongly disagree with.

(incidently, I don't agree that Rushen is unprofittable territory for the Lib Vans. We've three votes so getting enough people to throw one in the direction of a candidate who'll stir it up a bit might be possible. In fact there's a bit of a history of electing left field candidates down here, just look at the three sittings members - you couldn't say any of them came from an Establishment background - one with a history of criminal direct action, an ex-green, and the Monster Raving Looney Party's Manx representitive. Can't quite understand why they've (L.V.) not seemed interested in seat.)

I would say the chap Rimington is an establishment type. I know he has a green label, but at the end of the day he is a minister and rarely goes against the grain in the house. Perhaps he would disagree with me. He was also a King Bill's chap, which puts him into a definite category I'm afraid.

Generally, I see the establishment as King William's people who unfortunately actually run the Island eg Advocates on about 5-10+ times the income of a politician, and the mere front men - the MHKs - doing the dirty work, are from the 'other' schools.

The baby accountant chap seems to have found the right words to keep on regurgitating as a politician but I see very little substance behind the words. Do you want him fighting your corner in Tynwald? Maybe.

My safe bet would be to put the three sitting candidates back in . . . . even declan's pal .

Archived