Have You Been Canvassed?

Slim

Question in work - "If you lived in South Douglas who'd you vote for"

Answer - "I'd move!"

Ah..Declan..always good for a last minute snipe from the shadows of the internet - still not sure what I did to deserve your ever lasting hate, but I'm sure you have your reasons - I'm just not really bothered about them. I hope you do go out and vote tomorrow, though...

And if you could let us all know at some point how your ideal candidate looks, or how you would do things better, then that'd be great...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dislike you because you ran an opportunistic campaign, nominally against the speed limit, but primarly to rise your profile ahead of this election.

As to my ideal candidate, I doubt that it is possible, a good candidate would need to compromise to get things done and compromises are never ideal. That said Gawne has impressed me greatly in the two years since his election and his manifesto is far stronger than any others I've read. I've not read Steve Babb's manifesto so I don't know if there's anything there to exclude him, but based on what I know of his committment, energy and passion I wish there were 20 candidates like him.

As to what I would do better, I've already done it! I know I'd make a bloody awful MHK and didn't stand.

I dislike you because you ran an opportunistic campaign, nominally against the speed limit, but primarly to rise your profile ahead of this election.

As to my ideal candidate, I doubt that it is possible, a good candidate would need to compromise to get things done and compromises are never ideal. That said Gawne has impressed me greatly in the two years since his election and his manifesto is far stronger than any others I've read. I've not read Steve Babb's manifesto so I don't know if there's anything there to exclude him, but based on what I know of his committment, energy and passion I wish there were 20 candidates like him.

As to what I would do better, I've already done it! I know I'd make a bloody awful MHK and didn't stand.

All the best to you Amadeus and Ripsaw. Hope you both do well. Don't take any notice of bitter people no matter what happens :)

I'm sorry if you think that that's the case - I love cars, driving, and motoring in general - always have, always will. Cars have swallowed up most of my money in the past, and at one point, I had four fuel guzzlers over here - two V12 jags, a big old Merc and a 2.7l Rover - when it comes to the speed limit, or any other nonsense thought up by the DoT, then I'm definitely doing what I do because I mean it, and believe in it. The DoT (or government in general) have such a unique opportunity to do things differently over here, and not to follow the usual nonsense approach the UK tends to take when it comes to motoring, yet they time and time again decide to ignore it, and are absolutely unwilling to think in different ways - that just makes my blood boil...

I would have protested against it anyway - election or not. Taking that the subject is about to raise it's ugly head again very soon, I hope I can prove you wrong on this by standing in the front line again - elected or not. I simply hate the nanny state idea, and will always fight it... I admit that my profile was raised through this a bit, but believe me when I say that it wasn't raised anywhere near as much as you might think, and I'm so absolutely definitely not an opportunist on this matter, you wouldn't believe..

We're currently converting SID from a group of like minded people into a ltd company, so we can raise funds and be more active in future - I hope that this will be beneficial once the next battle starts, and I would also not invest all this time and labour if it would only have been some sort of 'stunt' for the elections...

I do appreciate your reply, though - thanks for that. I was really starting to wonder what I did in order to be shot at all the time.

Just had Ripsaw at the house for over an hour. He thinks outside the box with plenty of his own ideas. We need at least one person like that in the "Keys".

Also I am impressed by Phil Gawne. I expect him to top the poll in Rushen.

I have to back Amadeus up. He has been working for about a year on this election meeting people like me in that time to discuss the issues. The anti-speed campaign was something he was passionate about and so he put his head above the parapet. It wasn't opportunistic in the sense he created the situation but it did come along and the right man for the job grasped the opportunity. Good politics I would say.

I'm sorry if you think that that's the case

I don't think that is the case at all. If you look on the various threads about the speed limit, it took quite a while for anyone to come forward, and SID was actually formed only days before the consultation was due to be completed. I spoke to a variety of people about SID including Frank. In fact I always thought Frank was actually being pushed into doing something. The way the world works - is that 300 people usually moan about something and only 1 person usually tries to do something about it. Also, my brother met Frank and he thinks the same.

Any good politician deals with issues and gets things done, and most politicians have started out by giving support in the community to various groups. It's what they do - or should do - rather than just push a snout into the trough.

On this forum there are many people who are concerned about a variety of subjects - at the end of the day that is why we are all here talking together now. I suspect that in the future we will see several more candidates from here - not just attempting to become MHKs, but town and parish commissioners etc. Maybe one day even the birth of a political party - who knows?

I've not read Steve Babb's manifesto so I don't know if there's anything there to exclude him, but based on what I know of his committment, energy and passion I wish there were 20 candidates like him.

Declan

Surely you think Gillian Blair would make a better candidate!?

I could, and will when I see you next, kiss you for that support. After all these years, to get that from you, given how passionate you are about politics and what they should mean to everyone, that really really means a lot to me.

Steve

p.s. just to ruin a lovely moment, the manifestos are here - http://www.babbfamily.co.uk/election2006.htm then click on Manifesto

Archived