Have You Been Canvassed?

Slim

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reckon I'll be out doing some door-to-door 'supporting' a South Douglas candidate this next week...

How do you door knock in "support" of someone?

If you did that at my house I'd just think great, the candidate is obviously a lazy b*stard you sends some loony out to get the flak instead of himself.

These tactics might work if your canvassing on behalf of a party, but if you stand as an individual candidate get off your bloody lazy arse and go canvassing yourself.

reckon I'll be out doing some door-to-door 'supporting' a South Douglas candidate this next week...

Phil Kermode roped you in has he?

isn't he an East Douglas candidate...

anyhow saw a copy of his newsletter with the word 'update' in the title...impying he's never been out of politics - crafty eh??

also noticed his publicity photo on they newsletter - he's wearing a Red Cross shirt and the Red Cross emblems are fully and prominently visible...it looks like a Red Cross publicity photo...subliminal suggestion that the Red Cross are supporting his campaign...surely this is wrong..I would be interestd to find out if the Red Cross provided authority in advance for the 'photo to be used?? I'm going to ask a chap I know find out...any views anyone else seen the newsletter???

On the subject of canvassing (at a subliminal level).

I was speaking with a couple of sixth formers who got the school visit from various candidates to try to get the "kids" interested in voting.

Seems it was a pretty cringeworthy display of how not to win votes on behalf of some candidates. The new candidates apparently came across vaguely ok and interested in what was said, but those already in office came across as being totally disinterested in what anyone had to say. If they can't take questions from 16 and 17 year olds and treat them seriously they should not have given them the vote. A question asked by a 17 year old who has the right to vote is as valid as anyone elses, but it seems as if quite a bit of talking down was done and some of those defending seats didn't even feel the need to defend their opinions.

How to win friends and influence people.

Steve Babb you were there what were your thoughts?

Phil Kermode roped you in has he?

isn't he an East Douglas candidate...

anyhow saw a copy of his newsletter with the word 'update' in the title...impying he's never been out of politics - crafty eh??

also noticed his publicity photo on they newsletter - he's wearing a Red Cross shirt and the Red Cross emblems are fully and prominently visible...it looks like a Red Cross publicity photo...subliminal suggestion that the Red Cross are supporting his campaign...surely this is wrong..I would be interestd to find out if the Red Cross provided authority in advance for the 'photo to be used?? I'm going to ask a chap I know find out...any views anyone else seen the newsletter???

I doubt that was the inference intended for the photo and not one I would have drawn (do the Red Cross field politicos?), more like, "what an aware and socially conscious chap I am!"

I was there at the meeting, i though it was possibly not the best way for 16 and 17 year olds to have their first meeting with MHks and prospective MHKs, but then some of the young people expressed their unhappiness with it too.

Basically the format was 10 candidates turned up, drew a number from 1 to 10 out of a hat and answered a question from a student in numerical order. Only one person answered each question and suplementary questions were allowed, but only to that person

I can see why this was done, to not allow for long debates on every question, but some of the questions asked would have been better directed at standing members than prospective candidates for the young people to have recieved the best answers

Also, and this is not a criticism, but an observation, and one which needs to be rectified, is that the young people asking the questions did not seem to know if the person answering the question was actually in power or standing. One example was Geoff Corkish getting a blasting about the Wedding Cake costing £11M, when actually that didnt have anything to do with him.

I dont really understand why some of them thought they recieved less than adaquate answers. I thought everyone tried to answer the questions as best they could, with perhaps exception of the liberal vannin party members who used every question to soundbyte the party line rather than actually answer properly. But that's my opinion!

There are two instances I can think about where a student may have misconstrued the answer as being talked down to. Firstly a question to Phil Braidwood about university grants and secondly a question to John Shimmin about immigration. I will elaborate....

Mr Braidwood was asked why every student didnt recieve a maintanence grant for going to university, regardless of parental income, because all working parents paid taxes. Mr Braidwood tried to explain, albeit not wonderfully, that society should look after its less fortunate and that those who could afford to send their children to university should and those who couldnt should recieve state help. The girl asking the question wasnt prepared to accept that as answer, presuably because she doesnt believe that should be the case, so Mr Braidwood ended up explaining the same point three times. This was not him trying to talk down to the student or make her look stupid, he was just expressing what he believes in.

Mr. Shimmin was asked why Manx students wernt able to go away to university and then come back to the island and get jobs because all their jobs were taken by immigrants. The girl in question was referring to physio jobs. Mr Shimmin said that people had different ideas about immigration, but most economic migrants came to the island to work in the low paid jobs and fill the gaps in the economy not taken by manx workers. He told the girl that sometimes there isnt always as many jobs avaiable as applicants and that in that specific field people were in the job for 25-30 years so there wasnt always the oppotunity to come back to the island. he didnt tell her she couldnt come back or that migrants were taking or our jobs or rubbish the view that she had, he just tried to open her eyes to the situation a little more.

Overall i think it was ok, but there were too many students there to really get a chance to enage with all of them to an adequate degree

i hope ive explaine this clearly, i will go further if need be but ive had a long day at work and im tired.

I was there at the meeting, i though it was possibly not the best way for 16 and 17 year olds to have their first meeting with MHks and prospective MHKs, but then some of the young people expressed their unhappiness with it too.

Basically the format was 10 candidates turned up, drew a number from 1 to 10 out of a hat and answered a question from a student in numerical order. Only one person answered each question and suplementary questions were allowed, but only to that person

I can see why this was done, to not allow for long debates on every question, but some of the questions asked would have been better directed at standing members than prospective candidates for the young people to have recieved the best answers

Also, and this is not a criticism, but an observation, and one which needs to be rectified, is that the young people asking the questions did not seem to know if the person answering the question was actually in power or standing. One example was Geoff Corkish getting a blasting about the Wedding Cake costing £11M, when actually that didnt have anything to do with him.

I dont really understand why some of them thought they recieved less than adaquate answers. I thought everyone tried to answer the questions as best they could, with perhaps exception of the liberal vannin party members who used every question to soundbyte the party line rather than actually answer properly. But that's my opinion!

There are two instances I can think about where a student may have misconstrued the answer as being talked down to. Firstly a question to Phil Braidwood about university grants and secondly a question to John Shimmin about immigration. I will elaborate....

Mr Braidwood was asked why every student didnt recieve a maintanence grant for going to university, regardless of parental income, because all working parents paid taxes. Mr Braidwood tried to explain, albeit not wonderfully, that society should look after its less fortunate and that those who could afford to send their children to university should and those who couldnt should recieve state help. The girl asking the question wasnt prepared to accept that as answer, presuably because she doesnt believe that should be the case, so Mr Braidwood ended up explaining the same point three times. This was not him trying to talk down to the student or make her look stupid, he was just expressing what he believes in.

Mr. Shimmin was asked why Manx students wernt able to go away to university and then come back to the island and get jobs because all their jobs were taken by immigrants. The girl in question was referring to physio jobs. Mr Shimmin said that people had different ideas about immigration, but most economic migrants came to the island to work in the low paid jobs and fill the gaps in the economy not taken by manx workers. He told the girl that sometimes there isnt always as many jobs avaiable as applicants and that in that specific field people were in the job for 25-30 years so there wasnt always the oppotunity to come back to the island. he didnt tell her she couldnt come back or that migrants were taking or our jobs or rubbish the view that she had, he just tried to open her eyes to the situation a little more.

Overall i think it was ok, but there were too many students there to really get a chance to enage with all of them to an adequate degree

i hope ive explaine this clearly, i will go further if need be but ive had a long day at work and im tired.

well let's hope you don't get in - you are wet behind the ears.

can i go large please too. no garnish

• 4 weeks later...

North Douglas.

Four candidates: Messrs Atherton, Coleman, Henderson and Houghton.

Three Manifestos: Messrs Coleman, Henderson and Houghton.

Two callers: Messrs Henderson and Houghton(missed him but left card)

Messrs Henderson and Houghton are holding an open day on Saturday 18th at Willaston Methodist Church (I am off Island then)

Port St Mary

Lot's of bumpf in through the letterbox. Flicked through most of it before I binned it. You'd need cigarette paper to seperate the candidates. They are all more or less identical in their policies. All safe predictable stuff. No real thinking outside the box from any of them.

One caller (when I was leaving the house) who I didn't know from Adam. Says he's a sitting MHK but didn't catch the name. If I wasn't in a rush I would have asked why the only time I've seen him ever in the town was when he came looking for me to elect him into a job.

Douglas South

David Buttery - Manifesto through Post

Rodney Clarke - Manifesto through Post

David Cretney - Manifesto through Post (with handwritten envelope!)

Phil Kermode - Manifesto through Post

Bill Malarkey - Manifesto through Post and knocked on Door for a chat

Frank Schuengel - Nothing.....

Archived