Who Is The Most Famous Person To Reside On The Isle Of Man?

spermann

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fletcher Christian from the Bounty was always the best known Manxman before TV and popstars were invented.

Fletcher Christian wasn't a Manxman. He was born and raised in Cumbria, though he was of Manx ancestry & apparently spent some time in Douglas.

That may as be, but before the very under age sex and in-breeding etc. came out down the Pitcairns, it seemed that every Manxman under the sun was proud to hale him as a son of the homeland. I wonder if they still laud him in the school history lessons like they did in my day or has he been airbrushed out of Manx history?

I don't remember him being lauded as a Manxman, just as someone of Manx ancestry, but even tenuous connections with the IOM seemed to be seized upon. Both he and his father were born in Cumbria, though the family connection with the Christians of Milntown meant that the family had property on the Isle of Man.

Dan Quayle vice president of the US under Bush snr

If you go down that route you end up with George W Bush who claims to be a direct decendant to Myles Standish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myles_Standish

Who is placed either in Lancashire or here depending on where you look for references.

It frightens the arse out of me that any manx connection could be responsible for that moron, but you never know.

Tony Blair is also of Manx descent of course.

I can't believe that someone from Chorley was able to guide a boat across the Atlantic. As anyone who has lived in Preston can atest, people from Chorley have enough trouble guiding food to their mouths.

Dan Quayle vice president of the US under Bush snr

If you go down that route you end up with George W Bush who claims to be a direct decendant to Myles Standish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myles_Standish

Who is placed either in Lancashire or here depending on where you look for references.

It frightens the arse out of me that any manx connection could be responsible for that moron, but you never know.

If you don't like it there's a stealth bomber in the morning.

Archived