Decennt Chippy

mollag

Ramsey Trawlerman wins hands down - the large cod is megavalue.

But they can't make chips properly!

The Mandarin next door does better chips. (Still not brilliant I grant you, although chips, fried rice and curry sauce is hard to beat at the end of a night out.)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fish and chips eh, mmmm, yummy. Or is it? Always seems like a good idea in advance. The wait in the queue, absorbing the aroma of very hot hydrogenated vegetable oils. (and that's just the chef's T zone, lol,lol... ; )). Then you get your cod or haddock and chips, seasoned as you like it and off you go to a good dining area be it at home or al fresco amongst the scrounging seagulls. Now, I admit that the first two or three mouthfuls are rather pleasurable, but let's be honest, it's all rather rapidly downhill thereafter, isn't it? The food quickly starts to congeal, emphasising the internal damage reaped upon the digestive sytem. And what's that in the fish? I hope it's a vein, but it might just be one of those unpalatable cod worms so rampant in these species as a result of the chronically dwindling stocks. Still, at least it's not moving, lol, that's the main thing. Usually at this point, I go off the idea and head for the nearest bin whilst muttering, never again. But you always go back eh? One never learns...................... lol........ ; )

Fish and chips eh, mmmm, yummy. Or is it? Always seems like a good idea in advance. The wait in the queue, absorbing the aroma of very hot hydrogenated vegetable oils. (and that's just the chef's T zone, lol,lol... ; )). Then you get your cod or haddock and chips, seasoned as you like it and off you go to a good dining area be it at home or al fresco amongst the scrounging seagulls. Now, I admit that the first two or three mouthfuls are rather pleasurable, but let's be honest, it's all rather rapidly downhill thereafter, isn't it? The food quickly starts to congeal, emphasising the internal damage reaped upon the digestive sytem. And what's that in the fish? I hope it's a vein, but it might just be one of those unpalatable cod worms so rampant in these species as a result of the chronically dwindling stocks. Still, at least it's not moving, lol, that's the main thing. Usually at this point, I go off the idea and head for the nearest bin whilst muttering, never again. But you always go back eh? One never learns...................... lol........ ; )

That's where the Charterhouse wins out, they use a different sort of oil to cook everything (not hydrogenated for starters), they cook the fish to order so they're always nice and fresh and properly cooked, and whatever they do with the chips means that instead of ending up with little greasy fat sponges that do indeed make you want to throw up after half a portion, you get chips that are fairly 'dry,' a bit crispy on the outside and nice and fluffy on the inside.

The pies are decent too, those Pukka Pie thingies that don't have hydrogenated fats in them.

tis coming towards my "blue moon" time and a split and fish is on the cards [slight rotundity issues]

I dont want to waste it on crap tucker so where is good, the Chartroom looks inviting but i have fell for that before.

Any advice please ?

Oh yes, also where can i get Cream of Tartar ?

Hi The mayflower take away in Anagh Coar still has a seperate chippy part as well as chinese. They have recently changed their frying oil so the chips are great! Oh and the cod is enormous!!!!

p.s it is proper english style fish & chips ;)

Terrace Chippy used to be good. Used to be good. Now it is bloody awful. Went back to the IOM last week and what they served up was rank.

The 'cod' was not cod, the chips were greasy and the mushy peas tasted of soap. Heartburn ensued.

Terrace Chippy used to be good. Used to be good. Now it is bloody awful. Went back to the IOM last week and what they served up was rank.

The 'cod' was not cod, the chips were greasy and the mushy peas tasted of soap. Heartburn ensued.

Are you sure you didn't pop into the chemist next door by mistake?

The pies are decent too, those Pukka Pie thingies that don't have hydrogenated fats in them.

I'm unsure about the ingredients of these British classics, but I agree with you on Pukka Pies. They are jolly nice. (For sake of fairness, Holland's are very good, as are many others, not too keen on Ginster's products though, they seem a little too mass produced for my taste). However, it has to be said there are establishments on the island who even manage to cock the preparation of these up. And you ONLY NEED TO WARM THE BLOODY THINGS UP! That can't be difficult, can it. Apparently so, I've had several that seemed to have been dropped directly into a blast furnace and left in there for 20 minutes. (But still served tepid, lol,lol...... now there's talent!)

Are you sure you didn't pop into the chemist next door by mistake?

No, that's the co-op, smarty pants :P

The sweet shop was next door but one to the foristers pub, we used to get our mojo's there in the morning before running up to circular road to catch the bus to st marys.

You used to catch a bus from Circular Road to St Mary's?! If this is the same time as Mollag, St Mary's was where Government Offices is now.

most chemists will stock it but also Tescos should have it - it's a major component of baking soda etc as it provides the acid to release the CO2 from the bicarbonate when water is added - it's also a laxative !

Tried all the usual suspects with no luck :( then tipped the wink by a young friend and found it inHowards on windsor Road Woooooo!

tis coming towards my "blue moon" time and a split and fish is on the cards [slight rotundity issues]

I dont want to waste it on crap tucker so where is good, the Chartroom looks inviting but i have fell for that before.

Any advice please ?

tarter from tescos and the best chippy is the new one at the trffic lights near tesco good value for oney

Any advice please ?

tarter from tescos and the best chippy is the new one at the trffic lights near tesco good value for oney

that is the chart room

The sweet shop was next door but one to the foristers pub, we used to get our mojo's there in the morning before running up to circular road to catch the bus to st marys.

You used to catch a bus from Circular Road to St Mary's?! If this is the same time as Mollag, St Mary's was where Government Offices is now.

St mary's school! The new one i guess, I aint that old

Archived