Decennt Chippy

mollag

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chartroom is brilliant. The best fish and chips you can get over here and I've tried them all(well virtually). I can only compare them to the finest F&C shop in all of christendom which is of course the original Harry Ramsdens in Guiseley, Leeds. Dont be fooled by the Franchises of the same name which there should be a law against ! Secreledge :crying:

Took, well, tried to take the kids there for supper last night, 9pm, was shut. Not managed to catch it open yet.

Islander shut too. Terrace had a queue out the door and onto the street.

I have been to the chartroom a couple of times and its been ok, they do nice pies and fish but there chips are awful in my opinion.

I personally like the islanders chips. The terrace use to do really nice chips but since they taste .. well like they are out of packet.

Port jack use to be nice...

Remember Dicky's from port st.mary before it was given to his son and started serving kebabs ?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm going to scrape a bit more then. :P

Me and mrs Cret went to the chartroom a few weeks ago now for the first time and I was eagerly expecting uber chips judging by all the glowing comments on here, but frankly I was quite disappointed, and so was mrs Cret.

All we had was a porrtion of chips each, and while they seemed a wee bit pricey compared to other chippies it was a ruddy big serving - no issue there.

The chips looked superb, large chunky buggers and a beautiful dark golden colour - great, but they were not remotely crispy - quite limp actually - and seemed to be bland and almost powdery spud. Barely any taste to them either. This was on a Saturday afternoon.

Real shame after all the great comments here. Now I know it's not my taste in chips that's off, so I'll leave it a while and then go back to try again since I'm sure it must have just been an off day or something. So many people can't be wrong I'm sure.

I can't imagine they'd be as good as Port Erin's finest though regardless. ;)

I've never been disappointed with the boathouse (I think that's what it's called) at Castle Mona Avenue. It's the one round the back of the newsagents.

Almost took a picture of the fish, chops, mushy peas I got from it the other day and it tasted as good as it looked...

I've never been disappointed with the boathouse (I think that's what it's called) at Castle Mona Avenue. It's the one round the back of the newsagents.

Almost took a picture of the fish, chops, mushy peas I got from it the other day and it tasted as good as it looked...

why did you get 'Chops' with your fish? most people get chips or are you 'exotic' and have a delicate taste............

• 2 years later...

Instead of starting a new topic, I searched and.. Voila!

What is your opinion on the chippys in the IOM now?

I've been to The Chart Room since new ownership and it has been good.

Tempted to try their Haggis.

Went to the Terrace last week and the service is fast but wasn't that keen on the food.

Haven't had a Port Erin Chippy for a few years and may try that out next.

Comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

IMO it depends on the time of day. If it's ~midday then in general the food is good and fresh, at 2PM it can start going down hill, at 4PM it's out taking the dog for a walk.

When I was last over I visited Port Erin's chippy quite a few times, no complaints.

None of the rock's chippies are a patch on those I experienced a few weeks ago in Cornwall and last year in Southend, mainly because the fish was fresh. I asked about the source of the fish at a major Manx chippie and the boss showed me the packaging - comes from northern Russian seas.

Terrace and islander , bland anemic looking chips and a right rip off . Service is fast tho

Charteroom . Decent food , slighty cheap than above . You have to wait for everything to be cooked . Nice that things are cooked to order , not nice if you have the kids sat in the car .

The chippy i'm liking at the moment PEEL , the one on the quay . Foods good , prices good , service good

I believe the Terrace own Port Jack and have something to do with the Islander - when Terrace chippy had that fire all their staff in the Islander with a message on the door saying to use the Islander and since it had a revamp and the staff are still used in both I believe.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

I also noticed upon a walk months ago that Moby Dick's window saying closed due to renovation but upon another walk I peeked in the window and nothing had been done.

No idea on the above.

The Terrace must make a mint though as it's always heaving in there and somehow has high acclaim with people I know? Unbelievable.

Archived