Decennt Chippy

mollag

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh yes, also where can i get Cream of Tartar ?

most chemists will stock it but also Tescos should have it - it's a major component of baking soda etc as it provides the acid to release the CO2 from the bicarbonate when water is added - it's also a laxative !

Hang on Molly, i lived in Hope street and remember Cunliffes opening, i dont remember any sweet shops in Hope Street, it was all residential that side. Three doors up could well have been Low and Rose Kelly's

mind you i left in 1961, we emmigrated to Bucks Road where we were handy for Maggie spits and the Rio del Swill :rolleyes:

The sweet shop was next door but one to the foristers pub, we used to get our mojo's there in the morning before running up to circular road to catch the bus to st marys. As for hope street chippy, it was always a bit hit and miss as i remember. The word used to get round when they changed the chip fat and then the chips were spot on. A split with batter bits! yum

Does the Chartroom even beat The Terrace Chippy?

For me, the speed of service, quantity, price, quality of food and range of fodder available makes The Terrace a tough act to follow.

Beat? Annihilate more like... I start sounding as if I'm working for them (which I'm not) :)

You gotta wait a little as most stuff's made fresh when you order it, but I don't mind - rather have a fresh fish than anything that was sitting there for an hour...

Portions are good, prices ok. Had Fish, Chips, Mushy peas & onion rings the other day - 6 quid

£6???????? :o

Sometimes I miss the isle of man not a jot.

Hang on Molly, i lived in Hope street and remember Cunliffes opening, i dont remember any sweet shops in Hope Street, it was all residential that side. Three doors up could well have been Low and Rose Kelly's

mind you i left in 1961, we emmigrated to Bucks Road where we were handy for Maggie spits and the Rio del Swill :rolleyes:

The sweet shop was next door but one to the foristers pub, we used to get our mojo's there in the morning before running up to circular road to catch the bus to st marys. As for hope street chippy, it was always a bit hit and miss as i remember. The word used to get round when they changed the chip fat and then the chips were spot on. A split with batter bits! yum

Dave Newtons family [pig farms] took over in the seventies and did well keeping up the quality, but once they left it went downhill :(

the sweetshop is new to me, well out of toucn eh!

That's pretty good going, It's about £5 for fish and chips here in Stoke (not exactly money capital of England) so £6 for fish, chips, onion rings and mushy peas isn't astronomical!

That's pretty good going, It's about £5 for fish and chips here in Stoke (not exactly money capital of England) so £6 for fish, chips, onion rings and mushy peas isn't astronomical!

Don't worry, Ean - he's Scottish :rolleyes:

Don't worry, Ean - he's Scottish :rolleyes:

So how much is he paying for fish & chips and a deep-fried Mars bar?

Ooh, my favourite chippy dinner is chips, sausage, mushy peas and curry sauce. I'm too scared to ask for it anywhere outside of Ramsey though....I love the chips in the trawlerman.

Don't they batter and deep fry everything in Scotland and call it 'supper'? Pizza supper = battered and fried pizza with chips, ditto haggis and sausage.

Quines corner is excellent, but at just under 6 quid, if I attempt one more large chips cheese and gravy with 2 burgers on top, I think it will be the death of me. I cannot speak highly enough of the overall quality of the place, well done Mr Wheelan.

Archived