Decennt Chippy

mollag

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also noticed upon a walk months ago that Moby Dick's window saying closed due to renovation but upon another walk I peeked in the window and nothing had been done.

Yeah, it's been dead for a long time, pretty sure it's a gonner.

I'd hate to try and run a chippy, I'm sure they don't want to use the cheapest fish like GD4, but if they didn't they'd lose customers with the high price. I don't think most chippy customers want quality food, they want hot fatty starch covered in reconstituted sauces with some resemblance to peas, curry and gravy topped with cheese.

Your seafront in cornwall might get away with selling quality, better supply of local fish and a stream of tourists who'll pay for it, but a town centre chippy is pretty equally dire anywhere.

Noticed the Kirk Michael roving chippy gets good queues when in Laxey, they must be doing something right.

Noticed the Kirk Michael roving chippy gets good queues when in Laxey, they must be doing something right.

They are doing something very right.

One reason why fish comes from Russia is lack of cod this side of the British Isles?

When I was a lad cod was so cheap I could buy it for the cat direct from the boat in Ramsey with my pocket money!

Bourne Plaice in Ramsey has been a delight since it opened - Trawlerman improved too, competition is great

Been meaning to give that place a try. May pay a visit tomorrow.

In Douglas/Onchan I find Port Jack to be the best but only if it is quiet and they have time to cook the chips properly.

If it's busy I tend to give it a miss and head down to the Chart Room.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I thought I would give Kirk Michael Chippy a whirl now they've pitched up in Onchan on Saturday nights.

My hopes were low given they are effectively serving from a caravan in a petrol station but WOW! that was without a doubt the best chippy tea I have had in years.

Highly recommended.

I thought I would give Kirk Michael Chippy a whirl now they've pitched up in Onchan on Saturday nights.

My hopes were low given they are effectively serving from a caravan in a petrol station but WOW! that was without a doubt the best chippy tea I have had in years.

Highly recommended.

How much Onchan rates do they pay compared to Port Jack, who have all the additional overhead of being there all the time, open at lunchtimes etc.

Doesn't seem fair that they just pitch up at the weekends and steal business from Port Jack, Baileys etc that are there all the time.

I know I will be in the minority, but I don't think they should be allowed.

Why don't we just make it illegal for anyone from another parish to do business in another? Or apply indirect taxes? For Onchan they could have Customs checkpoints on the Whitebridge Rd and Governors Road to enforce export taxes on goods e.g. Fish and chips bought off foreigners from say, Kirk Michael.

Why don't we just make it illegal for anyone from another parish to do business in another? Or apply indirect taxes? For Onchan they could have Customs checkpoints on the Whitebridge Rd and Governors Road to enforce export taxes on goods e.g. Fish and chips bought off foreigners from say, Kirk Michael.

They should also stop people making chips at home. They're taking business away from the hard working chip shop owners.

Did you make it back to the IoM then old chap or are you still looking at Cornwall? I hear the chips in Padstow are special...

They are doing something very right.

One reason why fish comes from Russia is lack of cod this side of the British Isles?

When I was a lad cod was so cheap I could buy it for the cat direct from the boat in Ramsey with my pocket money!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived