[BBC News] Plans for £4m black spot solution

Newsbot

Is the pub getting demolished? It appears on the plans.

I *think* that it is shown to help people imagine how the roundabout will look, where it will be placed etc - AFAIK the QB is being demolished, but you never can tell.

I notice on the plans as well, that it will encroach on the old railway line. Now some of you will probably say "so what"!!?!?!.. Personally I think it sends a clear message about the governments attitudes to alternatives to the car. How much over £4M would it cost to put a railway back to peel, or build a decent cycleway along to North Quay?

Of course in this car obsessed Island why on earth bother to consider any other alternative actions?

Also the comments about not encroaching on the TT is a joke as well - I mean we can destroy everything else in the area, but we can't possibly affect the TT course!...

I think the road planners are falling into the same trap of funnelling all the traffic to one hot spot rather than providing multiple routes to disperse traffic and reduce congestion, just look how the wonderful 'plan' in lower Douglas works with one way schemes and multiple bottlenecks !

I think the road planners are falling into the same trap of funnelling all the traffic to one hot spot rather than providing multiple routes to disperse traffic and reduce congestion, just look how the wonderful 'plan' in lower Douglas works with one way schemes and multiple bottlenecks !

Surely the cheapo solution is to turn all of the Peel Road/Pulrose area into a huge roundabout - eg Peel Road from QB is Douglas bound only, Pulrose bridge is right turn only (or left from Douglas), right onto groves road , Right at end of Groves road back to QB. Simple. Of course that wouldn't give the excuse to waste 4M on a roundabout...

Surely the cheapo solution is to turn all of the Peel Road/Pulrose area into a huge roundabout - eg Peel Road from QB is Douglas bound only, Pulrose bridge is right turn only (or left from Douglas), right onto groves road , Right at end of Groves road back to QB. Simple. Of course that wouldn't give the excuse to waste 4M on a roundabout...

Love that idea. Leave loads of room for fringe of town car parking, bike lanes, a bus lane, etc, and make a car journy a little more inconvenient that might discorage shorter trips. StuartT for president.

So how does this £4m project prevent everyone coming from the west having to give way to everyone coming from the south every morning thus causing large tailbacks towards Braddan Bridge?

Wouldn't it have been cheaper, quicker and easier to drop an atomic bomb on Peel?

On the plus side it looks like a great indycar racing track

Edited by TerryMcCann

Well, I took a trundle down to the Sea Terminal today to have a look and annoy some government type people.

To be honest, the biggest issue with their desired plan is that it will take at least 5 years of even more accidents before the locals manage to figure out how it works. First use of spiral lane markings, I expect we will see the first fatality within the first 3 months of it opening. Some poor old dear gets hypnotized and continues round and round before dying of starvation.

Apparently they are taking out the roundabout at the bus depot, AND changing the light timing during peak times on Quines Corner to deter people cutting through that way, so if you thought it was hell getting out of tescos after a long days work before, you will love this.

That said, I do like the idea of a larger roundabout, mini-roundabouts require a level of alertness and reactions that the Isle of Man (in general) just does not possess. Moving the entry lanes further apart allows people to finish their sudoku and still make a decision as to if they have enough time to move on.

It doesn't look a bad plan but £4m for such a project seems a bit of a white elephant (same with the runway extension). I take it most of the money will be spent on the new 'bridge' and groundworks, but a lot of these pet projects have pretty absurd price tags - is there anywhere we can see any form of pricework for these?

If it's at the display or whatever I apologise, but I can't really be bothered going to a rounabout convention

I am fortunate I can sit back and watch all this happening, I have no reason to use that juction now thank god. You better believe I will be there on opening day with a camcorder and a subscription to youtube though.

Apparently they are taking out the roundabout at the bus depot, AND changing the light timing during peak times on Quines Corner to deter people cutting through that way, so if you thought it was hell getting out of tescos after a long days work before, you will love this.

That will make the problem at QB even worse. All they need to do at allow right turns at the railway and that problem will go away. Cost? virtually nil.

That will make the problem at QB even worse. All they need to do at allow right turns at the railway and that problem will go away. Cost? virtually nil.

How will this make the problem at the QB worse? Surely the intention is encourage people to go out past Kewaigue, which they will now have to do unless they want to go over the swing bridge.

How will this make the problem at the QB worse? Surely the intention is encourage people to go out past Kewaigue, which they will now have to do unless they want to go over the swing bridge.

The problem at QB is caused by two things. Firstly, the traffic along peel road towards Brown Bobby, and on to Quines Corner. And secondly, the amount of traffic from the South and Farmhill trying to get into town.

Because the situation getting into town via Kewaigue is so dire, many opt to go via QB. The reasons it is so dire are firstly, you cannot turn right by the railway. This in turn backs people up Athol Street and to Brown Bobby, and ultimately QB. The second reason is that they made Walpole Avenue one way the wrong way. Walpole avenue used to act as a buffer taking the strain off lower Douglas round about. It no longer does that. Now everyone for Douglas and the boat has to go past the sea terminal all at the same time (in the evening).

As I said in an earlier post, the problem at QB is not caused by getting onto the round about it is by the inability to exit it.

they made Walpole Avenue one way the wrong way. Walpole avenue used to act as a buffer taking the strain off lower Douglas round about. It no longer does that. Now everyone for Douglas and the boat has to go past the sea terminal all at the same time (in the evening).

I don't agree with that one - people used to use Walpole Avenue as a long-tail run, and cut their way into the queue of traffic that had come across the front of the sea terminal causing, the traffic to back up even worse than it does now, which in turn sent more people down Walpole Avenue to cut their way into the queue. It was horrendous, and got loads of people frustrated. The current system is much fairer.