Tv Licence Inspector On The Iom

MilitantDogOwner

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's simple. If you don't watch at all then you shouldn't pay.

Unfortunately for your argument Crapita and the law disagrees with your opinion. They concur with me in that if you don't receive a live broadcast, then you don't have to pay. It really is that simple.

As a business model I can't think why the BBC make their programmes available for free, but seeing as they've specifically chosen to do so when iPlayer was launched, then I'll avail myself of the service. Similarly the radio, should I pay for that; I'm around 95% radio (home/work/car), 5% download (iPlayer/4On Demand/ITV/Youtube). Now I know that irks you, in that you pay (?, proof needed) so you think everybody else should too, but that's life.

iPlayer is a business decision on behalf of the BBC, the decision to charge won't happen anytime soon, accept it and move on.

Douglas ratepayers operate the horse trams. If you made it free it'd be packed, if you dropped the subsidy the customers would vanish. So why do the customers not have to contribute to the 'Douglas' subsidy?

If MT didn't give any 'free' texts, then I wouldn't send any. But if I stayed within my free allocation, you'd be the type to complain when you exceeded yours.

As for Blade and his juvenile "everyone's a liar" outburst. He needs a job with Crapita, my guess is they'd be a perfect match.

TBT

It's simple. If you don't watch at all then you shouldn't pay.

Unfortunately for your argument Crapita and the law disagrees with your opinion. They concur with me in that if you don't receive a live broadcast, then you don't have to pay. It really is that simple.

As a business model I can't think why the BBC make their programmes available for free, but seeing as they've specifically chosen to do so when iPlayer was launched, then I'll avail myself of the service. Similarly the radio, should I pay for that; I'm around 95% radio (home/work/car), 5% download (iPlayer/4On Demand/ITV/Youtube). Now I know that irks you, in that you pay (?, proof needed) so you think everybody else should too, but that's life.

iPlayer is a business decision on behalf of the BBC, the decision to charge won't happen anytime soon, accept it and move on.

Douglas ratepayers operate the horse trams. If you made it free it'd be packed, if you dropped the subsidy the customers would vanish. So why do the customers not have to contribute to the 'Douglas' subsidy?

If MT didn't give any 'free' texts, then I wouldn't send any. But if I stayed within my free allocation, you'd be the type to complain when you exceeded yours.

As for Blade and his juvenile "everyone's a liar" outburst. He needs a job with Crapita, my guess is they'd be a perfect match.

TBT

Hmmmm. You are the tetchy one here aren't you? It strikes me that you protest too much. You, along with others, have latched on to the fact that there is a loophole in the law whereby you can watch BBC content free of charge. You are taking advantage of this to do so at the expense of others who do pay their share similar to any other form of tax evasion or shoplifting. You are correct in that the loophole is very strange. I am simply advocating its closure as soon as possible and then you could go back to being a straightforward licence dodger without all of this "I only watch downloads" nonsense.

>there is a loophole in the law whereby you can watch BBC content free of charge.

On that we are agreed.

>You are correct in that the loophole is very strange.

Strange in that it was all of the BBC's own manufacture...akin to the RAC advising that you don't need to join as we'll jump start your car anyhow. Then all the 'full' members (aka button brains) get tetchy about how it's costing them to join. Really it's not me you should be complaining about. Odd, a business hands out freebies, then sends round the bully boys to get you to pay. It's a scam; need to involve Trading Standards.

>...then you could go back to being a straightforward licence dodger without all of this "I only watch downloads" nonsense.

Probably go across to Youtube, and get this; the BBC put out programmes there too.

Couldn't make it up could you?

TBT.

Go on TBT, tell us you watch live broadcasts while we button brains pay for them. Be a devil. You know you want to rub our noses in it.

Live broadcasts are inconvenient to the watcher. That's why MoTD repeat the goals in slow motion.

Besides, you have to pay, so why not watch at ones own convenience for free? If the logic of that argument passes the reader by, then they must be one of the 'button brains' to which I've previously referred.

Let me spell it out. These are the BBC's own rules (not Blade's or woolley's) as enforced by Crapita.

Watch any live broadcast = £145.50

Selective download inc. radio = £ free

ITV are currently charging for some download. Sky are exclusively PPview. So there's no excuse for the Beeb not to emulate if they so desire.

And what if everyone went exclusively download (currently 430k households or 1.5% of total), then yes the BBC would fail. But the customer would then watch C4/ITV and/or transfer their £12/month licence fee across to Sky and Sir Terry, Sir Brucie et al would require another trough to feed from.

Incidentally, Nautilus Fitness (down by Waltons somewhere) contacted me via an unsolicited call to my ex-directory number to offer a discount on membership and a free session with their fitness 'consultant'. (Consultant? Yeh right, probably some Billy Whizz in plimsoles and singlet...).

Surely all the more galling for their full members who shell out top dollar monthly and get stung £25 for personal fitness sessions?

Incidentally, you can get the same benefit from walking a dog and eating 5 lots of fruit and veg a day.

However, I've long since accepted that some people just like wasting money.

TBT

TBT Quote "Incidentally, Nautilus Fitness (down by Waltons somewhere) contacted me via an unsolicited call to my ex-directory number to offer a discount on membership and a free session with their fitness 'consultant'. "

We had one of those, too, to our ex-d number.

The last thing we want is cold calls, even if we were remotely interested in the product.

Who is responsible for this?

TBT Quote "Incidentally, Nautilus Fitness (down by Waltons somewhere) contacted me via an unsolicited call to my ex-directory number to offer a discount on membership and a free session with their fitness 'consultant'. "

We had one of those, too, to our ex-d number.

The last thing we want is cold calls, even if we were remotely interested in the product.

Who is responsible for this?

I got one of those too last week also to my ex-directory number, quite persistent they were too, they finally got the hint when I said I had a fetish about sweaty people and asked if many of their existing clients sweat when they work out...............

I wonder if anyone actually got collared this time round by the TV inspectors. Most of the calls to scrap the damn thing have stopped these days.

Old IOM Today stories from 2008 etc all ended up "Yeah, we'd best not change anything"

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/probe-into-future-of-tv-licence-in-isle-of-man-1-1743781

Archived