Roadworks Watch

Silentbob

Since I tend to walk or drive past the latest DoT money burning project, I thought a little diary of their escapades was in order.

Each day is taken approx 2pm. All work happens in real time.

Day 1, road closed. DoT worker spotted loitering in the back of trailer. Some evidence of rodent damage to pavement, JCB positioned in order to take credit.

post-712-1265227516_thumb.jpg

Day 2, memo to DoT "Check Brakes on Compressor". Multiple 'huddle' groups of Workers forming, this is expected to increase of coming weeks. JCB now seems to have been completely surrounded by rodent damage to both a section of pavement, and a small amount of wall. [i have hidden the identities of the 'workers' (term used loosely) as it made them cry]

post-712-1265744996_thumb.jpg

Please note that further transmissions may not be possible to my lack of being arsed.

If you see any comedy actions on these roadworks (just wait for a minute or 2, they are quite common) feel free to carry on from where I got bored.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not just a case of turning up with a digger and digging a hole. Services have to be identified, (telecoms, gas, electric, water, sewers, rainwater drains) these are not always it the places thought to be, hit a fibre optic cable and its big bugs to repair. As to the huddles, men are working near a public highway and under H&S have to have banks-men in attendance, men are not allowed to work in trenches alone plus many other issues. There are also issues of working in poor weather conditions ect, but how would you know, your probably sat on you arse in a warm office doing little work except to post on Internet forums of the performance of men on low incomes doing a thankless job.

They might try cutting the dead wood, and then they could afford to put temporary lights on both sides of the road............ Or did the thousands of pounds of risk asessment think that would be confusing to the general public? My mate works for the DoT and is on this job. He keeps telling me all he does is get out of the wagon for a few minutes an hour, looks busy, then goes across the road for a bacon bap. Where do I get an application form? Have worked in the Ukraine through the winter a few years ago, so I dont think the weather (or the wagon`s heater, or the fast food, or reaing The Daily Sport for 55 minutes in every hour) would be a problem.

Well, since I have blown my cover and already received threats from the DoT Mafia, I thought it best to send an associate to the scene today around 14:00.

The scene quite frankly was astounding, it seems that they have been eager to dispell any rumours of gross laziness, and a huge gaping hole has appeared in the road, whether or not this hole is part of the plan, or was just to show off remains unclear.

Although by 15:00ish when I stopped by for a look, they had realised that in doing this, they had in fact managed to overtake ther weekly quota of work in a few hours and were back to hiding behind the JCB in a concentrated huddle.

No pics this time, as my phone had frozen up in the cold, gotten wet in the rain, and had been crushed by my violin case.

If they return to lifting one paving slab a day again, I will reutrn to photographing them and posting comments about the DoT.

:zorro:

Well, since I have blown my cover and already received threats from the DoT Mafia, I thought it best to send an associate to the scene today around 14:00.

The scene quite frankly was astounding, it seems that they have been eager to dispell any rumours of gross laziness, and a huge gaping hole has appeared in the road, whether or not this hole is part of the plan, or was just to show off remains unclear.

Although by 15:00ish when I stopped by for a look, they had realised that in doing this, they had in fact managed to overtake ther weekly quota of work in a few hours and were back to hiding behind the JCB in a concentrated huddle.

No pics this time, as my phone had frozen up in the cold, gotten wet in the rain, and had been crushed by my violin case.

If they return to lifting one paving slab a day again, I will reutrn to photographing them and posting comments about the DoT.

:zorro:

Do you know what we need ? We need a webcam set-up or something..............

I was thinking of asking the shops along there if they had inet access and would mind me setting up a DoTcam, but I thought it was a bit cheeky.

actually a realtime camera would not reveal to much maybe we need some thing more like a time-lapse camera

SilentBob, are you aware that taking photographs of people and publishing them for public viewing without their consent is an offence? And are you aware that people like you are the kind of idiot that bring about a totallitarian government with your snooping and spying, imagine a world where everyone was like you snooping and spying on everyone, if that's your idea of utopia then I hope I make it to hell, and yes I am employed by the Department of Transport and if you ever publish a photo of me I will indeed prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law.

SilentBob, the MannGIS didn't pick up on the MEA cable feeding the Douglas Corporation's cabinet, which also feeds the traffic signals controller, this is a live cable that was known about but where underground it actually goes nobody knew until it was carefully hand dug so as not to cause death, but then you obviously knew that because you seem to be an authority about underground services and excavation techniques, as most smug, smart arses who end up looking like a knob usually do...I suggest you live up to your pseudonymn and remain silent in all forms.

Dr. Lecter, I agree with you, there should be two sets of lights at the end of Athol Street.

SilentBob, are you aware that taking photographs of people and publishing them for public viewing without their consent is an offence?

No it isn't. And don't bother arguing that because you are wrong :)

If an image is taken on private property or is used to promote something commercially or politically then there may be legal and / or rights issues. But that's not what you are talking about.

SilentBob, are you aware that taking photographs of people and publishing them for public viewing without their consent is an offence?

No it isn't. And don't bother arguing that because you are wrong :)

If an image is taken on private property or is used to promote something commercially or politically then there may be legal and / or rights issues. But that's not what you are talking about.

How apt that Matt finished his next post with 'smug, smart arses who end up looking like a knob' :D :D

Archived