Roadworks Watch

Silentbob

Yay, its Back, i was most upset when i found it this thread had been shrouded in Manannins cloak , all i can say is 'Hurray' for common sense :D even if that is a bit thin on the ground around here.....

I have some time off in the next couple of weeks and was thinking of spending a couple of hours at 'Ground zero' with a flask of coffee and just jot down actually how many minutes of work are done in say 2 hours, if there are 4 guys working present 4x2 will equal 8 hours of work time and then from that snapshot we could work out how much time is wasted, if there was a couple of volunteers we could research a whole working day, 4 staff x 8 hours =32 work hours in just one day.....

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yay, its Back, i was most upset when i found it this thread had been shrouded in Manannins cloak , all i can say is 'Hurray' for common sense :D even if that is a bit thin on the ground around here.....

I have some time off in the next couple of weeks and was thinking of spending a couple of hours at 'Ground zero' with a flask of coffee and just jot down actually how many minutes of work are done in say 2 hours, if there are 4 guys working present 4x2 will equal 8 hours of work time and then from that snapshot we could work out how much time is wasted, if there was a couple of volunteers we could research a whole working day, 4 staff x 8 hours =32 work hours in just one day.....

WOW that sounds like a plan.. what about the work out at marown or glen vine..

WOW that sounds like a plan.. what about the work out at marown or glen vine..

You mean the one they've just extended the road closure for by a week because the.................................

Was just talking to somebody that works in the DOT on the road gangs and by all acconts the bossers and workers of that job are not vary happy about the pictures being taken.

the boss that be were looking into if they can get them stopped etc or was any laws broken etc.

That is all he knew but did say there was some vary intresting convs about it bei8ng done.

keep up the good work you have ruffled the feathers a bit :cool:

They haven't even seen what I have in store for them on Richmond Hill.

They are gonna shit bricks...literally :D

Expensive. For that one, you'll need a time lapse camera and at least one 36 exposure film to capture all discernable movements over a year.

Any truth in the rumour that Typhoo are after some kind of a sponsorship deal?

so that's the new cost cutting initiative to save money being brought in to save our £140 million shortfall :huh:

and why was there 2 men sat in a drainage wagon at the junction on road island road round-a-bout all day when a decent sign could have carried out the same job or was the sign to over-qualified to carry out the job of directing traffic.. 2 men 4hours @ time and a half the 4hours @ double time so say they earn 9.50 an hour standard rate equals £133 each for a days work, Sunday however is double time plus a day holiday in lue so I've been told :o but that needs to be confirmed.

I think this has to be a contender for 'Thread of the Year' - thanks to it I have now discovered that newspapers are breaking the law every day by publishing photos with people in them.

This last week I've been in the UK. Driving along the A16 through the Linolnshire Wolds I was impressed enormously by the way the road authorities have tackled advising drivers of dangerous bends - maybe this would work on Richmond Hill (but alas is a cheap and therefore possibly inappropriate solution fo the DoT).

The A16 is a very twisty road with uphill sections topped by bends. As you approach them:

1. There are warning signs in advance of the bend
  2. There are a series of yellow 'rumble lines' painted on the road - one line, then as you get closer two lines and then closer still three lines
  3. On some bends there are the black and white 'sergeant's stripes' to warn you further and point out the direction of the turn
  4. On more severe bends there is a high grip surface.

Very straightforward, not dramatically expensive, easy to do and good for drivers.

not dramatically expensive

And hence, sadly, not appropriate for use on Manx roads.

Yes too practical methinks and results in not paying people for odd bits of land.

1. There are warning signs in advance of the bend
  2. There are a series of yellow 'rumble lines' painted on the road - one line, then as you get closer two lines and then closer still three lines
  3. On some bends there are the black and white 'sergeant's stripes' to warn you further and point out the direction of the turn
  4. On more severe bends there is a high grip surface.

Very straightforward, not dramatically expensive, easy to do and good for drivers.

Many of the dodgy bends are also on the various racetracks - I have suggested many times that surface modulation be used but the TT etc are much more important than road safety measure that benefit 99% of the population - you cannot have anything that reduces speed.

Many of the dodgy bends are also on the various racetracks - I have suggested many times that surface modulation be used but the TT etc are much more important than road safety measure that benefit 99% of the population - you cannot have anything that reduces speed.

"surface modulation" - excellent - I had not heard that terminology before.

What you write, Frances, is really frustrating to read. Speed for a few weeks of the year is more important than safety throughout the year.

Just driving along that road in Lincolnshire was a clear demonstration of what can be done for relatively little (I assume) cost to make a road safe. When we can't afford front line health services but can afford unecessarily expensive road alterations it provides an insight into the lack of 'joined-up' and strategic thinking at political and departmental levels.

Guest hunyani

They haven't even seen what I have in store for them on Richmond Hill.

Is your avatar a pic of your wife?

Archived