Roadworks Watch

Silentbob

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you do it any quicker

Apparently in Scotland they are now using this New Zealand technology to deal with potholes:

Jetpatcher

It can repair up to 200 potholes a day with 2 men. Sounds far too fast for the Island and it costs less than a bendy-bus so is too cheap. Shame we couldn't hire one for a week or two though.

Can't we all just get along...............

No, the effing slow road works means it is difficult to "get along" to anywhere!

I get the feeling that a blind pensioner lacking in the limb department could do it quicker. I apologise to any blind disabled pensioners who might have this read to them and are insulted by the suggestion that DoT workers might be quicker than them.

I have said this before but whether it is down to lazy arsed workers, poor working practices, not enough numbers on a job etc I do not know, but the amount of time jobs take over here verges on the ridiculous. The road widening on Lord Street should have been done within two weeks. If the DoT could not do within that time they should have paid somebody with the man power and machinery who could. It is a main artery into Douglas and its closure causes traffic to back up badly. Especially in the morning. Alternatively get the road done and reopened and then work on the pavement. Presently a cursory glance gives the impression that very little appears to be happening on the road except it is used to park all the DoT Vehicles on.

The widening of Glen Vine Road, again not a huge job is now into its seventh week. It was originally intended to be done within five. I am not sure about what is happening at Union Mills but surely could these three gangs not have been combined, placed on one job at a time and blitzed it rather than be spread out so each job appears to take an absolute age.

The length of time jobs takes pisses the public off and whilst I am sure many DoT workers are grafting like in any profession there are guys who do not pull there weight. As a member of the general public seeing what appear to be short shifts and long tea breaks when I am already pissed off by the disruption only reinforces prejudices. As does seeing guys just sat in lorries for hours on end waiting for them to be loaded. Why can they not get out of their cabs and help etc etc

I am sure that you will find they are also using it in the IOM and have been for some time...

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/transport/highways/Publications/2008/highways_monthly_augv4.pdf

I must apologise, it's just that I have seen masses of potholes and have never seen this machine working away.

I am sure that you will find they are also using it in the IOM and have been for some time...

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/transport/highways/Publications/2008/highways_monthly_augv4.pdf

I must apologise, it's just that I have seen masses of potholes and have never seen this machine working away.

I saw something like that working away near the Droghadfayle Road level crossing and the patches seem to have lasted.

However, if it was also used on the St Mark's to Ballasalla road then the repairs fell apart after only a few days (if that) and it might not be the answer to our pothole prayers at all.

It might just be that the repair failed becuase of the number of heavy vehicles using the road and the location of the pothole on a bend but the (w)hole thing is back potholed and there's a hell of an amount of loose stone still rolling around.

Note I didn't see the machine on the St Mark's road but the repair looked similar after it was finished - the aggregate used to 'prevent adhesion to tyres' stands out at bit.

I saw something like that working away near the Droghadfayle Road level crossing and the patches seem to have lasted.

However, if it was also used on the St Mark's to Ballasalla road then the repairs fell apart after only a few days (if that) and it might not be the answer to our pothole prayers at all.

It might just be that the repair failed becuase of the number of heavy vehicles using the road and the location of the pothole on a bend but the (w)hole thing is back potholed and there's a hell of an amount of loose stone still rolling around.

Note I didn't see the machine on the St Mark's road but the repair looked similar after it was finished - the aggregate used to 'prevent adhesion to tyres' stands out at bit.

Yes thats what was used. and thats what it is for. a quick patch to keep the road open and no massive pot holes.

Its really the best thing for doing holes with a lot of heavey traffic, but its better than having pot holes everywhere and prob safer.

so really its a stop gap till they patch it right

Can't we all just get along...............

No, the effing slow road works means it is difficult to "get along" to anywhere!

I get the feeling that a blind pensioner lacking in the limb department could do it quicker. I apologise to any blind disabled pensioners who might have this read to them and are insulted by the suggestion that DoT workers might be quicker than them.

I have said this before but whether it is down to lazy arsed workers, poor working practices, not enough numbers on a job etc I do not know, but the amount of time jobs take over here verges on the ridiculous. The road widening on Lord Street should have been done within two weeks. If the DoT could not do within that time they should have paid somebody with the man power and machinery who could. It is a main artery into Douglas and its closure causes traffic to back up badly. Especially in the morning. Alternatively get the road done and reopened and then work on the pavement. Presently a cursory glance gives the impression that very little appears to be happening on the road except it is used to park all the DoT Vehicles on.

The widening of Glen Vine Road, again not a huge job is now into its seventh week. It was originally intended to be done within five. I am not sure about what is happening at Union Mills but surely could these three gangs not have been combined, placed on one job at a time and blitzed it rather than be spread out so each job appears to take an absolute age.

The length of time jobs takes pisses the public off and whilst I am sure many DoT workers are grafting like in any profession there are guys who do not pull there weight. As a member of the general public seeing what appear to be short shifts and long tea breaks when I am already pissed off by the disruption only reinforces prejudices. As does seeing guys just sat in lorries for hours on end waiting for them to be loaded. Why can they not get out of their cabs and help etc etc

I think you will find it is due to "lazy arsed workers" who are not concerned about losing their jobs. Bosses talk about banging their heads against a brick wall when they try to get the men to do some work.

What can they do when the guys refuse to pull their weight, don't say dismiss them, can you see that happening in the IOM PS?!!!

There are lots of grafters in there working too but they are in a minority.

I think you will find it is due to "lazy arsed workers" who are not concerned about losing their jobs. Bosses talk about banging their heads against a brick wall when they try to get the men to do some work.

What can they do when the guys refuse to pull their weight, don't say dismiss them, can you see that happening in the IOM PS?!!!

Funny thing is i hear the other side of the story or there view.

and they say its the bosses fault for not sorting the jobs out and have to stand around waiting.

i worked with both and you get some good bosses and some good workers.

there is one boss who is great to work for on there jobs,

the job is all worked out and everything is planned out, he knows what staff will work so makes sure he gets them ones on his jobs and in the past year or 2 all his jobs have come under budget and under time.

if there was more like him then things would be a lot better.

id say over half the lads there bosses and workers would not last a month on a real building site

Its prob a bit of both.

Like 2day one i know said that he used the shovel 3 times today that is it, rest time he sat in the wagon or looking busy.

said its driving him mad at the moment cause the days feel like 20 hours long,

something needs to be done in both areas IMO bosses and workers a like

Funny thing is i hear the other side of the story or there view.

and they say its the bosses fault for not sorting the jobs out and have to stand around waiting.

i worked with both and you get some good bosses and some good workers.

there is one boss who is great to work for on there jobs,

the job is all worked out and everything is planned out, he knows what staff will work so makes sure he gets them ones on his jobs and in the past year or 2 all his jobs have come under budget and under time.

if there was more like him then things would be a lot better.

id say over half the lads there bosses and workers would not last a month on a real building site

Its prob a bit of both.

Like 2day one i know said that he used the shovel 3 times today that is it, rest time he sat in the wagon or looking busy.

said its driving him mad at the moment cause the days feel like 20 hours long,

something needs to be done in both areas IMO bosses and workers a like

Fair comment

Could that over 50% be applied over the whole of Government CS and PS?

I tend to think so

The issue is that a lazy element in any organization is damaging to the whole. However, when we talk about the DoT, the lazy hold a majority vote. I have to believe there are a number of good honest workers in the DoT, I really REALLY have to, otherwise the whole situation would drive me quite mad.

I could not really give a flying rat's arse about hurting someone's feelings, or warping the occassional fragile little mind if the outcome is that the strokey beard decision makers in the DoT realise that the jig is well and truly up; and that for our measly 500 miles of surfaced roads, they could easily resurface the whole fucking lot in a year with the staff and equipment they have. I would be seriously suprised if they did not have a vehicle purely designed to remove single leaves from an erupting volcano by now given the budget they get.

Oh, and by the way, I see you are now resorting to hiding across the road in the steps leading down to the railway station to try and evade my camera(s).....this is futile ;)

Archived