Schools Out Friday And Then Waht To Do!

thelegend

Maybe if there was some sort of entertainment park/facility on the Island, something Tower Park in Dorset.

You know the deal, bowling alleys, cinema, arcades, water parks, wet/dry ski slopes, indoor climbing walls, laser quest etc.

Something that can be used all year round and by all ages.

or maybe an outdoor adventure site. Archery, high ropes, assualt courses, riding etc.

There's two cinemas, a couple of arcades, some good swimming pools, a couple of indoor climbing walls, laserblast and a venture centre on the island, and a whole load of stuff for kids that isn't available for much of the UK that isn't on your list.

2 cinemas showing 2 films. Not the multi screen, multi showing complex I was thinking of.

Some good swimming pool. Not water parks with flumes and wave pools etc.

Need I go on? Small thinking examples there Slim.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 cinemas showing 2 films. Not the multi screen, multi showing complex I was thinking of.

Isle of Man, population ~ 80,000. Elsewhere - mich bigger population and cachment areas.

Good point GD!

Apart from the RESA, IRIS, Horses Home Car Park, Power Station, Retractable Bollards, Onchan School and Control Tower, we are far too small for such Rolls Royce projects. :D

MDO obviously has no kids. All his suggestions involve money. Unless of course he is suggesting that they're all government subsidised. :D

If only we had a felt museum when I was younger..................

Isle of Man, population ~ 80,000. Elsewhere - mich bigger population and cachment areas.

Romford, population 36,500.

Here is the listings for one cinema there:

http://www.google.co.uk/movies?hl=en&near=romford&ei=_8BJTJ7TD5XJ4AbtyOGaDA&tid=716455a967c1f526

Basingstoke, population 82,000.

http://www.google.co.uk/movies?hl=en&near=basingstoke&ei=acFJTP3CMouL4AawnaGaDA&tid=ac8fd967a375cf7d

Just two quick examples of how a population of 80,000 should not limit the IOM in anything.

Send 'em tombstoning, like you see on the tv ad.

I can't believe that you have to ask what kids can do - there are so many things available - see "What's On" in the Courier for starters, and what other people have said already.

Can't the kids use their own imaginations, or haven't they got any nowadays?

When I was a kid, I went out walking or cycling, exploring the countryside, watching wildlife, and so on, and if I wanted to explore further, had a day rover on the bus. If only I had been close to the sea then....

When it was wet, I'd be indoors reading, making things, playing solitaire, completing crosswords etc if on my own, or if there was someone else about, there'd be games of chess, card games, monopoly, etc. No computers in them days.

What on earth is the problem?

Just two quick examples of how a population of 80,000 should not limit the IOM in anything.

They're not really though, are they? Both are urban centres with a catchment area much larger than their populations. For Romford, it's the centre of Havering, which has a population of 230,000, and is sufficiently close to Dagenham and other areas to draw people in. Similary, Basingstoke can draw people in from much of North Hampshire, with the region its in alone offering a potential market of 160,000 or so.

In other words, it's not so much a question of population alone, but also of geography. This is simply island life. Get used to it and make the most of what is there; which is actually quite a lot, examples of which others have provided.

2 cinemas showing 3 films, there's two screens at the palace. I was there this week, watching the superb toy story 3. Screen one was about 30% full. Three screens is enough, there's no demand for any more.

The NSC has two flumes, and a whirlpool. Our facilities are superb for our population, and they're all close by and supported by other activities that many don't have access too. Yeah, you do need to go on, you've not convinced me of anything.

Thought of something else for the OP, give em a load of materials, wood, boxes etc and tell em to make a den in a corner of the garden. Lasted mine a few days that did!

Well the kids must have made up their own minds in ramsey tonight !!!!

Skools out lets get pissed thats what mum and dad are doing !!!

Outside shoprite one girl was shouting for hu hu huey at half seven must have had to be in bed for ten , but who with !!!!!! ;)

They're not really though, are they? Both are urban centres with a catchment area much larger than their populations. For Romford, it's the centre of Havering, which has a population of 230,000, and is sufficiently close to Dagenham and other areas to draw people in. Similary, Basingstoke can draw people in from much of North Hampshire, with the region its in alone offering a potential market of 160,000 or so.

In other words, it's not so much a question of population alone, but also of geography. This is simply island life. Get used to it and make the most of what is there; which is actually quite a lot, examples of which others have provided.

Yes................I can see that Romford looks far more attractive.

The%20Brewery%20Centre,%20Romford,%20Essex.jpg

That's a worse suggestion than museums for kids under 15. How many have the money to go to something like that more than 2 or 3 times in the whole holiday? And how many of them things require adult supervision?

It sounds good, but it's not something most kids would find themselves doing frequently.

with school finishing friday can we all list the things to do on the island during the summer with the kids!

No.1 Take full responsibility for your children and what they do.

You appear to be a proper, caring parent but, apparently, this has become "unfashionable" with many "modern" parents.

with school finishing friday can we all list the things to do on the island during the summer with the kids!

You appear to be a proper, caring parent but, apparently, this has become "unfashionable" with many "modern" parents.

Aren't "you" overreacting a "bit"? "The" OP was "asking" for some "suggestions" for "things" to do over the "summer", in "what" way is that shirking "from" taking "responsibility" for their "kids" and what they "do"?

To MilitantDogOwner - some children actually like going for walks and looking in museums. My two like rambling through the glens and they like the House of Mannanin etc as do many other children too.

read before you jump down people's throats :lol:

things to do on the island during the summer with the kids

Aren't "you" overreacting a "bit"?

(Clearing my throat of a recent obstruction) Aren't you?

Archived