Trevor Baines

Max Power

1 hour ago, Mysteron said:

It seems Trevor did have something in common with Royalty.   In his interview with Paul Moulton, his version of events regarding his criminal convictions appears to suggest he was somewhat an unfortunate victim of circumstances.  When pressed by Moulton, Trevor didn't want to discuss it further.  The jury obviously didn't agree with Trevor's perception.  "Recollections may vary", as the late Queen once famously said.

After all it was only £110 million. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/nov/12/trevor-baines-jailed-laundering-scam

Edited by Newsdesk

27 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Long story, but I was privy to quite a bit of inside info on this.

I don’t believe he actually knew or suspected the laundered funds ($100M) were of a dubious nature.  However I also don’t believe he did sufficient due diligence upon them to come to a sensibly informed decision that would have been expected from the Director of a T/CSP taking in millions.  In this instance ignorance was not an excuse.  My understanding of his business was that he had old family money form import/export amongst the colonies of the Empire.  He therefore had lots of rich family contacts and offered to set some offshore Companies and Trusts up for them as he lived on the Isle.   He had little actual fiduciary knowledge or skills.

The theft of the funds from the Trust (£800K to pay his legal fees) was however pretty clear.  I don’t believe that Ms Holt was involved in this theft at all and was actually busted for accepting the funds in payment of her and QC fees.   She was taken advantage of by Baines who assumed a surrogate father/sugar daddy role.  Luckily she eventually had her conviction quashed and has managed to successfully move on with her life.

Remember of course that the guy whose money Baines laundered, never served a day in prison here or in the US (where he actually did a deal with the SEC).

He was certainly hung out as a sacrificial lamb however by the Police/FSA etc here to show how tough the Island was to the OECD on money laundering.  Things like the ‘gun offences’ he was also busted for, which were a selection of antique firearms hanging on a wall was evidence of this.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

Snobby but classless I believe Wendy used to do a party trick on the steam train booze ups in the 80s where she’d sit astride the bar with no knickers on and let them try to flick ice cubs into her snatch. 

i thought you had to try and miss it ?

• Haha 7

46 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I've just googled it to check. He lived by me. It was the 1st August .

You can't just say "I googled it to check". That is meaningless. Google and that there internet aren't authorities for anything (about 10 years ago I was involved in a complex legal case where an advocate produced expert medical evidence by printing off pages from Wikipedia...)  Can you provide a link please.

By saying he lived by you, do you mean to say you saw him taking a dander down the road to The Thirsty Pigeon over July, or something?

6 minutes ago, AOR said:

You can't just say "I googled it to check". That is meaningless. Google and that there internet aren't authorities for anything (about 10 years ago I was involved in a complex legal case where an advocate produced expert medical evidence by printing off pages from Wikipedia...)  Can you provide a link please.

By saying he lived by you, do you mean to say you saw him taking a dander down the road to The Thirsty Pigeon over July, or something?

He lived less than 50 metres from me . And often we would exchange greetings . I dont really care what you choose to believe but my recollection was it was around beginning of August and checking it confirmed it.    

Edited by Numbnuts

32 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

He lived less than 50 metres from me . And often we would exchange greetings . I dont really care what you choose to believe but my recollection was it was around beginning of August and checking it confirmed it.    

I'm not doubting you. I'm interested.

Do you have a link for your check on 'Google'.

Edited by AOR

11 minutes ago, Kopek said:

So why is it taking so long to bury him? Foul play?

Sudden death would mean a post mortem I would think. 
maybe they are also waiting for people to travel. My father’s funeral was four weeks after his death and there was no PM

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

My understanding of his business was that he had old family money form import/export amongst the colonies of the Empire.  He therefore had lots of rich family contacts and offered to set some offshore Companies and Trusts up for them as he lived on the Isle.   He had little actual fiduciary knowledge or skills.

Yes it was his dad who made most of the family money out of Africa. I believe they got a cut of pretty much everything that was imported and exported from Botswana in the 50s/60s & 70s hence the origination of Africa House. I think the best that you could say was that he was “old school” and never asked the right (or indeed any) questions and thought that the IOM was still in 1980 when it came to KYC & DD. He was certainly hung out to dry but made himself a fairly easy target to be honest just by being clumsy then nicking funds to pay his legal bills. .

interestingly when he was moved out of Summerhill Mansion I believe his whole bondage room in the basement had to be dismantled before the new owners took possession. 

11 minutes ago, kevster said:

What’s happening with Africa House? It looks a mess

It was owned by my grandmother many years ago when it was called Woodside.  She sold it long before TB got there.  I had a look around when they were selling the contents off.  It used to be a lovely house, but is falling into ruin now. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

I've just googled it to check. He lived by me. It was the 1st August .

Anyway, according to his Facebook page, a friend announced death as being week previous (to 16th July 2022).

Maybe you could've kept a better eye out, as there would have been no movement 2-3 weeks before 1st August?

Edited by AOR