Snow !

Tempus Fugit

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can't believe the queues today, even just this afternoon, came through QB from the south direction about 4pm, in left lane indicating right, got the front of the car nearly wiped off by a mushroom

vomit coloured

Merc JMN

5xx

A (you know who you are, 'effin ignoramus) no apparent hold up there but a solid queue of traffic to the bottom of Bray Hill (at least, I turned off before then)

:angry:

According to the news the Dept of Indistruction had 5 teams out on FRIDAY night,in case they don't have a radio,the bad weather was affecting the Island from Thursday night,by FRIDAY MORNING it was solid ice,so Minister its time you put you clocks right,and your calendars up to date.

But the bad weather this morning was forecast early enough for the alarm to be reset earlier! :D

That depends which weather forecast you look at though.

On the BBC website yesterday they had the IoM forecast saying no prospect of snow and right next to it a link Heather with the weather on North West Tonight saying snow was likely.

Basically they just make it up don't they.

Website forecasts, including the BBC are pure machine product, with no human input at all. Most treat the IOM as 'sea', and so will have the forecast wrong. BBC NW tonight is particularly poor, especially Eno, who clearly knows nothing about the weather.

Ronaldsway's forecast is on all the local radio stations, and also the gov.im web site. They're not always right, but they're much closer to the truth than anything else, bbc and UK Met Office included. They certainly got last weeeks gales, and this weeks cold spot on.

According to the news the Dept of Indistruction had 5 teams out on FRIDAY night,in case they don't have a radio,the bad weather was affecting the Island from Thursday night,by FRIDAY MORNING it was solid ice,so Minister its time you put you clocks right,and your calendars up to date.

Gritters were out Thursday night/Friday morning. Pay more attention.

I carry a pair of tyre socks in the boot (they are shown about half way down the page). Much easier to fit than the tyre nets I used over the last 15 years. They don't need you to jack up the car and they take up very little space. They are very effective on snow and compacted snow/ice. At about £50-60 they are a great investment - or a Christmas present.

I found these comments which tell a bit more about personal experiences of their use. Seem useful for both rear and front wheel drive vehicles.

You base your criticism not on the words of the Department but Manx Radio, last night, who understandably are talking about the situation as it is happening. If I say there's a football game on today, it doesn't mean there wasn't a match yesterday, so Manx Radio are saying "gritters are out tonight" and making no comment about previous nights.

In any case is it really the minister's job to micro-manage the department to that level? You remind me of the fools on IOM today's comment section who sought to blame him for everything the department did. The problems in that department go back decades but people seemed to expect him to fix them all a few months after taking office. Would you prefer he was sacked and Quayle or Earnshaw or Henderson took over? Give him a chance.

I take my hat of to the DOT workers and the department at this time of the year they always receive criticism from every man and his dog, the island may be small but think of the roads they have to cover, it is a massive task. I have seen them gritting the roads when people have been up in arms because 'they went out too late' or 'didn't go out at all', trust me i work shifts and not with the DOT, they do go out.

I live in a cul de sac which has been terrible over the past two days, I gritted the area yesterday but when we awoke this morning the area was covered again and the road was worse than the day before. About 1pm today the DOT were round on foot gritting the road and the route to the main road. Thinking this was unusual I passed comment that I have never seen them doing it before to which the worker replied ' we were told to do the junction but it's like an ice skating rink here, its an accident waiting to happen, might as well scatter some of this (grit) while we are here'.

Normally I am a critic of the DOT, but this time of the year they do bloody well with what they have got!

I live in a cul de sac which has been terrible over the past two days, I gritted the area yesterday but when we awoke this morning the area was covered again and the road was worse than the day before. About 1pm today the DOT were round on foot gritting the road and the route to the main road.

in years gone by, people would grit there own roads and paths help out each other.

now we expect the govenment to it all,

it does not take much to go out to the salt bins collect some salt and do the roads we use around home

Gazza, We do grit the road ourselves but today the DOT beat us to it! It was a shock seeing the DOT doing it today but i thought fair play to them!

i wasent meaning you, sorry if it sounded like it. as i read you had done it the day before.

But if more people took the time like yourselfs to do a bit around there homes, then these places would be much safer.

its just the type of world we live in i think, where we think the state should do everything for us

Archived